Search Unity

Question High priority local volume not overriding exposure setting of lower priority global volume

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by mroshaw, Sep 24, 2022.

1. mroshaw

mroshaw

Hi!

I have an asset in my scene that has created a global volume with an Exposure override setting the mode to "Fixed". The global volume has a priority of 50.

I have created a local volume in my scene, with an Exposure override setting the mode to "Automatic". The local volume has a priority of 1000.

When my camera enters the local volume collider, I expected the local Exposure override to completely replace the override applied by the global volume. However, it appears that the global volume is still affecting what I'm seeing. For example, if I toggle the global volume exposure override off and on while in the local volume, the camera view changes.

I thought that by setting a higher priority in the local volume, it would "usurp" any exposure override settings on the global volume.

Is that not the case?

2. akent99

akent99

My understanding is any property with a tick mark next to it will override the lower volume property. So when you say "toggle the exposure override on/off" it depends how you are doing it. Turning off the override will fall back to underlying volume. Normally you would leave the override on, but change its value.

Oh, and I assume the local volume weights are set to 100%, not 50% etc? Many properties are blended based on the weight. E.g. I was adjusting exposure at one stage by blending the exposure volume weight. I ended up just using ISO/Aperture/Shutterspeed on a Cinemachine virtual camera instead for exposure though as I did not want the automatic values, and as properties of a game object they were easier to animate when needed.

3. mroshaw

mroshaw

Hey! Thanks so much for the detailed response.

So, yes, weight is 1.0f for both volumes. When I say "toggle", I'm toggling the override, not the volume component or GameObject.

I think you've answered this for me - by toggling the override off on the global Volume, it's falling back to the setting in my HDRP / Quality settings, right? That would explain what I'm seeing!

I'm still getting my head around all the places settings can appear in HDRP!

Thank you so much again - really kind of you to reply and help me out.

4. akent99

akent99

Me too! ;-). Replying I often find forces me to understand properly too!

5. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Your assumption is totally correct, volumes with higher priorities will override the ones with lower ones. It is not normal that your local volumes with a higher priority cannot override the global one.

You should share your setup/level, as it is not working as expected. You might have another volume creating an issue, or some odd setup.

6. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Did you also override the min and max exposure values in the local volume ?
    If you only override the mode, but not the min and max, it will use automatic exposure with the min and max values that are set either in the global volume if it overrides it, or the default volume settings.