Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

*High Definition* pipeline performance expectations

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 2, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In the same spirit as the thread for lw https://forum.unity.com/threads/lightweight-pipeline-performance-expectations.515382/

I am asking if it's a tough job to target switch when coming from HD? What wiggle room do I have to port without picking a whole new pipeline? I ask because our title suits HD for desktop, PS4 and XB1, but would it alienate a switch port? we have no need for mobile.

Happy to turn off a lot of shader features, just wondering what is possible and if it is even on the table. Usually I would not ask but SRP really does demand consideration which pipeline to choose, and switch is in a unique place.

Thanks for all and any thoughts you have about tweaking HD to support switch.

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Same here, literally same platforms and situation so would also like to know.

Thanks for asking this!

3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    to help you in your decision, here is the current state and future state (Remember HD is experimental).

HD D3D11. Heavily tested (Various bug already reported).
    HD D3D12. Not really tested, could work.
    HD PS4. Heavily tested (Bug with async compute reported)
    HD XBoxOne. Almost not tested. There is a lack of ESRAM management here, so performance are WAY worse than with PS4.
    HD Metal almost as good as D3D (a bit more issue here). Not heavily tested.
    HD Vulkan almost as godd as D3D (a bit more issue here). Almost not tested.

The support of Switch may come with Vulkan, but no test and no run have been done. I expect it to not work at all for now.

Future plan (2018.2 and more):

Have all cited platform working. Switch not on schedule currently. If Vulkan work, maybe Switch may work.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks Seb, very helpful.