Search Unity

Question Hold on (Busy for TOO LONG)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chaos456, Mar 15, 2021.

1. chaos456

chaos456

Ever since I upgraded to Unity 2020 a few months ago, my work environment within Unity's editor has been incredibly painful to deal with cause of the massive amount of times the editor decides to either hang or show me a progress bar saying Unity's busy.
    Now, it wouldn't be an issue if they were a few seconds, a few minutes, but not a WHOLE HOUR.

All I did that caused this obscene waiting time was pressing SAVE.
    Several times now, way too many, has Unity been stuck in this window, nearing too often above 30 minutes of waiting for either of the following reasons:
    - Saving the scene
    - Duplicating assets
    - Clicking the dropdown list to select a shader
    - Clicking on prefabs
    - Creating shaders
    - Selecting either shaders, materials, or other minor assets
    - Unity just existing and refreshing assets

And to be completely clear, this happens in Unity 2020 onwards only, prior to 2019.3 Unity worked perfectly. I've been using Unity for a good 7 years already and this is by far the worst Unity has ever performed.
    Why? Why does this happen? What kinda change has made Unity become just a progress bar preventing me from doing anything for a good half of the time I'm using it? Is there some option I should change to get Unity to let me work the way I used to again?
    Please FIX THIS.

2. martlost

martlost

Screenshot

Hello, I have same problem/

When I click the shader dropdown on materials the process takes to much time and cant change shader.
    The process is "ınspectorWindow.MouseDown" as you can see in the image.
    I'am using 2020.3.0f1 version of unity.

bindon likes this.
  3. ibbybn

ibbybn

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  4. martlost

martlost

5. BPRICE

BPRICE

This saved my life!!! Thank you!!!!!

6. Unity-T-Games

Unity-T-Games

I can open unity anymore!
    please help

7. talkingcommunities_unity

talkingcommunities_unity

8. Tilla_

Tilla_

thanks man, I'm using 2020.3.12f1 and because of this problem, my desire to learn was going away, I did what you said, I did it, I hope I don't encounter an error in the future...

9. Vaupell

Vaupell

lovely,, still present in 2022.2.1f1, and all caches are below 10mb.. so clearly not that..

JzetaSwitchBlade likes this.
  10. Taka33Taka33

Taka33Taka33

This problem is occurring on version 2020.3.43f1.
    I deleted ShaderCache.db and then it will go into play mode quickly but all buttons are unresponsive, actually the entire Editor UI is unresponsive.
    Can a Unity dev please step into solve this?
    I am using this version for a game AI course at a top US masters program in CS.

11. Assafyudtha

Assafyudtha

Same here
    im using 2021.3.14f1
    i deleted the shadercache.db it much worse

12. ismailalma

ismailalma

Hello World! I'm using version 2021.3.19f1
    And I get the sign problem of (hold on busy "importing assets") a lot. it can appear even without any action from me. Does any of you guys have a solution for this? I didn't find the answer in google(

13. Kaldrin

Kaldrin

Hello there, we upgraded our project to 2020.3.3f1 and then to 2020.3.42f1. When we were in 2019 we didn't have such problems, or not that much.

Same problem as described above, just clicking on an object in the scene or saving a scene that has like one variable changed sometimes causes it to load for dozens of minutes. I simply can't work anymore...

14. iqoniqmind

iqoniqmind

How is there not an official solution to this issue? Unity staff, this is a real problem and some input would be splendid.

JzetaSwitchBlade and Kaldrin like this.
  15. RiualAzazel

RiualAzazel

In my case i got an empty while loop(it had a parameter, but no action), i accidentaly made, maybe that´s your problem as well

16. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

Hold on..

We still use 2019.3 for this reason but we also need to upgrade our Unity sometimes. Maybe Unity can branch out a new version from 2019.3 because this version is actually the last good unity version for this reason.

Prior to Unity 2019.3, everything worked perfectly. I am reaching out to the community to seek guidance and share my concerns about these problems.

The primary issue I am experiencing is the "hold on" problem, where Unity frequently stalls, freezes, or takes a considerable amount of time to load, causing significant delays in my workflow. This has been affecting my productivity and overall experience with the engine.

I have tried multiple solutions, including upgrading to the latest Unity version, optimizing project settings, and ensuring package compatibility. However, these attempts have not resolved the issue. I am eager to find a solution that allows me to work as efficiently as I did in previous Unity versions.

I understand that several factors could contribute to these performance issues, such as changes to the asset pipeline, editor performance, script compilation, or even bugs and regressions in the newer Unity versions. I am open to suggestions and would appreciate any advice or shared experiences from fellow Unity users who have faced similar challenges.

If you have encountered this issue and found a solution, please share your insights. Additionally, if anyone from the Unity team could provide guidance or acknowledge this issue, it would be tremendously helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and support. I am confident that with the help of this community, we can find a resolution and continue creating amazing projects with Unity.

I'm not sure I hold on for much longer..

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  17. luskos

luskos

In this regard Unity does not cooperate and make me wait 15 seconds On Hold for much anything I do in the Editor. I have really bad time with Plugins and assets from the Assetstore. Pretty much anytime I download something to test it out Unity start acting funny, sometimes I have to re-export the whole project Assets to a new until I found out what's causing the trouble.

Close down Unity and...
    Get rid of AppData>"PC">Local>Unity>Cache folder. Seems to do it for now, not sure yet, so far didn't see On Hold for no apparent reason.

Ony, Daniellos and wagenheimer like this.
  18. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Unity 2021.3.23f1, I've been using it for months, and out of nowhere, it started giving endless "Hold On" messages in the project. It's impossible to use.

Ony likes this.
  19. gooby429

gooby429

expected from early LTS versions i guess

20. ChromazoneX

ChromazoneX

Is there any way at all to reduce or stop them? I too am using Unity 2022.3.4f1 and have constant hold on messages when I click on anything or sometimes just when I move the cursor from Scene View to Inspector for example.

21. junaid109

junaid109

I am seeing this same error with Unity 2022.3.5f1.
    Any time I click on something regardless of project size or complexity.

22. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

This seems to have improved things here!

23. naktu

naktu

2021.3.11f1 suddenly started to get stuck at the beginning of the project. At the "busy hold on" message.

Deleting any folder didn't work however downgrading Unity version and upgrading it back to the original version worked

Started happening again. @Seanm07 suggested deleting Assets/Library and it worked.

Note: When stuck, after a while, on the task manager, about 20 "console window hosts", "unwrap CL" and "Unity Shader Compile" processes appear

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  24. pastuhLT

pastuhLT

Unity version 2022.3.12f1 and issue appeared from nowhere..
    In the Editor I have only 2 scripts and 4 models, and each time, I find myself waiting for about 15 seconds.
    Messages "Completing Domain" and "Hold on" ..

This issue is critical because it's wasting our time.
    It's ironic how solutions like "Hot Reload" exist, almost as if developers intentionally create problems to generate extra income.

This situation reminds me why I decided to stop dealing with this frustration back in 2019, then in 2021, and now again in 2023. It seems like web development is a better choice, as it only takes 0.1 seconds to compile code.

And yes.. the only solution is to delete Cache folder, which should exist by default..

25. heeyoung_abc

heeyoung_abc

face this issue after adding a few "print" statement for debugging. deleting shader.db or something like that doesn't work for me

26. eightbitbrainpower

eightbitbrainpower

This situation is disheartening. Like many others, I find myself consistently interrupted by the loading bar, which seems to appear for nearly every action I take in Unity, often accompanied by excessively long loading times. Happens in all versions I used, 2020/2021/2022 all LTS. With numerous discussions and complaints about this issue both here and on the internet, it's evident that it has persisted for years. Don't the Unity developers believe that ensuring a smooth user experience is essential? Frankly, it's baffling that this issue remains unresolved.

27. drsalvation

drsalvation

I always get disheartened when I need to go to sleep.
    I just want to shut down my computer and call it a night...
    Instead, I have to wait up to 5 minutes just for Unity to do whatever the hell it's supposed to do, before I'm finally allowed to sleep, which will only get worse if Windows has an update for me lol.