Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

High Score Web Service

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Eric Powell, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Eric Powell

Eric Powell

Hello all,

We have developed a set of web services that ease the burden of developing a custom high score registration solution for games (Unity/XNA). It is more robust and scalable than the typical PHP/MySQL post pages and you don't have to worry about maintaining hardware since we do that.

This is implemented as a monthly service, so we realize this won't be for everyone. But if you are interested, please check us out at www.gameplumber.com.

We have free 30 day trials so you can see if it meets your needs without obligation. Once you sign up for your free trial you can login and download our SDK samples (C#).

We have 5 release licenses that we will be giving away to the first five that request it and mention this post in the Unity forums.

Thanks and we look forward to your feedback!

Eric

2. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I'd be interested. Highscore submission is a common thing and if it works what you did, why not.

3. Eric Powell

Eric Powell

Hi Martin, go to the site (www.gameplumber.com) and sign up for a free trial and I will promote it to a full account for you.

Don't forget to send us your feedback, it will be important for us since we are now working on our native iPhone library and would like to incorporate as much feedback as possible.

4. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Had a failure during registration, I bet it was I put in too much text into the title thingie. Had long text in there and gave me an error, but second time registering didn't work too as mail address was taken then. Meanwhile I was able to login and download the SDK. First experience: Make it compile somehow also on the Mac! I use Visual Studio only in a virtual machine and don't like to use Windows at all... :)

5. Eric Powell

Eric Powell

Ha! Whoops sorry about that guess I didn't validate enough for long game title names! :)

Check your email, I sent you your release info to get you started.

Thanks for giving it a spin!

Also, the C# library should compile out of the box using MonoDevelop and then you can slide the generated DLL wherever you need it -- without Visual Studio.

Let me know if you have troubles with that, maybe I should put together a pure mono package, instead of a combined Mono/VS.

6. Eric Powell

Eric Powell

Thanks everbody for your online and offline comments regarding the service. Several have mentioned a quicker ramp-up for integrating with Unity so below is a summary of our updated Unity targeted SDK...

Setting up GamePlumber to work with Unity 2.0.2

1) You must have either an active free trial release or active subscription release from http://www.gameplumber.com.

2) Download version 1.0.3 of the Client Library SDK if you haven't already from http://www.gameplumber.com/sdk.aspx. You must login first with the account you created in step 1 above.

3) Either recompile the C# source or simply copy GamePlumber.Library.dll (version 1.0.3) from the SDK into your Unity project's Standard Assets folder.

4) Copy the GamePlumberNetworkServices.js file from the SDK into your Unity Assets folder.

5) Edit the RELEASE_CODE, ACCESS_KEY, SECRET_KEY values supplied with the sample GamePlumberNetworkServices.js file to match your release's values.

6) Attach the GamePlumberNetworkServices.js to a GameObject in your scene.

Using the code from within Unity 2.0.2

Run your scene, and see the results. Check out the Update() function GamePlumberNetworkServices.js for iterating through the highscores.

GetHighScoresAsynchronously()
    Calling this method will begin an async call to fetch the existing high scores for your release without blocking the Unity engine and causing it to hang.

GetRegisterScoreAsynchronously()
    Calling this method will begin an async call to register a user's score for your release without blocking the Unity engine and causing it to hang. If the score is a high score, you can check it via the GetRegisterIsHighScore property on the background call completes.

Misc Notes

1) The GamePlumberNetworkServices.js file uses the excellent DebugConsole.cs script that can be found on the Unify Community wiki (http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=DebugConsole). If you don't wish to use this, change the DebugConsole lines to the standard Unity Debug object.