Search Unity

Hinge Joint Script with Oculus in Unity

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by OrlyisCode23, Jan 14, 2018.

1. OrlyisCode23

OrlyisCode23

So I have a gramophone with a crank that I want to be able to turn (rotate it around the x axis only) but so far using the Hinge Joint script I can only grab it and pull it away from the anchor point. Any thoughts how I can accomplish turn this thing like a crank with Oculus. There a ZERO tutorials for this. I attaced a picture with the script details. Any ideas? Lever.PNG

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You can use NewtonVR or VRTK for this

3. OrlyisCode23

OrlyisCode23

I didnt find any tutorial or proper documentation for NewtonVR. I have NewtonVR installed and tried to setup my scene like they did with the lever but it doesnt work. Just as a side question why doesnt anyone seem to know how to accomplish this with just the Oculus SDK? Im starting to think its worthless to use Oculus SDK. Maybe I should just go with SteamVR? I heard they are discontinuing VRTK? Sorry for all the questions.

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Look at NewtonVR door example you want todo something similar were you apply force on the point of interaction.

This has nothing to do with Oculus so I don't think their SDK should bother with VR interaction. If anything Unity should have their own package that you can import to get basic VR interaction ability.

We have built our own solution based on ideas from both NewtonVR and VRTK but perfected it alot

5. OrlyisCode23

OrlyisCode23

AndersMalmgren, I would love to know what kind of solutions you have built you have any tutorial or examples I could checkout?

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren