Search Unity

Question High gpu usage at lowest settings

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Smellfish, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Smellfish

Smellfish

Hello!
    I have a gtx 980ti, which still is a relatively powerful gpu. even for 2022.
    Despite that, my game, uses a good 20% of the gpu even though i've pushed everything to the lowests settings.
    At this point, i'm at a loss for what to do. i cannot get it to run at anything below 20% despite the game not being graphically intense. it has to render 25K polygons at best, and maybe about 5K at least. But even when i have a model of += 1.3K poly and nothing else in screen (occlusion culling is on and there are assets off screen (+-10K)), it still uses 20%.
    To me these are just straight up insane numbers. +- 10% is realistic for how complex the game graphically is.

I have a lot of shadergraphs, which might be the issue.
    I also have a lot of materials.
    The game uses material.setfloat() and material.setcolor() every frame.

does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?
    Thanks in advance.

ps: the msi afterburner fps overlay and unity's fps counter don't match. does anyone know a fix to that as well?

2. c0d3_m0nk3y

c0d3_m0nk3y

If you are GPU bound and you don't have vsync or Application.targetFrameRate enabled, the game will run as fast as possible and therefore hog 100% of your GPU, no matter how fast it is.

Smellfish likes this.
  3. Smellfish

Smellfish

the vsync is set to every v blank, and the targetfps is set to 60.

4. c0d3_m0nk3y

c0d3_m0nk3y

I would never make a statement like "with 25k polygons a gtx 980ti must only run at 10%", and I'm doing this professionally. There are just too many variables that can affect render time.

But if you want to know exactly where your render time is going, profile it in NSight Graphics.

Smellfish likes this.
  5. Smellfish

Smellfish

Thanks!
    I am by no means an expert on this subject. Not even close, so sorry if i say dumb things.
    I'll take a look into the software you've sent me, and see if i can optimise the game.

c0d3_m0nk3y likes this.
  6. c0d3_m0nk3y

c0d3_m0nk3y

Smellfish likes this.
  7. Smellfish

Smellfish

Thank you. I think that these tools will be enough to get the graphics more optimised.

c0d3_m0nk3y likes this.