Search Unity

Highlighting System [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slice3d, Jul 10, 2012.

1. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hi there, any news on the WebGL support for the Highlighting System?
    I'd love to use it in a project but our timeline is a bit strict so I can't rely on it if I'm not sure that it works.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. nguyennk91

nguyennk91

Is this thread still got support ? just wondering

3. Novack

Novack

I was going to import this asset today, and found a really awful surprise. Apparently, to get the up-to-date version, I have to repay you $15 (50% of the asset value).

Came here looking for answers, and found this:
    What!!? o_O

You're actually making your previous customers pay more, instead of new customers?
    ...Again: What!?

You're somehow making it sound like people who bought it first, owe you more, when is exactly the opposite: the original customers, the ones that bought the asset and helped keeping it alive to this date, are those who deserve more respect!

I would understand the need for a repay, if your asset would now cost $15 more than before (and even then, I think there would be a case for respecting the original customers, as others do), but... this?

What a poor move man.

4. slice3d

slice3d

@steffanPL
    Hi,
    Please make sure you've seen these notes:
    VRNotes.png
    If this is a screenshot of Unity profiler attached to the build running on Gear VR powered device - then unfortunately there is no way to further optimize it.
    As for me - Samsung has made really weird decision to use mobile device to perform expensive VR rendering.
    You need 2x faster GPU than the average desktop PC has to render your scene twice for each VR camera at the same quality and framerate - not 2x slower mobile device.

@PhrozenEye
    Hello Luis,
    If you use Unity 4.x - you should have Android Pro and iOS Pro licenses in order to use Highlighting System in your projects.
    Or you can upgrade to Unity 5.x where Unity Pro features available free of charge for all platforms (including iOS and Android).

@slcrubes
    Hi!
    Yes, Highlighting System is compatible with Unity 5.2.
    You are using Mac device with high-resolution display (with more than 2048 pixels by width)? If so - please disable hardware anti-aliasing for all quality levels.
    Unity hangs on attempt to create such big RenderTexture (required for the Highlighting System) with enabled hardware antialiasing.
    I'm working on a proper solution for this issue.

@nguyennk91
    Please check out the Occluder Modes demo scene.
    Basically you just need to add a Highlighter Occluder with enabled See Through mode to your character:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Highlighter h = GetComponent<Highlighter>();
    2. if (h == null) { h = gameObject.AddComponent<Highlighter>(); }
    3. h.OccluderOn();
    4. h.SeeThroughOn();
    @essimoon2, @Onsterion
    Hi,
    I was able to resolve my previous WebGL compilation issues by pointing Python and PYTHONHOME environment variables to the python folder in my Unity installation.
    (D:\Unity\5.2.0f3\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\webglsupport\BuildTools\Emscripten_Win\python\2.7.5.3_64bit)
    So I was able to successfully build it for WebGL, but it's still not working due to some weird error.
    I assume this will be fixed once WebGL will be officially released. Right now it seems like not all Unity features are supported in WebGL.

@Novack
    Sorry to hear that you disagree with my pricing policy, but this is a common practice in software development.
    It is fair for me to pay another 50% of the Unity Pro license price almost each year as well as for any other software I use on a regular basis.

5. antonov_3d

antonov_3d

Hello sorry if it was answered before but i need to know about multiple cameras issues other are having.
    My project has multitude of cameras, main world render scene has 3 layered cameras rig, other views also have layered cameras that are loaded on demand, what i would need to do to make your product work?

6. steffanPL

steffanPL

Yes, it was a profiler screen shot from device.
    Thanks for clearyfing. Is there any chance you will rewrite your plugin for GearVr version ?

7. M-Hanssen

M-Hanssen

There is a bug when anti aliasing is enabled in your project. When disabling and enabling the HighlightingRenderer component there will be a null reference error on line 543 of the HighlightingBase.cs that is to blame by an incorrect UpdateHighlightingBuffer() execution.
    The solution to this problem is adding "cachedAA = -1;" in the OnEnable method before calling the UpdateHighlightingBuffer() method.
    Hope this helps some people with this problem and it would also be very nice to have this fix in future releases.

8. JackDog

JackDog

Hi, I have a small problem:
    "Dimensions of color surface does not match dimensions of depth surface" and
    "rcolorZero->backBuffer == rdepth->backBuffer"
    spams my console if camera is set to Clear flags: Depth Only and has Highlighting Renderer Component.
    It renders correctly but any idea how to remove that console error spam?

9. Esimple

Esimple

Hi!
    I have exactly the same problem of JackDog but in my case it' doesn't work at all! No highlight
    Some help? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  10. M-Hanssen

M-Hanssen

I have strange problem that I cannot understand. In forward lighting mode every object highlights perfectly, but when using deferred lightning most complex models have a strange and obvious highlight glitch! See the example images attached below. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?
    highlightForward.png (Forward)
    highlightDeferred.png (Deferred)

11. chanhpomme

chanhpomme

Hi,
    We have the exact same problem as @slcrubes, so we disabled the AA. Since then, we have the same problem as @JackDog and @checco77.
    Is there a fix on the way ?

12. iamsam

iamsam

Hi,

Can you use this with uGUI? I have been trying to use it but have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks

13. supreem_creator

supreem_creator

We love this highlighting system but we are experiencing one issue. Intermittently, the glow will flip upside down. As soon as I pause the editor, it flips back to normal so it is very tough to investigate. I'm thinking it might be one of our screen image effects doing it.

Anyone else experience this or know the solution?

14. slice3d

slice3d

Hello everyone,

@antonov_3d @JackDog @checco77 @chanhpomme
    Multiple camera issues will be resolved with the next patch (as well as issues with the different camera clear flags). Sorry for the inconvenience!

@steffanPL
    I suppose the performance issues with Gear VR is in the weak hardware so they cannot be resolved on the software side. I will check this later, but there is a low chance that I can do something to improve the performance. Feel free to ask for a refund if it doesn't fit your requirements.

@M. Hanssen
    Please try to apply this fix.
    As for your second issue - it looks like Dynamic Batching is enabled in your project. Please read the provided documentation for an explanation and the list of options you have to resolve this.

@iamsam
    Unfortunately you can't, since in uGUI CanvasRenderer is not derived from a generic Renderer component as all other renderers in Unity and it has really poor API exposed (it has no methods to trigger rendering manually from the code). Though you can use SpriteRenderer instead.

@supreem_creator
    Yeah, other image effects (as well as their combination) can cause this issue. You can use Frame Debugger to investigate which Image Effect does this. I can help you if you will send me your example project and/or steps to reproduce this issue.

15. slcrubes

slcrubes

Thanks for responding earlier, turning off AA did the trick on my laptop.

16. iamsam

iamsam

@slice3d Thanks for the reply, I figured that it may not work with uGUI. Works amazing well on mesh renderers though, great job.

17. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Hi,

We got huge performances problem on mobile (android), on a LG G3. Performances are divided by 3 when the highlighting system is on (even on our login screen which is basically 2 uGUI buttons and one picture).

In the current state we sadly cannot use the asset. Is there any information we can send you for you to debug this ?

Thanks

18. antonov_3d

antonov_3d

I started to get
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase.RebuildCommandBuffer () (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:543)
    3. HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase.OnPreRender () (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:276)
    and i cant figure out why

I found the bug, it seems that if the camera with highlighter is Eneabled at the start of the game, then disabled (in my setup happens on the same frame), then when i enable it back, that thing above happens.

Yeeeeah i can confirm that disabling/enabling the camera with HighlightRenderer will cause this and highlight will stop working properly. Waiting for a fix.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  19. Guirao

Guirao

Same problem is happenning with 4.1. The problem is when enabling the script or the object containing it.

So start a scene, enable the script, disable and enable it again.

20. MisfitMafia

MisfitMafia

Does it work with any shader? We heavily use Unity's Standard Shader or other custom shaders, and need the effect to work in conjunction with those. I've seen other highlight systems that were completely custom, so didn't work well.

Does it work in VR?

Does it work with deferred rendering?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  21. slice3d

slice3d

@RDeluxe
    Sorry to hear that, but significant amount of Android devices these days have huge screen resolutions but weak hardware to power 3d graphics on them at a good framerate. I can't do anything with that.
    I haven't noticed any performance degradation on iOS devices starting from relatively old iPod 5th gen (released October 2012).
    I think I'm going to make several tests to provide more accurate performance data to the customers.
    Could you please send me a link to the specifications of your device since there is a lot of sub-types of this LG G3 model? I guess you're using the one with Quad HD (2560x1440) resolution?

@antonov_3d @Guirao
    The fix is already available here. It will be included into the next update.
    Sorry for the inconvenience!

@MisfitMafia
    Yes, it works well with any shader with the exception of shaders which are modifying their vertex positions (original unmodified mesh data will be used), but such shaders is only rarely used and this is a common issue for any post-processing effect.
    Yes, it works in VR. I haven't tested it on a real device by myself yet, but I have several positive reports from customers and enabling VR in editor gives this result:
    Split.png

Yes, it works with deferred rendering.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  22. slcrubes

slcrubes

Just want to say thanks for continuing to work on this asset. It's a nice feature for my game. Hopefully you can get the AA issue fixed on Macs.

23. coltonh

coltonh

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to specify weather or not children are highlighted as compound objects when a parent's highlighter is turned on?

as far as I can tell, when my object with a highlighter component is turned on, all of its children with meshes are also highlighted, even if those child objects do not have highlighters. (which is not desired)

I unfortunately do not have access to the documentation for the highlighting system in my collaborative project and was not able to find another post about specifying the highlighter only to work on the parent.

Thanks for the help!

24. MisfitMafia

MisfitMafia

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm having an issue with the Vive platform. The effect works (the object is masked right, etc) except that it is rendering flipped vertically. I was looking through the code to fix this myself but throwing the question out there. How/where in the code would I vertically flip the resulting render texture? I tried flipping the UVs on the quad, but that ended up not masking things correctly.

25. MisfitMafia

MisfitMafia

Replying to my own post... I hacked a fix with a multi_compile switch in your Composite shader (just invert UV1's y coord), and put a check-box on the highlight renderer, since I need it conditional per platform.

26. henkjan

henkjan

Hi, I'm running in Unity 5.2.2p3 / Android and get the following warning:
    Tiled GPU perf. warning: RenderTexture color surface (267x130) was not cleared/discarded, doing Drawing/CommandBuffer.BeforeImageEffectsOpaque/HighlightingSystem

Am I doing something wrong or is this a 'bug'?

27. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

I do, but I downgraded the resolution to FullHD to avoid heat and power usage (that's a system wide modification, via adb).

28. slice3d

slice3d

@slcrubes
    Thanks for your kind words. Appreciate that!
    As for the AA issue - unfortunately it seems like only Unity Technologies can fix that. I'll post a link soon to the bug report so you'll be able to vote for the fix.

@coltonh
    Please see my reply to silentslack here

@MisfitMafia
    Does Vive even supported by the Unity VR? Or you're using Steam VR?
    Anyways, you've done it right by conditionally inverting uv1 in the composite shader. Nice work!

@henkjan
    Don't worry - this is due to expected RenderTexture restore operation (which happens during highlighting buffer blurring). There is just no way in Unity to mark this operation as expected for CommandBuffer. So simply ignore this warning.

@RDeluxe
    And you're still having performance issues on this device even after downgrading the resolution?

29. marrr048

marrr048

Hello! This is a great product - looks awesome and performs really well. Definitely a good purchase, so thank you.

I've unfortunately run into a weird problem that I can't seem to find a way around. I have a camera with a custom projection matrix, and it has a HighlightingRenderer attached. The problem I'm seeing is that the highlight shows up in the wrong position on the screen when I have my player set to use Forward Rendering path. If I switch to Deferred, it snaps to the right position. If I remove the custom projection matrix, it also shows up correctly. So the problem comes only when I'm using both.

Is there any way I can make this look right while using a custom projection matrix and forward rendering?

Thanks!

30. slice3d

slice3d

@marrr048
    Hello! Please remove "#if UNITY_UV_STARTS_AT_TOP" and corresponding "#endif" line from the HighlightingComposite.shader

31. Jet-Woods-Lim

Jet-Woods-Lim

It does not work with google cardboard sdk. help please.
    Thanks.

32. arnesso

arnesso

Hi !
    I'm working on item finder near the player, like in Dragon Age, but my problem is the enabling does not show only that item which is in the given distance.
    What I would create : I add the to item highlightcontroller and to my camer Highlighlingrenderer ,
    And I would that if I press the key then show only that item which is in 10 range

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Here is the script what I have right now :

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using HighlightingSystem;

public class eagleeye : MonoBehaviour {

// Use this for initialization

public GameObject az ;

public float maxRange ;

void Update () {

if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.B)) {

if ((Vector3.Distance (az.transform.position, GameObject.FindWithTag ("Item").transform.position) < maxRange)) {

az.GetComponent<HighlightingRenderer> ().enabled = true;

}
    }

if (Input.GetKeyUp(KeyCode.B)) {

az.GetComponent<HighlightingRenderer> ().enabled = false;

}

}

}

33. Velcrohead

Velcrohead

Hi Slice3D, we are looking at buying your asset, however we have a couple of questions to ensure it will work in our project.

1) Is this working correctly in Unity 5.2.3? We are currently using shaders to handle our highlighting by extruding the faces of the mesh - this is not working correctly for us, so we are looking to upgrade.

2) Is this supported by WebGL?

3) Does it work correctly with VR? On top of this, are there any noticeable performance hits?

4) Is this supported on Android / iOS?

Thanks in advance, looks like a great asset and we're really hoping we can use it!

34. Epilol

Epilol

Hello I bought your asset and it works very well.
    I was only wondering if there is any chance for it to work with GUI elements

thanks a lot!

35. alex_h

alex_h

Hi Slice3D. The studio I'm working with bought your asset yesterday, and I noticed that it relies heavily on the use of a camera. Is there any way to apply the highlighting effects to UI pieces in Screen Space Overlay?

Thanks!

36. ZJeremy

ZJeremy

Hi Slice3D
    I have a problem with using HighLight system 4.0 and Unity 5.2.2 for my project on my galaxy s4, my models with highlighter works fine on my mac editor, but when I built to android device, the highlights just blurred out and covered the entire model instead of just the outline of it, I have checked and tryouted those settings discussed and as well the fixed code, but the problem remained. I tried also building the demo scene, it was working fine with the mobile scene, but when switch to other scenes, there were some problems as shown in the attached screenshots, with the mobile scene, when press one of the solid options, the problem came. I tested also in another android device(HUAWEI PLK-AL10 with android 5.0, Mali-T628 MP4) and it was working perfectly.
    Any insights what the problem might be?
    Thank you
    Screenshot_2015-12-16-00-59-17.png Screenshot_2015-12-16-00-59-24.png Screenshot_2015-12-16-00-59-36.png Screenshot_2015-12-16-00-59-42.png

37. fisj

fisj

Thanks for the awesome addon slice3d.

One issue I noticed was that a highlighted object will lose it's highlight (permanently) if I tab out of the game/editor to another application, and back into it. Highlights that modulate their color per frame are unaffected, but in my case this is undesirable. Anyone else seen this problem?

I've checked for other component script conflicts, but this issue is also in the demo levels too. Any help would be appreciated.

38. slice3d

slice3d

@Jet Woods Lim
    Thanks for reporting about this! Added to my todo list.

@arnesso
    Hi!
    Here you go. Put Revealer component on your player GameObject and HighlightableItem on your items.
    Revealer:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. [DisallowMultipleComponent]
    6. public class Revealer : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public float radius = 2f;
    9.     public LayerMask layerMask = -1;
    11.     private HashSet<HighlightableItem> items = new HashSet<HighlightableItem>();
    12.     private Transform tr;
    14.     //
    15.     void Awake()
    16.     {
    17.         tr = GetComponent<Transform>();
    18.     }
    20.     // After all movement finishes
    21.     void LateUpdate()
    22.     {
    23.         Clear();
    25.         // Collect HighlightableItem components in radius and reveal them
    26.         Collider[] colliders = Physics.OverlapSphere(tr.position, radius, layerMask);
    27.         for (int i = 0, l = colliders.Length; i < l; i++)
    28.         {
    29.             HighlightableItem hi = colliders[i].GetComponentInParent<HighlightableItem>();
    30.             if (hi != null && !items.Contains(hi))
    31.             {
    32.                 hi.Reveal();
    33.                 items.Add(hi);
    34.             }
    35.         }
    36.     }
    38.     //
    39.     void OnDisable()
    40.     {
    41.         Clear();
    42.     }
    44.     //
    45.     void OnValidate()
    46.     {
    47.         if (radius < 0.0001f) { radius = 0.0001f; }
    48.     }
    50.     //
    51.     void OnDrawGizmos()
    52.     {
    53.         if (enabled)
    54.         {
    55.             Gizmos.color = Color.yellow;
    56.             Gizmos.DrawWireSphere(transform.position, radius);
    57.         }
    58.     }
    60.     //
    61.     void Clear()
    62.     {
    63.         var e = items.GetEnumerator();
    64.         while (e.MoveNext())
    65.         {
    66.             HighlightableItem hi = e.Current;
    67.             hi.Hide();
    68.         }
    69.         items.Clear();
    70.     }
    71. }
    HighlightableItem:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using HighlightingSystem;
    5. [DisallowMultipleComponent]
    6. public class HighlightableItem : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public bool seeThrough = true;
    9.     public Color revealColor = new Color(0f, 1f, 1f, 1f);
    11.     private Highlighter h;
    12.     private int revealCount = 0;
    14.     //
    15.     void Awake()
    16.     {
    17.         h = GetComponent<Highlighter>();
    18.         if (h == null) { h = gameObject.AddComponent<Highlighter>(); }
    19.     }
    21.     //
    22.     void OnEnable()
    23.     {
    24.         h.SeeThrough(seeThrough);
    25.     }
    27.     //
    28.     void OnValidate()
    29.     {
    30.         if (h != null)
    31.         {
    32.             h.SeeThrough(seeThrough);
    33.         }
    34.     }
    36.     //
    37.     public void Reveal()
    38.     {
    39.         revealCount++;
    40.         UpdateInternal();
    41.     }
    43.     //
    44.     public void Hide()
    45.     {
    46.         revealCount = Mathf.Max(0, revealCount-1);
    47.         UpdateInternal();
    48.     }
    50.     //
    51.     private void UpdateInternal()
    52.     {
    53.         if (revealCount > 0)
    54.         {
    55.             h.ConstantOn(revealColor);
    56.         }
    57.         else
    58.         {
    59.             h.ConstantOff();
    60.         }
    61.     }
    62. }
    @Velcrohead
    Hi,
    1. Yes, it works in Unity 5.2.3.
    2. I haven't checked it for a while (probably not working) and not officially supported now, but it will be once WebGL will out of it's preview stage.
    3. Yes, it works well with VR. And yes, everything comes at a cost, but on desktop platforms you shouldn't experience any noticeable performance hit.
    4. Yes but it seems like on some recently released mobile devices performance isn't that great. Display size grows significantly, CPU/GPU performance stays pretty much the same. I'm going to remove that "Optimized for mobile devices" text (which has appeared here after I've optimized Highlighting System for mobile devices so the FPS raised from 9 to 25 on a relatively old iPhone 4) with the next update to avoid confusion.
    So from your questions it sounds like you want to use it on a mobile devices with VR.
    In this case I would recommend you to use other more lightweight objects highlighting solution (i.e. rimlight).

@Epilol
    Hello,
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately you can use it only with SpriteRenderer - not CanvasRenderer. Here's why:
    @alex_h
    Hi! Please see above.

@ZJeremy
    Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this!
    At first, please make sure that you have applied all available hotfixes for v4.0: one, two, three
    I'll try to reproduce this issue as you've described on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Though please note that only mobile demo scene has proper setup for mobile devices (Global Illumination is disabled here and mobile shaders used).

@fisj
    Thanks for your kind words!
    I haven't seen this before. Could you please describe in detail how to reproduce this issue? (please include platform, versions and other relevant data)
    But first - please make sure to apply these hotfixes (one and two) if you're using Highlighting System v4.1.
    For v4.0 fixes see above.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    arnesso and Epilol like this.
  39. andyz

andyz

Does this system work fine in Unity 5's Deferred mode?

40. bsawyer

bsawyer

I'm testing on Android 4.2.2 - ASUS Transformer Pad, Nvidia Tegra 4 T40X, Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15

The highlighting simply doesn't appear at all, and I haven't noticed any messages in logcat to indicate issues.

Is there some option in PlayerSettings, GraphicsSettings, or QualitySettings that I should enable as a requirement? This is Unity Pro 5.0.3, with Android Pro.

Edit:
    I found out that, somehow or another, we were using version 3.0.1. I got 4.1 imported and attempting to play the Welcome scene hangs in Unity 5.0.x. It runs fine in 5.3.0, including on Android where the effect is now visible. The Asset Store page indicates that it was submitted using 5.1.1.... I'm guessing >5.1 is a requirement? If this was mentioned in the forum thread already I apologize but maybe this should be made clearer on the Asset Store page? It simply says "Unity 5 compatible".

Another edit:
    It seems if I open the Asset Store in Unity 5.0, and download the Highlighting System package, it downloads v3.0.1, but if I open Asset Store in Unity 5.3, it downloads the latest (4.1).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  41. ryan_hwd3d

ryan_hwd3d

I am having an issue on iOS, only on some hardware. It seems that on the iPad Air and iPad Air 2, the highlight covers the object completely and ignores all settings. Basically it causes the object to draw as one solid color, as if it is an unlit shader with no texture just the color of the highlight, on top of everything. But my same project will play properly on the iPad 3 and iPad 4. Do you have any idea what possible hardware changes could be causing this, and if so, what settings can I use to help fix this?

42. Fodalichking

Fodalichking

Hi,

I'm having an issue with objects that have transparent cutout shaders in my project, so I decided to have a look at the test scene that uses transparent object and it doesn't work as well (I've tried legacy and standard shaders).

I'm using deferred render and target platform is PC.

regards,

43. asimov

asimov

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how to set up the highlighter (where to place it, etc.) for a First person game. That is, two cameras as follows;

Player Object
    >>>>FPSCamera (Displays all layers apart from Weapon, Clear Flags=Skybox, Depth=0, farClipPlane=1000)
    >>>>WeaponCamera (Only displays the weapon, ClearFlags=Depth only, Depth=1, farClipPlane=10)

As the WeaponCamera is displaying over the FPSCamera, the highlighting isn't displayed. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

44. Droidhen

Droidhen

hi,
    we got problem in performce too in andoird device. highlighting system v4.0 with 3 steps fix,unity 5.2.3.s5(SM-G900L,android v4.4.2) framerate drop from 60 to 35 when we attach the renderer script to camera with no effect active.The effect is perfect and we want to use the asset,any solusions to this.
    Thanks

45. slice3d

slice3d

@andyz
    Yes, Highlighting System works equally in all rendering paths (Forward, Deferred, Legacy Vertex Lit and Legacy Deferred)

@bsawyer
    Yes, Unity 5.1.1 is required (because of this fix: "Graphics: Fixed command buffer RenderTargetIdentifier with RenderTexture argument.") in order to download and use Highlighting System 4.1.
    And yes, this is how Asset Store works. There is a note about that on the store page: "Package has been submitted using Unity 4.6.7, and 5.1.1 to improve compatibility within the range of these versions of Unity."
    But you're right - it is not obvious how Asset Store works internally. Sorry about the confusion! I will make a note about that in the package description with the next update.

@ryan_hwd3d
    Please apply this fix. Sorry for the inconvenience!

@Fodalichking
    Hi,
    I haven't seen any issues with this so far. Could you please describe this in more detail and provide some screenshots? Also make sure to read section "6.2 Using custom transparent shaders" of the provided documentation.

@asimov
    Hi,
    You want to highlight objects rendered with FPSCamera or with WeaponCamera?

@Droidhen
    Hi,
    Everything comes at a cost and Highlighting System is not an exception. Unfortunately performance drop may be much more noticeable on some Android devices. Feel free to ask for a refund if this is unacceptable for you.

46. Caedicus

Caedicus

Is there an update about the errors appearing when the camera has "Depth only" clear flags? Are there any workarounds for this besides changing the camera's clear flags?

Quoting @JackDog:
    "Dimensions of color surface does not match dimensions of depth surface" and
    "rcolorZero->backBuffer == rdepth->backBuffer"

Is the next patch coming out soon?

47. bsawyer

bsawyer

Update: This might be only a problem with Mac, and potentially a general shader compiler bug, not a bug with HighlightingSystem.

HighlightingSystem doesn't work as of Unity 5.3.2p1 (5.3.2f1 seems fine):
    The Editor console doesn't display this, but when running a Standalone build on Mac, the Player Log prints this shader dump when HighlightingBase::CheckSupported() is called:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  48. slice3d

slice3d

@Caedicus
    Yes, ETA for the next update is 1 week. There is still no reliable way in Unity to access native depth buffer, so it's always a matter of finding workarounds for each use-case. Sorry for the inconvenience!

@bsawyer
    Thanks for the detailed report about this issue! This seems related to the changes they've made to the shader compiler in this version of Unity:
    "(none) - OpenGL ES & desktop OpenGL (Shader compiler): Various bug fixes and performance improvements."
    I've been able to reproduce this issue on Mac and filed a bug report.

49. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Just bought this package recently and it looks great! Having some trouble getting it to work properly with 2D sprites, though. I see a lot of older posts here saying that it won't work, but it looks like the newer version supports it - is that correct?

I have a Canvas -> Panel -> Sprite setup. I can see in the inspector when I run the game that it creates the Highlighter script just fine, but I'm not getting any highlights :( I have the Highlight Renderer attached to the camera as well.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

50. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Just a followup - and this is weird. If I add the Highlighter component to the sprite manually, it works but it doesn't seem to want to work when added dynamically at runtime, even though I can see the Highlighter component being added via the inspector. Strange.