Search Unity

Highlighting System [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slice3d, Jul 10, 2012.

1. moh05

moh05

Hello :)

I am using UIs Images in my card game. Can your plugin highlight UI elements? and is it mobile friendly?

Thanks!

fabiobp likes this.
  2. asimov

asimov

Hey slice3d, thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I'd like to use whichever is easiest to implement and is the most versatile in the long-term.

I have it working to an extent when the Highlighting Renderer script is placed on the WeaponCamera, but this doesn't work so well for a few reasons;
    1. When 'see outline through objects' is turned off, the outline will instead be drawn around the front of the covering object - see attached image.
    2. The Fov of the camera must be kept the same as the FPSCamera, otherwise the outlines appear the wrong size. The Fov has been set to 60 (same as the FPSCamera) in the image. This is the main reason that it's probably better to render the outline with FPSCamera (or at least a separate camera).

Edit: @slice3d Regarding number 1. above - I made a mistake as this is how the 'see through objects' being turned off works (by drawing an outline around the face of the overlapping object/occluder). However, a workaround to avoid this and just leave the occluder un-highlighted would be great.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

I like this package a lot! I do find it works in some scenarios, and not in others. I am still learning Unity, so bear with me! :D

For example, I have a bunch of sprites that I wanted to highlight - but I can't seem to get this to work - any ideas?

Code (csharp):
    2. GameObject[] spriteObjects = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag ("testSprite");
    4. Highlighter hl = new Highlighter();
    6. foreach (GameObject go in spriteObjects) {
    7.   hl = go.GetComponent<Highlighter>();
    8.   if(hl == null)
    9.       hl = go.AddComponent<Highlighter>();
    10.   hl.ConstantOn(Color.green);
    11. }
    Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

4. OswaldP

OswaldP

Hi.

It seems that since the v4.0 it is not possible to render the highlight on multiple cameras at the same time.

(here an example with two cameras, the left one got a higher depth value but both have a highlighting renderer component attached)

Is there a way to make it work properly ?
    It would be really useful, especially for the use of a legacy OVR package.

5. slice3d

slice3d

Highlighting System v4.2 has gone for a review to the Asset Store and will be available for download in the next few days.
    Changelog for this version:
    • Support for multiple cameras and different camera clear flags
    • Support for LODGroup component
    • Improved compatibility across all platforms
    • Proper culling of invisible highlighting renderers
    • Implemented optional HighlightingBlitter for blitting highlighting results to the screen using different camera
    • Improved and refactored highlighting system core
    • Implemented ability to dynamically change constant on/off transition times (no more common constantOnSpeed/constantOffSpeed static properties - use ConstantOn(float time) and ConstantOn(Color color, float time) instead)
    • Disabling GameObjects with Highlighter components or Highlighter components directly in Unity Editor properly affects highlighting (toggling them from scripts at runtime works well as before)
    • Fixed null reference exceptions after re-enabling HighlightingRenderer component
    • Implemented HighlighterBlocker to prevent highlighting of specific objects in hierarchy
    • Optimized memory allocation in HighlighterInternal.GrabRenderers method
    • Exposed seeThrough property. SeeThrough(bool state), SeeThroughOn(), SeeThroughOff(), SeeThroughSwitch() methods deprecated and will be removed in the next version
    • Exposed occluder property. OccluderOn(), OccluderOff(), OccluderSwitch() methods deprecated and will be removed in the next version
    • Compatibility with iOS Metal graphics API
    • Fixed iOS build crash when stripping engine code is enabled in Unity 5.2.0+
    • Windows Store Apps: Fixed compilation error caused by inability to access C# classes from Boo and JS scripts on WSA platforms (without checking .NET Core Partially in Compilation Overrides in PlayerSettings)
    • Reworked all demo scripts and scenes
    • Highlighter item revealer example added
    • Added new demo scenes: LODGroup, Revealer, RenderTexture, ViewportRect, CustomBlitter, ClearFlags, FPSCamera1, FPSCamera2, Toggle, VR
    • Changing properties of HighlighterInteractive, HighlighterConstant, HighlighterFlashing and other highlighter components in Inspector affects highlighting in realtime
    • Other fixes and improvements

6. slice3d

slice3d

@dogfacedesign
    Highlighting System cannot be used to highlight Unity UI (uGUI) CanvasRenderers, but it can be used to highlight SpriteRenderers.

@moh05
    Hello! Please see above.
    It is compatible with mobiles, but the performance drop may be significant on some devices.

@asimov @OswaldP
    I've implemented multiple cameras support in the 4.2 update and added several example scenes.
    Please wait until this update will appear in the Unity Asset Store.

7. asimov

asimov

Thanks for the update - can't wait to give the new version a try! :)

8. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

If I buy v4.1 in the asset store today, will I need to pay an upgrade price once v4.2 is out?

9. slice3d

slice3d

10. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Just installed v4.2 and get this in the console:

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(60,132): error CS0103: The name `cullOff' does not exist in the current context
    4. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(60,99): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Material.SetFloat(int, float)' has some invalid arguments
    6. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(60,99): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `object' expression to type `float'
    8. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(69,150): error CS0103: The name `transparentCutoff' does not exist in the current context
    10. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(69,72): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Material.SetFloat(int, float)' has some invalid arguments
    12. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/RendererCache.cs(69,72): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `object' expression to type `float'
    13. [code]

11. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Disregard last message. I needed to delete the Plugins/Highlightsystem folder then reinstall

12. MS80

MS80

Hi @slice3d, thanks for 4.2 update! I have just updated my current project and I have a issue which does not exist before with version 4.1. Many of my (grouped) parent objects with hierarchy prevent highlight system to work, I get the following (repeating) error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    HighlightingSystem.HighlighterRenderer.Initialize (UnityEngine.Material sharedOpaqueMaterial, UnityEngine.Shader transparentShader) (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlighterRenderer.cs:87)
    HighlightingSystem.Highlighter.UpdateRenderers () (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlighterInternal.cs:274)
    HighlightingSystem.Highlighter.FillBufferInternal (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer buffer, Mode m, Boolean depthAvailable) (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlighterInternal.cs:402)
    HighlightingSystem.Highlighter.FillBuffer (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer buffer, Boolean depthAvailable) (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlighterInternal.cs:463)
    HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase.RebuildCommandBuffer () (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:546)
    HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase.OnPreRender () (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:355)

=> Win7 64bit, GTX 670 / 980, Unity 5.3.2f, Highlightsystem 4.2

Highlightsystem does not work until I remove the highlight component from ALL the affected gameobjects (concerns all types: constant, flashing, spectrum, etc). Many of the objects which worked fine with highlightsystem 4.1 don't work any more?!

Do you have any idea what's wrong with those gameobjects? Is there a way to fix this? I really want to go with the new 4.2 version as it brings many features and improvements!

EDIT: it seems the issue is caused by deactivated gameobjects. I have multiple deactivated objects under my parent game object with highlighter component, which may or may not activated later (like weapons change etc.)! If all objects are activated right from the beginning it all works. Also it seems highlighting system has a issue with objects deactivated / activated at runtime (first deactivate / activate works, further not). ReinitMaterials does not work for this situation, too?! For the moment I use layers to hide / unhide parts of my object (or enable / disable mesh render), this works for highlighting, too!

Could you please have a look at this, would it possible to add this feature (activate / deactivate gameobjects) to 4.2?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  13. PeterB

PeterB

Upgrading to the newest version of the Highlighting System does not work under Unity 5.3.2p3. It disables itself at runtime due to "unsupported features for this platform". The platform in this case is the Mac standalone platform.

Deleting the package before the reimport doesn't help.

Please advise. Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 11.05.38.png

14. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Running on a Mac here and I don't get that issue. Guessing a hardware-related issue? What are the specs on your Mac's video adaptor? "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB" here.

15. PeterB

PeterB

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

16. fabiobp

fabiobp

Hi, can I use it with UI Images for 2D games?

Thanks,

17. slice3d

slice3d

@MS80
    Hi! Thanks for reporting about this issue!
    Hotfix is available here.

@dogfacedesign
    Yes, RendererCache.cs is no longer exists in v4.2 so please remove HighlightingSystemDemo and Plugins/HighlightingSystem folders before installing the new version.

@PeterB
    Also, it seems like even BloomOptimized image effect from the Unity Standard Assets package is affected with this issue, so hopefully they will fix this in the next stable release.
    If not - I will find a workaround. For now I recommend you not to use patch releases of Unity 5.3.1.

@fabiobp
    Hi! You can use it to highlight SpriteRenderers but not CanvasRenderers (Unity UI).

18. fabiobp

fabiobp

Thanks @slice3d, is there by any chance an intention to use on CanvasRenderers? I'd love to use it in my game, but i'm using UI.

Thanks,

19. nickpettit

nickpettit

Hey @slice3d,

Love this asset - my project wouldn't be possible without it. :)

I'm having an issue when I switch away and switch back to my application while it's running (both in editor and in builds). On startup everything looks good and highlighting (not pictured) works correctly, but if I switch away from the app and then come back, the HighlightingRenderer image effect adds a slightly transparent white overlay to the image, and the highlighting (again, not pictured in these screenshots) doesn't work. Here are some screenshots and additional information that might help.

Normal image:

After switching away and then back to app:

System and project information:
    • Windows 10
    • Unity 5.3.2 (latest)
    • Highlighting System 4.2 (latest)
    • Project uses deferred rendering, linear lighting, hardware AA is off
    • Dynamic batching is off

A few things I already tried:
    • Deleted all highlighting from project, redownloaded, and reimported
    • When I return to the application, I can disable the HighlightingRenderer script and re-enable in the editor, and it works fine. However, if I switch away and switch back again, the problem returns.
    • Created a new camera with all default settings and then only added the HighlightingRenderer, but problem still persists.
    • I read the documentation and this forum to try and find an answer, although maybe I missed it :)
    If there's anything you can do to help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it!

20. MS80

MS80

Thanks @slice3d, that fixed it!

21. fabiobp

fabiobp

Hi @moh05, I'm developing a card game too and I did the same question. you can use it on spriteRanderer but not CanvasRenderer. I couldn't find a descent way to highlight UI. If you find please share with me. Also make a pledge for slice3d make it render on UI! :)

22. fabiobp

fabiobp

@slice3d, What do you think about making an simple asset (an new asset different from Highlighting System) that have 1 highlight effect (let's say with that cool 18VR) for UI images on click. And works on mobile. Simple as that.
    There's nothing like and good as it on asset store. I'll see a lot. I and some other people that posted here would buy it for sure.
    Tell me if you have plans for that or I should look for other solutions.
    Thanks,

23. Onsterion

Onsterion

Hi slice3d,

I have a problem with the asset, when i download from the asset store download the 4.1 when you are updated the asset to 4.2.1.

And I have this errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error importing folder (The pathName assets/plugins is already mapped to 6ee84e478a26b43ed897ed7b69c9b6ff. But the meta data wants it to be mapped to 4e0a69732a679474d9fceb90bccd7a6c)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ClothRenderer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,25): error CS1950: The best overloaded collection initalizer method `System.Collections.Generic.List<System.Type>.Add(System.Type)' has some invalid arguments
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,25): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `System.Type'

Greetings.-

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  24. fabiobp

fabiobp

@slice3d, I'm not getting a nice edge highlighting in my sprite. The highlighting is not starting in the bottom of my sprite.
    I started a new project, add highlighingRenderer to Camera and Highlighter and HighlighterSpectrum to my sprite and pressed play.
    teste.png

Thanks,

25. jnoffke

jnoffke

@slice3d,

I'm having issues getting Highlighter System to work at all in latest beta version 5.4.0b6. None of demo scenes show highlighting outline at all. I've started new project in 5.4.0b6 and imported Highlighting System version 4.2.1. I don't see any compiler errors or warnings or anything. I'm guessing this is either a Unity beta bug or Unity changed the way they do something that you need to know about. I'm using Windows 7 and DX11 if that information is relevant. Thanks

26. echo4papa

echo4papa

I found a simple workaround for the blur shader problem in 5.3.2p2, I manually unrolled the for loop in the fragment shader and it works.

27. echo4papa

echo4papa

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 //int start = 0;
    2.                 //int end = 4;
    4.                 //half4 color1 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[start]);
    5.                 //fixed4 color2;
    6.                 //for (int n = start + 1; n < end; n++)
    7.                 //{
    8.                 //    color2 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[n]);
    9.                 //    color1.rgb = max(color1.rgb, color2.rgb);
    10.                 //    color1.a += color2.a;
    11.                 //}
    13.                 half4 color1 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[0]);
    14.                 fixed4 color2;
    16.                 color2 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[1]);
    17.                 color1.rgb = max(color1.rgb, color2.rgb);
    18.                 color1.a += color2.a;
    20.                 color2 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[2]);
    21.                 color1.rgb = max(color1.rgb, color2.rgb);
    22.                 color1.a += color2.a;
    24.                 color2 = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv[3]);
    25.                 color1.rgb = max(color1.rgb, color2.rgb);
    26.                 color1.a += color2.a;
    29.                 color1.a *= _Intensity;
    30.                 return color1;

28. MingzhaoXu

MingzhaoXu

Hi @slice3d ,

Thanks for your plugin, but I found some problem in it.
    Sometimes it shows strange color on the edge of the screen, like the top of the following picture. (it is the demo scene, I do not change anything).
    Could you help me to fix this?

PS: My Unity version is 5.3.1f1 and my computer is MacBook Pro with retina screen.

Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 1.28.46 PM.png

29. Qbert34

Qbert34

Hi.. just purchased the update.. love this tool.
    any chance there is a way to use SeeThroughOff to only have the glow not see through a particular object.
    I want objects to glow, and be seen through everything but my player.
    thanks, Q

30. PeterB

PeterB

@slice3d

Quoting you:

"Also, it seems like even BloomOptimized image effect from the Unity Standard Assets package is affected with this issue, so hopefully they will fix this in the next stable release.
    If not - I will find a workaround. For now I recommend you not to use patch releases of Unity 5.3.1."

The latest stable release, 5.3.3, indeed has the same problem.

31. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

This happens to me too after upgrading to the newest version (on u5.3.3). Sometimes it happens when I first start. If I switch away and back it happens, and I can fix it by simply disabling/re-enabling the HighlightingRenderer component in the editor.

32. slice3d

slice3d

@fabiobp @moh05
    I had some progress on this recently:
    UIHighlighter.png

And to prove you that this is not a Photoshop :D
    UIHighlighterScene.png

Though I can't say how much time it will take until first release in the Unity Asset Store (I still have some unresolved issues) and yes, this is going to be a separate package since it uses different principle, has it's own limitations and requirements (compared to the Highlighting System), so it will be easier to maintain and develop this as a separate package.

@nickpettit @DirtyHippy
    Thanks for reporting this issue! Now I should be able to reproduce this on my end in order to fix.
    Can you help me with this? Repro steps and/or an example project would help a lot.

@Onsterion
    You should use Unity 5.3.1f1 or higher in order to be able to download this version from the Unity Asset Store.
    If this won't help - try to perform these steps:
    1. Make sure Unity is not running
    2. Remove folder(s) with name "Deep Dream Games" from C:\Users\_YourUserName_\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\
    3. Open Unity and try to download the package again

@fabiobp
    Could you please send me this project? I've never seen this issue with sprites before.

@jnoffke
    Thanks for reporting this issue! I'll take a look what's changed in Unity 5.4.

@echo4papa @PeterB @bsawyer
    Thanks for posting this, echo4papa! Yes, this is correct workaround BUT I've recently received an email from Unity QA stating that they've been able to reproduce this bug and have sent it for resolution with their developers.
    The bad thing is that this issue slipped to the stable Unity 5.3.3f1 release, but I prefer not to fix what's not broken (not to add hacks / workarounds) and since they've confirmed now that this is an issue on their end - it would be better to just wait for the fix (hopefully it will appear in the one of the patch releases of Unity 5.3.3 - I will keep my eye on it)

@MingzhaoXu
    Hi! Please try to disable hardware anti-aliasing in your project (enabled by default, to disable - set Anti Aliasing property to Disabled for all quality levels) and let me know if this helps. This probably happens because your MacBook Pro is running out of VRAM due to high screen resolution (anti-aliasing works as a multiplier for your base screen resolution).

@Qbert34
    If I understand you correctly - this is already possible. See the left character in the OccluderModes demo scene.

33. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Keep in mind I don't use AdvancedInspector and still see the issue.

34. slice3d

slice3d

@nickpettit Thanks for all your effort in making this example project and describing all the details, but could you please remove it from your dropbox (at least move it to non-public folder) and remove the link from your post as soon as possible because it provides free download for two paid assets? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  35. nickpettit

nickpettit

@slice3d I understand. The post was already removed. What's the best way to provide you with an example project without including these assets?

36. slice3d

slice3d

@nickpettit Thanks and don't worry - I've downloaded the package before it was removed. But next time, you can always find official support email for almost any package in the asset store here. upload_2016-3-1_8-56-26.png

37. nickpettit

nickpettit

@slice3d Makes sense, thanks! Let me know if I can do anything else that might help resolve this issue.

38. gaweph

gaweph

Hello,

I think I will be purchasing this assert later today.

I have a query regarding occlusion support.

Currently it looks like you can set SeeThrough which appears to allow the outline of the object to be seen even when it is behind another object, turning this off then stops the highlight from showing when the object/or part of object is hidden.

Is there a way of reversing this behaviour? So that the highlight ONLY shows for parts of the object that are not visible?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

39. fbbgo

fbbgo

hi,
    what is the problem? is not working on iOS? most of example throw error:
    HighlightingSystem : Highlighting System has been disabled due to unsupported Unity features on the current platform!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase:OnEnable() (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:231)

unity version 5.3.3f1

thanks.

40. TinyMobGraham

TinyMobGraham

@Slice3d any update on this issue? I am now using Unity 5.3.2p3 on Mac and the plugin does not work for any of the Shaders. Running your demo in WebGL works fine, but I can't develop anything with the plugin.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  41. MoonifyPascal

MoonifyPascal

Hello, same for me.
    HighlightingSystem : Highlighting System has been disabled due to unsupported Unity features on the current platform!

I'm using 5.3.3 stable version.

42. daisySa

daisySa

Any news on this bug? I'm getting the same issue on OS X since moving to 5.3.3f1. I'll revert to 5.3.2f1 in the meantime.

43. TinyMobGraham

TinyMobGraham

44. MS80

MS80

@slice3d Hi Slice!
    Is it possible to set one of the predefined presets via script? I created 4 named presets, now I would like to choose one of them in runtime via script! I know you did something like this in your demoscenes, but it seems you create new presets via script, too. I would like to use the presets existing in highlighting renderer component, can these be selected by presetname?

45. livio3d

livio3d

Hi, i test the system with the unity 5.4, dont give me errors but the system dont render the oultine ( all work fine on 5.3.4)
    any chance to have a some tips fora fast fix?

46. slice3d

slice3d

@gaweph
    Hello,
    This is in my todo list, and there is already the way to make it work for simple convex shapes such as cube or sphere, but I'm not sure if that's possible to implement it for complex meshes (complex mesh overlaps it's own parts in depth buffer)
    at least without significantly degrading performance (forget about the mobiles).

@fbbgo @TinyMobGraham @MediaPod34 @daisyDynamics
    Hello,
    This issue has been fixed as of Unity 5.3.3p3 (and now it's in stable Unity 5.3.4 release) so please upgrade.

@MS80
    Hi!
    Currently at runtime you can only manipulate highlighting renderer properties separately.
    But that's an interesting idea, thanks! I've added this to my todo list.

@livio3d
    Hi!
    Hotfix for Unity 5.4.0b10 is available here.

47. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello there,

I have a First Person Controller. I'm "scripting" using PlayMaker. I have successfully made it in PlayMaker so when I look at an object "I do some stuff". One thing that I want to do when I'm looking at this object is to highlight the object. When I don't look at this object I want to disable the highlight.

I have added the Highlighter (Script) to the object. I also added the Highlighter Constant (Script). One thing that I have done is start my game with the "Highlighter Constant" script disabled... and when I look at the object I enable it and when I look away from the object I disable it.

Well PlayMaker is doing it's job fine... it disables the Highlighter Constant script, however my object still remains highlighted. Any idea how to fix this?

48. slice3d

slice3d

@GamerPET
    Hello,
    Don't use HighlighterConstant script - add only Highlighter component and call ConstantOn() and ConstantOff() methods when you want to enable/disable highlighting on a specific object.

49. GamerPET

GamerPET

Thanks. I have however to see how to call those using playmaker...

50. chanhpomme

chanhpomme

@slice3d @nickpettit @DirtyHippy
    Hi,
    I'm currently having the same bug than you guys (the grey tint thing). It seems that the grey thing is happening every time there is a disk writing in the Assets.

Steps to reproduce the bug:
    - Create a new Unity Project (I use Unity 5.3.4p1)
    - Import Highlighting System
    - Open a demo scene
    - Hit play
    - Create a folder OR create a script OR delete a file OR anything that make a disk writing
    - Grey stuff

I hope it will help to fix it.