Search Unity

Question Holes in Generated Planes

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by PatientZero, Jun 10, 2020.

1. PatientZero

PatientZero

Hi,

Is there a way to get holes in the generated planes?
    Lets say I wanted to place objects in the sink of the simulated kitchen environment, how could I achieve something like this?
    I played around with the plane extraction settings and that led to better detection of the bottom and sides of the sink but the "tabletop" plane always gets generated above the sink effectively sealing it shut.

Thx in advance.

2. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @PatientZero , couple points on this:
    • Ideally you'd use a ProxyGroup of two Proxies (one for inside the sink, one for the top surface), with an Elevation and or Distance relationship between them.
    • We don't currently support holes in our planes (many platforms don't, hopefully our planned mesh support will cover that though). However...
    • If you get the case of two planes, one above the other, then you could use the ProxyGroup trick above to at least show something, and Landmarks or Forces to keep the top content aligned with the edge of the bottom content.
    • If you are using the default plane visualizer, you might want to disable it's "DepthMask" material, so that planes can visually overlap with each other (this will allow you to see through the top plane onto the bottom one if it is there).