Search Unity

Hinge joint inconsistent in respecting rotation locks

Discussion in 'Physics' started by raithza, Jan 22, 2019.

1. raithza

raithza

Since upgrading to Unity 2018.3, I've noticed some weirdness in some joints we were using. After some frustrating debugging, I noticed that Unity can be very inconsistent in how it enforces angular motion when set to "locked".

This is hard to explain in words, so I've made a small video to exactly demonstrate the issue:

In that project, a simple rigidbody/collider/joint has been configured with a hinge joint, as one might do for a lever. All motion is locked except X Angular which is limited to [-45,45]. The "Hand" object has a configurable joint with motion locked and rotation free, attached to the end of that hinge joint (this is a simplified form of how one might model a hand grabbing onto that lever in VR). Note that if I move the hand to the left or to the right, the lever incorrectly rotates along the Y axis.

I then go and duplicate the lever/hand pair. When I start the project again, and attempt the same motion as I did before, the lever joint operates how I expect it to (ie it only rotates along its x-axis). Can anyone explain why this is, or how I might work around it?