Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

High Quality PRB Detailed Sail Ship: Naval Cutter – 14-Carronade Cutter - Built-in, URP & HDRP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VIC20, Jan 14, 2017.

1. VIC20

VIC20

Asset Store Link

High quality 3D model of a 14-carronade cutter which were in use in the French Navy during the 1830s. This 3D model is based on a scale model of those cutters which can be seen in the Musée national de la Marine in Paris.

This model is suited for desktop usage only! (not tested on mobile!) It comes with many separated and rotatable parts, all of them parented and ready for rotation.

A prefab with a helper script is included to hoist and lower sails, set wind speed, set wind direction, open and close gun ports, rotate carronades, rotate rudder, yard and boom.

The geometry of the sails is flat, to simulate wind they are set up for Unity’s cloth system. Raising and lowering the sails works via blend shapes (unfortunately blend shapes are currently not compatible with cloth, a quick smooth transition between wind blown cloth and flat geometry is done when switching to blend shapes which might cause a tiny flicker). The sails and flag uses a double sided variant of the Standard Shader. To make them work with rotatable parts some of the ropes are handled by a script – those ropes are based on the line renderer.
    Please note that due to the complex nature of the rigging of a sail ship this will not always work perfectly: sometimes ropes will go through sails and sometimes cloth might go through colliders.
    The Asset has a simple setup of deck colliders for 3rd person prototyping usage.

Size of the textures is up to 4096x4096 but it still looks good if you reduce texture size on import. The ship uses the Unity 5 Standard Shader (Albedo, Metallic/Smootness, Normal Map, Height Map, Ambient Occlusion).

Statistics as shown in Unity (shadows disabled)

LOD0: Tris: 124.5k, Verts: 107.1k – SetPass calls: 11 – Battches: 78 – Saved by batching: 76
    LOD1: Tris: 52.2k, Verts: 49.7k – SetPass calls: 6 – Batches: 19 – Saved by batching: 49
    LOD2: Tris: 22.0k, Verts: 21.2k – SetPass calls: 6 – Batches: 18 – Saved by batching: 22

Two included demo scenes show how to control the rotations of rudder, sails, gun ports and carronades with a GUI

You can preview the script reference here:
    Script Reference: https://hessburg.com/AssetStore/NavalCutter_Readme_Scripting_Reference.pdf

Please note: No script or any other solution comes with this package which would actually move the ship model or give it buoyancy! The included scripts support rotation of ship parts only. No additional artwork or water included!

NEW: Cannon FX & Smoke:

NEW 1.2: Added versions for URP and HDRP

Asset Store Link

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    hopeful likes this.
  2. VIC20

VIC20

3. VIC20

VIC20

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. VIC20

VIC20

Update 1.0.1 is out:

– Added float CutterControl.SailClothDamping to offer a quick way to set the motion damping for all sail clothes.

Increasing motion damping is helpful if the sails start to stutter when the cutter moves at a unrealistically high velocity. (like when moving it with warp speed in a RTS)

5. VIC20

VIC20

6. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

It got selected just moments after I put it on my wishlist. I immediately bought it. It's amazing. Although it would have been perfect if it had a below deck too. Is it possible for you to add one? Even if it's empty.

7. hopeful

hopeful

Excellent modeling, as always! :)

8. VIC20

VIC20

I have no internal deck plan for this cutter but I think I can do that by creating something generic. I would have to separate the door of the current model and add the interior model. I will try to do it, but I don’t know when I will find time.

Thank you! Which one of my models have you bought before?

ShizofMalkavian and John-G like this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

Actually, this ship will be the first. I didn't even know you had this one out there. But I saw your Vietnam era helicopters when you released those (a year or so ago), and then I found your flying saucer model, and then the dirigible. They're all great, and are in my wish list. I'm just trying to get my project more completely underway before I buy assets that would be fun to have, but are not absolutely essential at this point of development.

VIC20 likes this.
  10. John-G

John-G

Indeed another excellent model, and a great chance to get it at a great price with the 24hr sale.
    Love the cloth sails which are rigged and working with included scripts to raise/lower each sail separately.
    The PBR textures really bring the model to life.

Will have to find a way to integrate it into my ww2 naval sim somehow, may be as a ghost ship :D

VIC20 likes this.
  11. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, I'm thinking ghost ship too. :)

12. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

Thank you for considering it. And if you have plans to do more ships from age of sails, please do. Because I would buy them all in a heartbeat.

13. VIC20

VIC20

Nice to hear that someone actually sets my models on a wish-list :)

Thank you. Same here, wish I could somehow add it to desktop version of my WOTA subsim, maybe I’ll convert it to a wreck.

Such a ship is a lot of work, I’m currently busy working on a WW1 and a WW2 aircraft – both with cockpits.

John-G likes this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

Just wanted to come back and mention that I picked up this ship, and I'm downloading / importing now. :)

I'm very impressed not just with the looks of it, but also with the working / moving parts like the sails.

VIC20 likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Wow ... there is a lot under the hood with this ship model! LODs, blendshapes, .... For those needing a well-detailed ship, this is a great buy.

I'm going to have to take another look after I've had some sleep. ;)

VIC20 likes this.
  16. VIC20

VIC20

Thanks. Yes, I thought it would be handy for most people to get it ready for usage out of the box.

BTW: I’ve done some experiments with particles for cannon fire. What do you think about it?
    Maybe I’ll add them to the asset in the future, but I first have to get rid of some 3rd party content that I’ve used and of course I need the time to do it.

hopeful likes this.
  17. John-G

John-G

Wow really nice cannon fire effects. :cool:

VIC20 likes this.
  18. VIC20

VIC20

Thank you. Hope I can keep the look when changing particle textures.

19. John-G

John-G

An interior would be fantastic, looking forward to it.
    Will make a a fantastic model even more so.

hopeful likes this.
  20. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

That is definitely great news!

21. VIC20

VIC20

Keep in mind this ship type has no windows or hatches at all below the upper deck. I will add walls, the hatches and air openings to the deck and a stove. It will be generic for such a type of vessel and not historically accurate for exactly this cutter and my plan is to do it without any other furniture.

John-G likes this.
  22. Tropobor

Tropobor

She is indeed very beautifull, especially the work on the sails. From where come the plans to build this model ? You say it's based on a scale model from Musée national de la Marine, do you work with drawings? Do you know those from Anatomy of a ship The Naval Cutter Alert 1777?

23. VIC20

VIC20

Thank you. I’ve collected dozens of pictures of the ship while building it. I’ve started working based on a few pictures of models of the ship but quickly got some plans so I’ve corrected the model and continued based on the pictures and the plans.
    I don’t have the "Anatomy of a ship Naval Cutter Alert 1777“ book but the Alert is an earlier cutter of the Royal Navy. The one I’ve made is a type of cutter the French Navy used in the 1830s

24. Tropobor

Tropobor

Just out of curiosity, are you using this or do you have other resources ?
    Cutter14.jpg

25. VIC20

VIC20

Tropobor, hopeful and John-G like this.
  26. VIC20

VIC20

Look like I will release the update with cannon smoke soon. Got rid of the sorting issues, wrote a new shader and made my custom textures. I just don’t got shadows working. If I ever figure out why they don’t work then I will add them later.

hopeful likes this.
  27. VIC20

VIC20

Version 1.1 uploaded – should be online within a few days.

New in 1.1: Added particle FX (sparks, fire & smoke) and audio effects for the carronades.

The FX offers a simulation of single shots or broadsides. Each carronade of a broadside has a short random delay to offer a more realistic simulation. Reloading is simulated by a simple timer (e.g. when a carronade was fired 10 seconds ago and the reloading timer is set to 27 seconds the carronade won’t fire until the reloading time went up – even if it gets the order to fire as a part of a broadside.) – Please note: This is just a visual simulation, it does not offer any trajectory calculations or physics to simulate cannonballs.

28. hopeful

hopeful

Beautiful FX! :)

VIC20 likes this.
  29. VIC20

VIC20

Version 1.1 is available now.

30. VIC20

VIC20

Today "Naval Cutter – 14 Carronade Cutter" became part of this weeks themed 24 hour sales by Unity. It’s on sale (30% off) for the next 24 hours.

Asset Store Link

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  31. Julhelm

Julhelm

Really nice work and excellent quality as usual. For the price this asset is a steal IMO.

hopeful likes this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

@VIC20 - Hey there! :)

I don't want to put you on the spot, but did you have plans for adding anything to the interior of the ship? (You alluded to it a few months back, not sure if anything is happening yet.)

33. VIC20

VIC20

Yes, I still plan to add the basic interior. I just gave more love than expected to the cannon smoke FX and I’m currently still too busy with other things, but I will of course continue working on it as soon as I have released some other assets first. :)

34. VIC20

VIC20

35. VIC20

VIC20

Version 1.1.1
    is a minor update:

Converted some FBX files to an earlier FBX version to ensure compatibility with Blender.

Thanks goes to Wearedelivr.com who pointed me at this issue.

36. VIC20

VIC20