Search Unity

Holographic Emulator hangs before Unity splash screen

Discussion in 'VR' started by davidadler, Aug 28, 2017.

1. davidadler

davidadler

I am running Visual Studio 2015 update 3, Unity 5.6.3f1, Holographic Emulator 10.0.14393.1358 and Windows 10 SDK 10.0.14393.798. I am just working through a Pluralsight course for HoloLens Development Fundamentals and I keep running into this issue when I deploy my app to the HoloLens emulator.

Whether I run without debugging or run with debugging and do not set any breakpoints, I see the start menu bloom just fine and then it clears and at the point where the Unity splash screen is supposed to display, I just get the small white cursor in the middle of the screen and nothing else ever happens.

However, If I set a breakpoint in the app.cs constructor and then step through the code, I can then see the splash screen appear and the app runs once I step through the Main method and the CoreApplication.Run(App) method call.

When looking at the ouotput log, when the program hangs, it stops at the point shown below.
    --------------------snip---------------------
    Direct3D:

Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]

Renderer: Microsoft RemoteFX Graphics Device - WDDM (ID=0x2c1)

Vendor: Microsoft

VRAM: 639 MB

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3f1 (d3101c3b8468)

'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\UnityEngineProxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\System.Linq.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'Example1.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles\Example1VS.Debug_x86.david.adler\System.Reflection.Extensions.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    The following GlobalManagers were stripped from the build (Either because they're not used or not supported on this platform):
    NetworkManager
    MasterServerInterface
    UnityAdsManager
    ClusterInputManager
    CrashReportManager

If your machine has multiple graphics adapters, Unity may have created a WindowContext on the wrong adapter. If you experience a black screen when playing, please restart the Editor.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/VR/VRDevice.cpp Line: 194)

--------end snip---------------------------

however, when the program runs correctly as a result of me setting a breakpoint and stepping through the code, the following lines appear after in the output window

-------snip-----------------------

UnloadTime: 36.962299 ms

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.

Thread -> id: 8d0 -> priority: 1

The program '[1480] Example1.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

--------end snip-----------------

My dev laptop has two adapters;
    AMD Radeon HD 8790M
    Intel HD Graphics 4600

I found a post on redditt r/HoloLens that talked about "Go into player settings -> other settings -> Color Space and swap it to Gamma rather than Linear", but my setting is already on Gamma so that doesn't seem to apply.

Any ideas?

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

This is a known issue in the older builds, this issue has been fixed. Can you try Unity 5.6.3p2