Search Unity

Hinge Joint Help

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by agentcooper, Mar 22, 2008.

1. agentcooper

agentcooper

Hi guys, I have been looking through the scripting reference and through these forums but to no avail...

Can anyone give me a brief example of how to implement hinge joints in Unity? I am fairly confident with what the variables and functions that they provide but how do I create one? Is it a case of creating skeleton joints in the Modeling package (I am using Maya 8.5 btw) or is it done purely in the script?

I just want something basic like doors opening as I approach them...

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

How about just creating a game object containing your door mesh with the mesh pushed in local coords?

The result would be moving the centre of rotation to where the hinges of the door are.

3. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

4. agentcooper

agentcooper

Thanks for your responses guys. AngryAnt cheers for your idea but id really like to take advantage of the hinge properties. Checked out your games on your site by the way, very nice!

yellowlabrador that was perfect, just what i was looking for thanks!

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Oh those are not my creations. Merely games I admire. The scale of my involvement in them is simply aiding with suggestions and constructive criticism.

6. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Eric5h5 uploaded that as an example so I can understand hinges too :D

7. meshpig

meshpig

Should the standard character controller be able to move the door? I have it hinged properly but it doesn't budge.

What's the trick?

Thanks.

m