Search Unity

Highly Unstable Unity Editor *!*

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Alturis2, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Alturis2

Alturis2

I was wanting to query to maybe get the pulse of the community a bit here. I have recently started using Unity for a project and have been thus far highly disappointed with its stability. The entire editor will crash or lock up many times every single time I sit down to do some development. If I work on something for an hour I will encounter at least one or two crashes during that time and sometimes many more. I am starting to get into the habit of obsessively and compulsively hitting Save Scene and Save Project before even thinking about hitting the Play button or clicking LAN Host, or trying to debug something.

It is getting to the point where I am starting to consider that I may need to look for an alternate engine solution.

Is anyone else in this same boat?

Is there any info from the developers on the status of stability or a hopeful upcoming update?

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

What version are you using?

3. Alturis2

Alturis2

Using the latest top of trunk build. 5.4.1

I am also working on a project that uses UNET Networking too and I have read some other forum posts about general instability with that. Could be what I am running into as well.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Could be. Please file a bug report. Also check your logs to try to see what is happening at crash. Unity, for me, has been very stable since about 5.3. 5.4.0f3 has been one of the most stable versions of Unity I have used. The early 5.x days were pretty crash prone, but they seemed to have stabilized it a lot. I haven't used 5.4.1, might be something related to that version.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yeah, hasn't really crashed here since about 5.2.2, but I don't do networking.

--Eric

6. CaptSpaulding

CaptSpaulding

I have the same issue with 5.4.1f1. It crashes randomly, even just sitting at idle. I had the same problem before I upgraded to the new version and haven't seen anything obvious to me in the crash logs.