Search Unity

Hiiii! Question about moving a game from one engine to another....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LesleyBethFloyd, Mar 13, 2019.

1. LesleyBethFloyd

LesleyBethFloyd

I am so new to all of this, and I'm really trying to understand what my best option is.....I've searched the forums already and done some google searching but haven't really found the answer to my question. That could mean that the answer is no, and it could also mean that I don't know how to correctly ask my question. So if this is a dumb question or if it's been answered somewhere else, please forgive me and, if you don't mind, point me in the direction of where I might locate the answer. :)

I have created a game in a "visual programming" engine. It has grown and grown and become quite more complex than originally intended. After discussions with people who know far more about this industry than I do, I've decided it might be a good idea to switch to a more...well-known engine. My concern, of course, is that I'd have no idea where to start with recreating the game from scratch using a real programming language. So. Is there anyway, maybe if I export the game file to a Windows based game file or whatever, that I could save it and then load it into Unity? I would still have to learn more of the programming details, but I'd at least have the majority of my product there to work with already. Is this possible? I know that there is a visual editing asset (Playmaker, I believe?) but I'd prefer to keep my expenses as low as possible, as I'm working within a budget.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I doubt there is any feasible way to convert whole project from x name software.
    Is just two completely different ways, of storing data.

Hence you are better of starting from scratch in Unity, if you choose that way.
    There is lerarn section link down the bottom of the page.
    Go look inside, and practice it, while watching / reading.
    You will pick up stuff in no time, if you keen to learn.

Unity however, is working on visual programming. Saying that, you still will need to recreate all from scratch.
    Yet, is better probably now than go to far in other engine.

Good luck.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Importing assets such as textures, sounds, and models may be possible. The logic of your game though is going to need to be rewritten from scratch.

Unity code is in C# and it is generally considered not a good idea to try to write the majority of your code in a visual scripting language. If you do, it is unlikely to perform as well, and you'll have a lot fewer options if you run into a problem you need help with (the majority of people on this forum won't know how to help you with a problem if you aren't writing your code in C#, not to mention use of tutorials and videos to learn Unity concepts which will use C#).

4. JustColorado

JustColorado

There is no "auto-translate" feature for code between game engines. And you may get so frustrated trying to do it that you will give up on the project. I won't even change engine versions after I start a project.

I recommend, that you try finish the game to your best abilities in the original engine, and then if you need the capabilities of Unity or a different engine for your next project, learn how to use that engine before starting the next project. - Good Luck

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i'd second finishing out what you got as it is. Then take your lessons learned into a new project, and being that you'll have figured out a lot that will give you more room to breathe so that learning a new engine and language won't be as daunting.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are a few community projects that will let you load a scene from one engine into another. None of them are very good, you'll need some wok to refine everything. As far as I know, none do code translations.