Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

high level roadmap request

Discussion in 'Burst' started by Ashkan_gc, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

We are using burst actively in multiple projects includign our own survival game using DOTS in pre-production and we really love it. Back then when I understood deterministic math will be postponed to speed up the compiler first, I still wasn't capable of understanding how much taht is needed so it is great that you guys did that.
    We'll upgrade to 1.5 tomorrow to see if we can find any speed-ups or not. One of our guys will do that to see if we gain any compilation time speed-ups. That combined with fast play mode makes our job much easier.

Burst is great in general but can you request you put a general even with no times, just a priority list maybe for burst. In this way we can know if for example determinism will come this year or not and what are the focus of the compiler in the near future.

As far as I can see , support for other architectures and speed ups were the focus for 1.5 so I am curious to know what is next and other than curiosity , it would help us decide if we should invest on certain things for deterministic math on our own or we can have the burst version in a good time-frame

Many thanks

Morbeavus and JoNax97 like this.
  2. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Indeed, we can post a roadmap thread on this channel. Note that we don't have a visibility in our roadmap beyond the next version, so for example we are currently working on 1.6 which will be part of 2021.2 Unity release schedule, but we don't have insights about exactly what we will do for 1.7 (Unity 2022.1)

3. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Thanks for the reply and yes 1.6 is all I would want to know about and I would not count on it at all even if you wrote stuff for 1.7 or worse , later than that :) Specially on a technology which its users and use-cases will change in a drastic manner in the coming months. The long compilation times which had to be resolved is the case in point which probably wasn't expected to be the priority this soon (or maybe it did, what do I know)

But to not talk to much. Knowing about 1.6 would be fantastic.

Btw 1.5 shortened our compilation times, I don't have exact measurements but it is enough that we feel it and we did not divide our 250 systems project into smaller assemblies yet. If we do then times are totally tolerable now. compared to 1.2 it is like night and day (we started on 1.2 IIRC)