Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug High shadow filtering produces extreme artifacts on point lights.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by ziggamaster, Sep 27, 2023.

1. ziggamaster

ziggamaster

Hi all, I'm at a loss here.

Using the high shadow filtering seems to be completely broken. Any radius higher than 0.025 (or 0 really) adds a flickering seam to the realtime shadow map for that light.

Currently this makes it an unusable feature. This can not be fixed by using the bias sliders, or lowering/increasing shadow map resolution.

Easy to reproduce for everyone. Just start a new HDRP project (i've tried both a bare bones project and the sample scene as pictured below). Enable high filtering quality for point lights, and then set the radius on the point light to 0.2 for example with shadows enabeld. if the light is near a wall you will be able to see the outlines of the realtime shadow map clearly as flickering black stripes.

Does anyone here know why this is happening, or if it is a known bug with a workaround? I can't imagine Unity thinks this is acceptable for high quality shadows.

Tested on multiple machines with fresh projects. Additional picture shows this issue happening in my game use case where I have a light source that I would naturally need a higher radius point light for realistic shadows.

Tested on unity versions:
    • 2022.3.10f1 with HDRP 14.0.8 (released september 2023)
    • 2020.3.48f1 with HDRP 10.10.1 (released october 2022)

DomeCreator and Kabinet13 like this.
  2. Spazius

Spazius

Also occurs for me using 2021.3.29f1 and 2023.2.0b7

DomeCreator likes this.
  3. DomeCreator

DomeCreator

Also occurs on 2021.3.4f1 HDRP 10.10.1, searching since 16h now testing all "magic" stuff I could have found in the forum and I still have flickering artefact.

4. ziggamaster

ziggamaster

DomeCreator likes this.