Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Rebate Coupon + Unity iPhone 1.0.1 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Dec 16, 2008.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

For those not on our newsletter mailing list and those not combing our site every day I'm here to share today's big news!

Holiday Rebate Coupon
    To help celebrate the end of an incredible year we're offering everyone the chance to get 20% off of any purchase made in our online store. Please feel free to use ENDOFYEAR08 as a rebate coupon code, but move fast as it's only valid through the end of December!

Unity iPhone 1.0.1 Released
    We're very excited to announce the release of Unity iPhone 1.0.1! This update release contains both new features as well as a variety of bug fixes. It's a free update for all existing Unity iPhone users so folks should go and get the new installer and update your build today. For more information about this release please visit the following URL:

What's new in Unity iPhone 1.0.1

w00t! :D

2. Jessy

Jessy

Yea!

.m4a and .mp3 support is good! Was .aac left out because it is more processor-intensive?

That's a great deal for the store!

3. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Congrats with the release, right on time for the loads of christmas iphone apps :D.

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Cool, sounds like a great opportunity to drop everything, buy Unity, and enter uDevGames, and win. :)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=16466 (shameless plug)

The extension .m4a is one of the extensions for AAC -- the one the iTunes uses. :)

Cheers,
    -Jon

5. Jessy

Jessy

So it is! I've done listening tests, and preferred AAC over mp3, but all of the music I keep is in Apple Lossless format, which carries the .m4a extension. I completely forgot the detail you pointed out.

I've already played with audio a little bit in 1.01. I'm much more of a happy camper now.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

Two great news in one day :)

Sure my Development Account won't like it as much as I do but count me definitely in as one of those who will fully upgrade the "indie stuff" to Pro on Unity as well as the iPhone. Just have to wait for a pending payment and I'm in :)
    Both gave me great pleasures and financed their upgrades themself again.

Great job there and thank you for proofing that I'm a fool on some assumptions, but a happy fool :D

7. kenlem

kenlem

dreamora - I'm with you. I was planning on upgrading to Unity Pro and iPhone Advanced at some point in the future. A 20% discount is enough to get me to do it now.

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Awesome gang, we're glad that the rebate coupon is sufficient encouragement to get you on board with those upgrades. Happy Happy, Joy Joy. :)

9. ikiman

ikiman

Damn! I just updated to Unity Pro yesterday. :cry:

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Unfortunately that sort of thing happens, no matter when we put a rebate coupon out there there will always be some folks that just bought a license. I'm sorry that you fall into that category and hope that you're still happy with the upgrade to Pro as it's still the same awesome-kick ass tool it's always been. :D

11. ikiman

ikiman

I know Tom, in the good side, I must to say I received a couple of interesting job offers recently, so I'm happy to have Unity Pro now. :D

12. kenlem

kenlem

I am now the proud owner of Unity Pro and iPhone Advanced! Thanks for the 20%!

13. yangmeng

yangmeng

Can the end of the year discount be combined with other discounts?

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

i have Unity Indie license and two days ago i have upgraded to iPhone Basic.
    Now i would like to upgrade to Unity Pro, Asset Server and iPhone Advanced.

Can i use 20% discounts for all three upgrades?

In the Store you could add the upgrade path for situations like mine.
    ( in fact if i select "upgrade to Unity Pro", i can chose asset server but not "iPhone Advanced Upgrade from iPhone Basic")
    For now it's not a problem if i had upgrade Unity Pro( with asset server) and iPhone advanced separately with the 20% discount for both.

Thank you

Andrea

15. taumel

taumel

This one made me smile.

16. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

17. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Fantastic demo, thanks, beautiful to watch!

18. drJones

drJones

that's great - the mouse shake is a nice touch.

happy holidays : )

19. taumel

taumel

Missed it too. It's the first one i know where the flakes/logos (nice idea) can break out of the glass. ;O) Honestly i don't like the colours in the scene but the tune is catchy.

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can and the path already exists :)

just take Unity Pro upgrade + asset server + iphone advanced

then on the next page enter your Unity Indie + iphone basic key and you will get the iphone basic upgrade reduction as well :)

I'm going to do the exact same thing actually

21. Scrat

Scrat

Wow, Unity Snowflakes :D

Really cool!

22. briancarroll

briancarroll

The coupon is tempting to purchase now, but I am primarily a windows developer. If I buy unity indie or pro 2.x now with the coupon, will I be elgible for a free upgrade to a version or indie or pro which allows authoring on windows when it comes out? Or will that require another paid upgrade in the future?

23. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

All users of 2.x will get a free upgrade to 2.5 (which will be the first version available on Windows) when it comes out.

Ethan

24. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, you cannot "stack" rebate coupons, you can only use one rebate coupon per-purchase.

Yes, just do it in steps:

1. Upgrade from Indie to Pro (use the coupon)
    2. Upgrade from iPhone Basic to iPhone Advanced (use the coupon)
    3. Add an Asset Server Client add-on (use the coupon)

The path is there, just walk through it all and you'll be all set. :)

As Ethan indicated Unity for Windows will be a part of a Unity 2.5 release and that will be a free upgrade for all existing Unity 2 owners.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I tried to make order now but all 20% rebate is eaten from 25% VAT!

and i will have my VAT number only in january!

So i think i will have no advantage with this Gift.

In any case thank you for the opportunity.

26. jashan

jashan

Don't know about Italy - but in Germany, last year, I got the VAT-ID within a few days. I was really suprised how quick that went.

... so - good luck! Maybe you'll still get it in December! ;-)

27. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Or you can turn that to a positive and say that the rebate eats away nearly all the VAT tax. :p :)

Hopefully your VAT ID comes through quickly and you can take advantage of the rebate!

28. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Yay, just upgraded to Unity iPhone Advanced. :)

29. nickavv

nickavv

Oh, if I had an extra thousand-some bucks... ;)

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You've got two kidneys right? :eek:

31. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Speak for yourself! :-( ;-)

32. Jessy

Jessy

Ug, don't get me started! I'd be taking advantage of this deal if we didn't have to pay my girlfriend's hospital bills: she has a completely blocked kidney right now, from two stones, and no insurance. :cry:

33. soulman901

soulman901

HOT DAMN!!! This is too good of a deal to pass up. And I don't even own a Mac. I'll be ordering tomorrow.
    Merry Christmas to myself and Humbug to Garage Games. I'm fed up with their crappy lack of documentation and support.
    Good show Unity!!!

34. kevinr

kevinr

depressing.. wish I waited to upgrade.. considering I upgraded only a couple weeks ago. And the only reason I upgraded was for bytecode stripping, and it doesn't even work. (screws up gui). oh well.

35. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

@kevinr: Oh? Had no problems with stripping. Works perfect with me and also with using the gui very much on the phone.

36. kevinr

kevinr

I don't want to hijack the thread. But when I open up my GUI, the sliders and selectiongrids are missing..

and I'm not the only one... others are noticing it... http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=17056

If microsoft or Sony price dropped their consoles so soon after release, they would piss off a lot of customers who were early adopts of their products. That's kind of how I feel. Especially considering upgrading to pro/advanced for the sake of the iphone has posed no advantage. 20% in this case, is a lot of money. IMHO, it's too soon to discount a product, when it's only been out for less than 3 months.

It was bad enough having to pay 1500$ for a product that I will probably never use and don't want to buy right now. (the argument that they are tied together is moot.. because it is a separate product right now..)

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

So by that logic we shouldn't offer a special discount for folks as a way to celebrate the end of the year and to thank our customers just because we released our iPhone support in October?

I sense that you're mixing issues here and that the frustration in your case has nothing to do with the discount being offered so much as it has to do with your frustrations over things not working properly for you (which sounds bad so I'll give your thread a read).

We're not "discounting a product", we're offering an end of year discount for any license available in our online store.

I am stunned and saddened by how many people have complained about us offering a _discount_... <sigh> :(

38. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Tom, maybe it's just that all the people happy about the discount didn't write here. Well, I am happy with it!!! :)

39. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you could only see my email Inbox, we sent an announcement email to thousands of people and I've had way too many negative comments and complaints this week to keep positive about it today. As an end of year celebration we decided to cut our own revenue by 20% and let those that do buy during this period save a few $/€/¥ and somehow that's a bad thing.

Believe me, I trust that there is more positive support for this effort than negative, it's just getting under my skin today. I'll get over it, we'll offer discounts again in the future and all will be well. But for now, Happy Holidays indeed...

:cry:

</my whining>

40. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oh dear, sad to hear. I'm sorry for you. If I could only beam a good bottle of wine over to you.

<MartinTryingToBeFunny>

Hey, my wife asked today what you guys will come up with next. I upgraded all my Unity software to the maximum versions and now there is nothing left anymore to spend money for in the UT shop! :)

</MartinTryingToBeFunny>

Best
    Martin

41. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No worries, we're having our SF office holiday dinner tonight so I'll be just fine, thanks! :)

42. jashan

jashan

Hey Tom - take it easy, I'm very happy about the discount, too (even though I won't be able to use my Unity Awards discount unless we get 3.0 in 2009 ;-) )! I think it's a really generous move especially since the Windows editor is somewhat within reach now (if I was a non-Mac user, I'd definitely get Unity now) ;-)

Right on!

Of course I can understand also that it's frustrating for people when they have just spent some money and could've saved 20% by just waiting a little longer. But then again: Hey, by buying UT software you support a really cool product and a cool company!

43. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

@Tom
    Hey bud don't worry, Unity is an awesome product and I, for one, am just happy it exists and is at a price point that I could initially afford. NOW I'M HOOKED! And I'll be upgrading to iPhone Pro before the discount expires.... if for no other reason than to help support the UT team!! You guys are an extraordinary group of people.

Happy Holidays.... now go get drunk! :wink:

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

In general, it's hard to avoid irritating customers who just missed out on discounts . An Apple Store rep told me they have something like a two-week grandfather clause for people who buy a product just before it gets replaced by a new product launch. Maybe Unity could grandfather customers who just missed the promotion by a few days, although that sounds complicated.

This isn't the first time Unity has offered a holiday discount, and it seems there are more complaints this time (or at least one more than before) - I think that's because of the timing with the Unity iPhone launch. If I was annoyed at missing out on any previous promotions, it was only a mild twinge, but this time around I admit I feel penalized for being an early adopter in buying Unity iPhone on launch day and then upgrading to Pro shortly after, essentially beta testing the product, and then missing out on $300 in savings less than two months later.

I'll freely agree that the price, support, community and product are great, by buying early you get to release you products earlier,and thus it's irrational to feel this way, but there it is. I'm not saying the discount is a bad idea - clearly several people are taking advantage of it to buy or upgrade (if I buy the Asset Server, the only product I haven't purchased, then I'll still make out!), but realistically you have to expect this reaction.

45. kevinr

kevinr

You don't understand because you didn't pay an extra $400 for a product, less than three weeks ago. Of which, I purchased the indie/basic version less than 3 months ago on launch day.

And all of us iphone folks fall into this boat, because we all paid for a product less than 3 months ago. It's like spitting in the faces of everyone who jumped on a product that was admittedly rushed to launch (still quite a few bugs). Then the update comes out, and the product gets discounted (temporary) an extra 20%. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but it is the reality of it.

Most retailers offer some sort of credit coupon to people who had made recent purchases of a product that has been discounted. Especially as deeply as 20%. 20% on a 2.5k product is a significant amount. Especially when every dollar counts.

Reality is, if I had gotten a chance to use the app for 6 months or a year, I wouldn't think twice about a 20% discount. But you can't say I got 400$ worth of product use in two weeks. And especially when bugs keep those paid for features from working. I can deal with bugs, I know they'll get fixed, I can wait... but the fact that it gets discounted, means I should have waited to pay, because buying early gives me no benefit and 400$ to lose.

It's a good thing that engineering and support are top notch for this product, cause the sales decisions are thoughtless.

46. drJones

drJones

same here, though i'm not in a position to buy anything now but i've taken advantage of it in the past. they've been doing it as long as i've been here and i think its one of the nice little things that makes UT what it is : )

47. seon

seon

Well, I would love to buys some UT merchandise.... a hat, teeshirt (yes, I got one of the last lot) and maybe even a mouse mat or mug!

You really need to expand your online store to sell merchandise!

48. soulman901

soulman901

Thank you Tom and Unity for this little Christmas gift. I have a license now and shall await the arrival of Unity 2.5 to use it. Can't use it right now as I am on a PC and don't have a Mac.
    However this will give me a chance to get organized to start using it.

49. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As if I've never bought software, goods or services that were discounted shortly after my purchase? You see, I have and I do understand and I still disagree with your sentiments.

I sincerely and completely disagree that this is like spitting in anyone's faces. No matter when we do it or how we do it, there will *always* be someone who just missed whatever cutoff point we offer, and those folks will invariably feel like they've been mistreated in some way. Sure, in six more months you wouldn't feel all that bad, but what about the other guy/gal that will have just purchased the tool?

Oh well, I think we're destined to disagree on this and I'm truly sorry you feel that we've spit in your face somehow, that wasn't the intent at all. No matter how I feel about this your thoughts are duly noted and registered in my mind for consideration next time around.

50. soulman901

soulman901

I was jilted by The Game Creators. I purchased Dark Basic Pro from Real Game Tools whic they said that's what I should do for US Support and special things they do. Well RGT went under a few months later and The Game Creators never picked up the Ball. If I had known RGT was going to go under, I would have purchased DBPro from The Game Creators to receive the special offers they give. I've even asked on more than one occasion and The Game Creators never answer. I've completely cut off all ties with that group anyway. The only decent person out of the group is Lee, but it's all controlled by Rick Vanner and his Nazi brigade of forum moderators.

One thing I would suggest is maybe a compromise of some sort? Maybe an early adoptor discount on the next purchase or how about some so of cool thing like a T-Shirt, Hat, Coffee Mug with the Unity Logo on it. I know I'd like one of those just to buy or maybe a poster. That would be cool.