Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

HMDAcquired()

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by HamFar, Jan 26, 2015.

1. HamFar

HamFar

Hello,

I have the following code snippet in a Unity application that used DK1:

Code (csharp):
    1. if ( OVRDevice.IsInitialized() && OVRDevice.IsSensorPresent() && OVRDevice.IsHMDPresent() )
    2. {
    3.     print( OVRDevice.IsSensorPresent() );
    4.     oculusPresent = true;
    5.     standardController.SetActive( false );
    6.     sounds.TheController = oculusController.GetComponent<CharacterController>();
    7.     transform.parent = oculusController.transform;
    8. }
    Now that I am migrating the app to use DK2, of course I am first replacing all references to OVRDevice with OVRManager, but I wonder what would be the best way of updating this block of code, because there is the boolean variable ovrIsInitialized and the method OVR_Initialize() and a few other things...

I am going through the OVRManager file, but as a beginner, I find it a bit difficult to figure out how to do this in a succinct manner. I did notice though the HMDAcquired() method, so I tried to simply replace the first line of the old code with the following:

Code (csharp):
    1. if ( OVRManager.HMDAcquired() )
    However, I get an error message that reads:

error CS0070: The event 'OVRManager.HMDAcquired' can only appear on the left hand side of += or -= when used outside of the type 'OVRManager'

What am I doing wrong with HMDAcquired() and how can I re-write the old code using the new DK2 functions in an elegant way?

Thank you,

2. virror

virror

HMDAcquired() is not a function, its an event so thats why you cant use it like that.
    You can use OVRManager.display.isPresent to detect if a display are connected and OVRManager.tracker.isPresent to check if a tracker are connected.

HamFar likes this.
  3. HamFar

HamFar

Thank you! I now see what I was doing wrong...

I do, however, not get anything in return when I use the following code in my Start() though:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if ( OVRManager.display.isPresent && OVRManager.tracker.isPresent )
    2.             Debug.Log ( "Both display and tracker are present!" );

But when I use the following, it works:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if ( Ovr.Hmd.Detect() > 0 )
    2.             Debug.Log ( "Rift detected!" );
    Have you had this problem before?