Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Hit the shield, shockwave-like part effect

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by longlcqt, Oct 23, 2021.

1. longlcqt

longlcqt

I'm trying to create the particle effect on the shield at the video below. I feel like it can be done using VFX Graph but i'm new to this. Can somebody help me? Thank you very much.

2. Qriva

Qriva

Hello, I am going to assume you are talking about orange shield in 6' second of the clip.

If you are very new to VFX effects I would not recommend creating something like that. In reality most of nice effects require good knowledge of shaders and effect like this (above) does not require dedicated tool like vfx graph, because shader does most of the job.

In case you really need something similar, then I have seen this tutorial some time ago, but from what I remember this is not the best approach. The easiest way I can think of to tackle this problem can be spawning small "hit" animated particles in place where projectile hit the shield. There would be collider or something to detect where projectile shattered (hit) and you would spawn particle in this point with direction along the sphere normals (like decal on the sphere). This particle would require animated shader with hit effect.

Anyway if you are new to shaders it would be better to start with something more simple like this:

longlcqt likes this.
  3. longlcqt

longlcqt

Thank you very much for your support. Yes I'm talking about the "particles speading on the sphere's surface" effect.

If you have any sources or articles about creating this effect, that would be great.I don't mind if they are advanced. I'm very curious about this effect.

Here is my attempt with VFX Graph. I have spent hours tweaking it, but it's just not even close. Something needs to be done with the size/color over time, or maybe it needs a special texture for particle. I just can't figure it out. Hope I can get some advices from you.
    upload_2021-10-24_2-32-12.png upload_2021-10-24_2-32-22.png

I've just found this breakdown video. On the second 14, I think that is the effect I want to create.

4. Qriva

Qriva

Sorry, I don't have any tutorial related to this effect exactly. You can tackle this problem in many ways, for example in second 14 of the last clip I think there are actually real particles not just fake animated "decals" on sphere.
    The thing is real time vfx used in games usually can't afford zillion particles for just one effect, so artits "cheat" with well made textures and shaders - this is art of making good effects. The last video is more like cinematic, complex, expansive one plus it's well made, so don't expect to make such effect instantly.

I am not the expert, I would not be able to make such great effect, but if I had to tackle this with you current setup - for sure you need better texture, it's actually the key, but first I would find some breakdown of fading force/smoke effect to understand how to make it look good. You need to find and understand some tricks used in vfx effects, for example this video might not exactly make you closer with your own effect, but you can find there few techniques and rules used in vfx in general. Good luck :)

longlcqt likes this.
  5. longlcqt

longlcqt

Thank you very much, your reply is very useful. I know where to begin now. Very appreciated.