Search Unity

Holiday Rebate Coupon + Unity iPhone 1.0.1 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Dec 16, 2008.

1. JRavey

JRavey

If something goes on sale too often, it is no longer the "sale price". In fact, it would not surprise my one bit if all of the kvetching discourages future promotional offers because a resumption of normal pricing would be regarded as a price increase.

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

How can you seriously expect us to pre-announce possible discounts? Take a few minutes and try to imagine what that would do to sales up till that date :wink:

3. siliwangi

siliwangi

*sshhhhh AngryAnt p.m me the exact date,will send you some cookies :oops: :D *

lol forgot that,getting too excited :) ,i guess i need to <commit piracy - instructions removed by a moderator [HiggyB]>

4. Jessy

Jessy

I can't believe you just responded to someone who works for UT, telling him about how you're going to pirate their software. Unity has a fair trial period, and Indie has an ultra-reasonable price. I have no problem with people pirating something, in order to try it, if no demo is made available, but you can go to hell.

5. Discord

Discord

I can't believe you just said that.

6. siliwangi

siliwangi

joking :roll: ,well i can reinstall all over again to revert the trial then?this is not consider breaking the TOA(term of agreement) right?

7. kenlem

kenlem

The trial period is 30 days. Extending it without permission is breaking the terms of the agreement. Posting instructions twice on how to do it in the Unity forum borders on outright stupidity.

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, and please don't roll your eyes at anyone as many people (staff and users) simply don't think it's cool, funny or otherwise acceptable to joke about stealing from us (piracy is stealing, whether it's full licenses or illegitimate usage of our trial period beyond the 30-days allowed).

9. siliwangi

siliwangi

gee this is what you called friendly community?
    @HiggyB
    first i say sorry if any word above has taken into your term of stealing,it was not serious!you can just edit my post without accusing your customer as stealing with harsh rude word,and bear in your mind that your customer based not only from US,some jokes might hurtful in there but in our places just plain jokes, nothing more,so in here there is could be cultural differences and diff pov,i know that you are legal person but no need to treating your customer as a 'kids',in online you cann't pre-assume people ages and legal preferences(pirate,legal) by just looking at the used word,excessive emoticon use and user based location,i will fill in complain to your company about this matter.

i really respect with kenlem than your reply,because it towards professionalism than a 'stressfull' legal person.you can just edit/delete the message and p.m me about these,in my pov it's really absurd!.Next time i wouldn't joke no more,i started use joke after i heard from outsider how great and friendly this community are but none to my eyes,no tolerances at all about newcomer.To be honest it's really makes me thinks again to purchase the pro since this experiences,the user are friendly so far,but i really shock by your reply.

10. ryanzec

ryanzec

Just because a community is nice and friendly doesn't mean you can joke about anything. Would you think it was funny if I joked about murder? Now great you in the whole scheme of things, murder is a lot worse that pirating a piece of software however if you going on you as forums for a piece of software and then tell me how you are abusing their free trail or something to be able to use their software for free, you are not going to get a friendly response. Both users and staff benefit from people paying for the software. Staff for the obvious reason of staying in business and expanding and user so the the software they use now will be improved. With unity indie at 200, it is practically a steal in itself.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes it is, but being friendly does not extend toward tolerating behavior that harms the product we enjoy (and in some cases depend on), and the people who make it. And I'm not buying the "hey, guys, it was just a joke" routine.

--Eric

12. siliwangi

siliwangi

I understood that situation but the main thing that i highlighted here are the way HiggyB responded,like i said before if somewhat my post are somewhat 'harming' the community,he can just edit or delete my post then p.m me my post quote and responded something like this,your post on ... had been been edited because it's totally irrelevant and illegal by our TOA,please read our TOA here ...,thank your for your cooperation.

Thats it,nobody hurted and totally professional.The main problem here is he lets his own emotional involved,accusing his CUSTOMER as a stealer,for example i was on 3dgs forum,in there we have a inside jokes about calling pirate user as the 'bunnies' and when i search the internet i found new version of the 'free' 3dgs,i reported back to the company(conitec) forum,the mod in there just delete my post and p.m me with nicely explanation why,i even send(p.m) them all required details to prevent this on the future.

iam sorry to all of you if you cann't see it as jokes,probably i just too NEW so that i have forgotten that my un-conservativeness before from 3dgs have been brought here into conservatie unity3d community,now i know the differences,but still unity3d need more educated their employee towards professionalism.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Cool, I don't believe I've been called conservative before. :eek: I'll add it to my collection....

--Eric

14. siliwangi

siliwangi

lol,normally afaik,non-conservative or conservative terms used on environment that doesn't offer much freedom of speech,action,etc.Why iam saying this?before in 3dgs forum we have a specific 'offtopic' forum discussing something related to infinity,from atheism,darwinism,religion,even alien lol,just funny how a game dev discussing something irrelevant materials like these.

15. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Dude, your voting record is clearly stated in your profile... Reagan, Bush, Bush again, Dole, Bush, more Bush!, McCain... the facts speak for themselves ;)

As far as pirating Unity or joking about it... not here ok :roll:

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Wait, that info is visible? Hmm...apparently I was a bit of an underage voter there a couple of times. Hey, it was patriotic fervor. Don't tell, OK? :)

--Eric

17. Peter D

Peter D

Is there a news letter email. I can't remember ever getting one for some reason. Anyhoo if there is. Make sure you announce the coupon in that when it's available and email it out to me!

It would seriously wreck my day if a 25 - 30% + coupon went by without me even realising it existed! Not sure I could scrape together enough cash for the upgrade (even at that reduced price) but, I'd sure as heck give it a try.

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

This thread is from Christmas 2008, so over 9 months old

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Until you wrote that it's impossible to tell and so the response was offered. I'm fully aware of the fact that we have a world-wide customer base and all that, but you made an inappropriate joke and got called out on it by myself and others.

As always that's ok to do and I see that you've done that, my actions are public and open to comments, criticisms and feedback. But my response defensible in my book and I stand by what I said.

I honestly hope that you stick around and work with Unity, if you do you'll find that not only is it an incredibly powerful tool but also that both I and this community are very helpful and at the ready to offer information, guidance and assistance.

Yes, you can sign up for it on the home page of our site (http://unity3d.com). We don't announce all coupons via that channel though as some are targeted elsewhere so subscribing to that is not a 100% guarantee that you'll hear about all coupons. But sign up regardless as we use that as an information sharing channel so it's likely well worth it (and we don't spam you with tons of stuff, just the occasional tasty batch of news).

20. outtoplay

outtoplay

Has there been a Newsletter in recent months? I've been here for 6 months or so and have never seen one. Obviously the up to the minute stuff is here on the forum, just curious.

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I know we had one in July for Unity 2.5.1, Casual Connect and the Unity Summer of Code.

22. Peter D

Peter D

It occurs to me that, now you've moved your headquarters to SF in the US, shouldn't all sales be from there now. Wouldn't that immediately remove the 25% tax that is added in the EU?

It's a significant reduction in price for everyone in europe so I'm curious as to why it hasn't happened yet.

23. Bursar

Bursar

I think for UK buyers that VAT has to added and charged for online purchases, regardless of where the seller is in the world.

On a side note, what are the odds of another discount code coming up soon? ;)

24. jashan

jashan

Actually, while there's an easy way to get rid of the VAT in Europe (at least when you have a business), I'm not aware of a way of getting rid of the sales tax that is added in the US when buying from Europe. So, I'd really appreciate it if I can still buy upgrades for Unity products from a European location ;-)

But I guess for the American customers it would certainly be nice to be able to purchase directly from the US.

To make sure there's no confusion created: All you need to get rid of the VAT in Europe is a VAT-ID. That way, you'll have to pay the VAT for products you buy outside your own country in your own country. However, as you're usually having more income than spendings, and thus have more VAT on your income than on your spendings, usually any spending-VAT simply "disappears" (argh, seems like I'm in "I can't express myself properly"-mode today ;-) ).

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

What sales tax?

Not really...there's only sales tax added if you're buying from a company that has a physical presence in the same state you live in. Last I checked, none of Europe was a US state. :)

--Eric

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The San Francisco office has become "HQ" in the sense that it's where we'll base our sales, marketing, biz dev, PR, etc. (including David Helgason, CEO moving here), but engineering will remain in Europe (focused around Copenhagen of course). Through all of that we are still in day-to-day operation, and recognizing sales, as a Danish company. We are simply not yet recognizing sales here in the USA yet as there is a mountain of paperwork, banking details and more that are all underway. So sit back, chill out and wait for it y'all! :)

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not all in the europe are part of the "rip your own inhabitants" contracts formed amoung various EU parties so there are enough that don't pay VAT on digital downloads :D

28. Veli

Veli

It's only taxes. You know, the thing that pays for your kids education and so on. Makes libraries possible. You just need to live with it.