Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Holographic/Remote rendering with Unity

Discussion in 'VR' started by ShayneK, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ShayneK

ShayneK

Hello, has anyone been able to get a remote rendering player successfully working with Unity? Our HoloLens app is all Unity/C# and we would love to integrate remote rendering if we can.

I have been able to get Microsoft's remote rendering examples working although they are all DirectX/C++. I have also been able to get a Unity/C# standalone host app (PC) working with the Holographic remoting app (HoloLens) from the windows store but it seems like its not possible to get a custom player app working on the HoloLens with Unity.

If anyone has it working with Unity please let me know. Also if it is not possible yet I would love to know too!

Helpful links:

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Hey @ShayneK I'm not sure what version of Unity you are using, or what Windows MR package version you are using, but we currently have an issue with Hololens 2 Remoting from Standalone x64 UWP apps. We're working with Microsoft to resolve the issue and will be pushing updated packages out for 2018.4 and up. If you are trying to remote to a Hololens 1 device, it should be working on all versions of Unity, with all of the latest package versions. If it's failing for you on Hololens 1, please submit a bug report through the Unity Bug reporter and post the bug number on this forum.

3. ShayneK

ShayneK

Thanks for the reply @EdBlais, our app is built on 5.5.2f1 but can upgrade to whatever version if need be.

Is there a code sample for the HoloLens 1 remoting player? I know it works for the host app (PC) as I have got that running with the windows store remoting player but I can't find anywhere that has documentation for the remoting player in Unity.

There is no bug to report as I can't even find a way to get started. I tried using what is in the UnityEngine but it seems that is only for the host app?

4. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Hey again @ShayneK I'd recommend upgrading to at least 2018.4, but I believe you can use roughly the same instructions back to 5.5.2.
    Remoting from the Editor: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/unity-play-mode
    Remoting from a UWP Player: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/holographic-remoting-player
    There aren't any samples for this, but it's very straightforward and can be done with an empty project after setting up Windows MR in the XR Settings section of the Player Settings.

5. ShayneK

ShayneK