Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hierarchy2 - A powerful Hierarchy extension

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by thienhaflash, Jan 16, 2014.

1. OnePxl

OnePxl

Love hat inspector lock! Sure, count me in.

2. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Yes, please!

3. mdrotar

mdrotar

Sign me up! I sure could've used that Inspector Lock feature the other day.

4. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, I am right now using another asset that has a very important dropdown option when I right click an object in hierarchy. But when hierarchy asset is installed that other assets right click option disappears. What should I do to also see that assets option, or just disable hierarchy2's own dropdown menu?

5. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@OnePxl, Victor_Kallai, mdrotar : I'm finishing the Release Notes before sending out beta, should be in some more hours ...

@Meceka : You can change Hierarchy2's dropdown menu by opening Hierarchy2.cs file, line 1193, which is currently is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (selectionRect.xRMB_isDown().noModifier)
    Change it to (change .noModifier to .with_Ctrl)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (selectionRect.xRMB_isDown().with_Ctrl)

This way you can still retrieve Hierarchy2's dropdown menu by holding Ctrl then RightClick.
    Actually, I did change Hierarchy2's dropdown to be Ctrl + RightClick in v1.4.0 Beta as it's interfere with Unity4.5+ 's default context menu.

Meceka and mdrotar like this.
  6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hierarchy2 v1.4.0 b1 is sent out. Looking forward to your feedbacks :)

7. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks to @RupertMcG 's excellent idea, here come the GameObject Highlighter ...

OnePxl likes this.
  8. Korindian

Korindian

Didn't even think of that coloring before, but now that I see it, it looks like it'll be really useful!. Will we be able to choose the color with a color picker?

9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Korindian : Color picker does not available right now. I will add the color settings to the reference panel at least, I think that way you can pick the color once and use it over and over. Anyway, after that I will try to do the color picker, seems that it being prefered than color presets ...

10. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but here is what I would do using Hierarchy2 : Combine children first then drag & drop

A unity's built in feature I've just found out is that you can go to the parent by hitting Alt-Left Arrow, then hit Alt-Left Arrow once again to close it, not sure when was it introduced, but really helpful indeed. For the above task, you can also use that keyboard shortcut to quickly open / close that big parent.

11. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

Great work on the Highlighting feature! Thank you so much. Doesn't seem like it's in the latest version but looking forward to release.

What I meant with groups opening automatically all the time is when you select something in the scene view that resides in a closed group. That group then always opens up in the hierarchy view to select & show the object there, which is very annoying when you have big scenes with lots of nested groups and objects that create mile-long hiearchies that you then have to close back up again. If that is preventable somehow through Hierarchy2 it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a checkbox in the preferences?

12. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I may not understand you correctly but have you tried to use the combine children as I suggested above ? Isn't it working for you ? After locking and combining, you can't select it in the scene view any more. Anyway, I have another idea about this, will try it when I got home, if it's working it would be more intuitive ... :)

13. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

That does do the trick, thank you :)

14. Korindian

Korindian

Been playing with the beta, and it's pretty nice. Here is some feedback (I believe you already have plans to implement some of these):

Will we be able to toggle components view through the preferences menu?
    Do you have plans to bring back the context menu on the camera for viewing through it (I know I can use Shift + L in the meantime)?
    Colors 7-9 are empty (I think according to the readme you probably already know this).
    What does the red dot icon signify when you have multiple GameObjects selected?
    Even with Scripts enabled in the preferences, I'm not able to see them in the hierarchy.
    Certain components icons are missing, like mesh renderer.

Thanks for sending the beta btw.

15. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Absolutely yes, after all the bug fixes

I'm trying to integrate with Unity's built-in context menu, temporary to prevent conflict, I put it under Ctrl + Right-Click

Tried to select some color but I'm so terrible at design that I can hardly do it ! I will ask my friend for help on this and It will available in next update

Originally I planed to allow users to change the order of the selection, so should show the index in selection like 1,2,3,4 ... instead of empty white / red like that. But currently Unity does not respect the selection order, I can not find a way to make it works. So the only thing available right now is red means the first active GameObject in Selection, clicking on the whites will make it red. I think I will remove it in the next version as I found it almost zero usability :(

Another experimental thing. But it will come in next update !

Some components does not expose much useful so I turned it off by default, you can turn it on by Shift+C+P for physics components or Shift+C+U for useless (Not actually useless, though, just not giving more any more information) components like Transform & MeshFilters to show up. Anyway, think I should show it by default, and allow people to turn them off when they want.

Thanks a lot for your feedback Korindian ! It's absolutely awesome !
    And looking forward for Hierarchy2_v1.4_beta3 :)

16. Saxi

Saxi

There is some quirkiness in Unity 5.

When right clicking on the Hierarchy (but not above a game object) it shows the Unity 5 context menu. Right clicking above a game object (without selecting it) will show the Hierarchy 2 menu but none of the Unity 5 menu.

It mostly works fine, but there is some weirdness.

Any update on the new color scheme that was suggested before so it is easier to see?

17. unsubstantiation

unsubstantiation

Hi :)
    I'm looking at buying this asset, and I had a simple question, does it support changing the theme of the hierarchy. I use Unity 5 free, and I have occasional difficulty discerning whether items are active or inactive with the light theme. I see pictures of the dark theme used here, and that's something I want, I only need it for the hierarchy though. Or alternatively does this allow me to change the text color. Thank you for your time.

18. Saxi

Saxi

It was suppose to be added to a future update but I don't think it is being actively developed.

unsubstantiation likes this.
  19. jerotas

jerotas

This plugin has serious issues on a Mac. We get Unity locking up for long periods of time with an error something like "Vietlabs could not find file X. Trying to find...".

Please test this on a Mac and fix this in an update soon. We're force to remove the plugin from our game (even though we love it) for our team members that work on Macs.

Thank you,
    -Brian

20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Sorry everyone for being not responsive recently. I was so busy with personal stuffs that could not provide the update any sooner. Anyway, I will have a look at it this weekend and hopefully I can fix all the remaining things.

Thanks a lot !

jerotas likes this.
  21. mdrotar

mdrotar

22. Saxi

Saxi

tosiabunio, cybervaldez and Meceka like this.
  23. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

No update yet, so many things to do recently. Sorry everyone, I was adding some more cool features as well as refactor quite a bit. In addition to that I have a lot of personal things to do recently, I barely have no time to keep this going forward as I wanted ... I'm still trying to make Hierarchy2 a better and better citizen of Unity3D ecosystem just not as fast as it should be ... So, sorry again, everyone !

24. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Great to hear. You still have some nice features not encountered elsewhere (like color coding of hierarchy levels), so I can't say your solution is superseded yet by others on the Store. I do hope you'll resolve the issues soon and return the Hierarchy2 to the status of a must-have asset.

thienhaflash likes this.
  25. Meceka

Meceka

I was expecting performance improvements for hierarchy2, it was most noticable when selecting a gameobject in a huge scene of ours. I profiled editor and it was the tree view of hierarchy that caused the latency after selecting gameobject. I purchased other solution and it performs better with tree view enabled.

thienhaflash likes this.
  26. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Meceka : I'm pretty sure that the current beta is perform well enough to beat other solutions, would you want to have a look on the current beta ? I can send you the beta version then, of course

@bac9-flcl : Yes, the next comming feature is finding scene reference, where you can know instantly which Components has references to the selected GameObject, I really think that it's new and helpful, indeed !

Any other recommendations / suggestions are all more than welcome as usual ... I think I may need to put the beta version to the asset store then, at least all basic functionality is good plus the performance but I really really don't like to push out such an incomplete piece of software ...

27. Meceka

Meceka

Thanks, but I can't risk using beta version. (An old non-beta version of hierarchy2 with hotkey bug messed up my scene long ago.)

28. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Could I get a copy of the beta version if it's not going up in asset store soon? Thanks!

29. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

An update was submitted to the asset store today, hopefully it will go through shortly !

schmosef, bac9-flcl and mdrotar like this.
  30. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

Hi Thienhaflash,

Just wanted to check in on the current state of Hierarchy 2 - are you still updating this? We are on the 5.4.0b10 here and are getting some errors, but we would love to keep using the plugin for a long time yet ;)

31. Saxi

Saxi

Check out QHierarchy, we switched a while ago and been much happier. Got tired of waiting for fixes and updates for Hierarchy2 and it is a lot better.

32. John-G

John-G

Dont have Hiearchy context menu in Unity5 only have default unity version. Any fix for this?

33. Saxi

Saxi

This has been buggy and lacking updates for a long time. Check out qhierarchy, it's a much better solution that is actively maintained.

34. John-G

John-G

Still would like to give the Dev the opertunity to maintain his product. He is still active on the forums so hopefully he sees this and responds.
    Will look at qhierarchy if @thienhaflash is no longer supporting this asset, which I'm hoping is not the case.

35. Saxi

Saxi

Save yourself time and look through the history of this thread but it's up to you.

36. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Update working in progress - I'm rewriting Hierarchy2, again :(

Now with colors and shortcut sorted out, next version of Hierarchy2 will allow you to customize your icon texture, color and shortcut.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    John-G, schmosef and Flipbookee like this.
  37. schmosef

schmosef

You can do it!

This tool has some really great features.

With a little polish, it could again be the best and most popular hierarchy window tool in the asset store.

thienhaflash likes this.
  38. John-G

John-G

That's great news, didn't want to give up on this asset as really loved it. Only for the unity5 bugs it was a killer asset.

thienhaflash and schmosef like this.
  39. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks a lot for your encourages, everyone ! I won't give up on this :)

40. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Update work in progress : Global settings

- Toggle Hierarchy2 icons (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + H )
    - Open Hierarcy2 setting panel (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + O )
    - Enable / Disable shortcuts
    - Change space between icons
    - Change icon offset from the right
    - Toggle icon background

41. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Update WIP :

- Most hierarchy features working now : active, lock, children count, layer, components, script indicator ...
    - Tested with Unity 4.3 & 5.4
    - Performance is quite good
    - Updating Online Documentation (features marked as red is not completed yet)
    - Features and tasks I'm working on is being updated on Trello

The plan is to have a public beta version next week, mostly try to catch as many bugs as possible before the official release.

Any ideas, suggestions, critics are more than welcome as always !

Thanks a lot everyone.

John-G and schmosef like this.
  42. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today, Hierarchy2 is in Staff Pick list !

schmosef likes this.
  43. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

A public beta version for Hierarchy2 is now ready.

Anyone who would like to give a hand testing or to try out Hierarchy2 before buy it can drop me a line and I can send the link to the beta version to you.

There are more tests required so please backup your project before use.
    The document is not included but hosted online : http://tiny.cc/h2-docs

I think the open beta will last in about 1-2 weeks

Thanks a lot !

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    schmosef likes this.
  44. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today, Hierarchy2 v2.0 is submitted to the asset store as a free upgrade and will be available in several days !

The price tag changed to $30 for new customers, though !

I rewrite everything for performance and usability, everything is customizable now included icons, colors, shortcuts ... This compatible with Unity 4.3 to Unity 5.5 beta

Any feedback, suggestions, bug reports are more than welcome as always !
    Thanks a lot everyone for supporting me !

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    schmosef and John-G like this.
  45. John-G

John-G

Nice one, look forward to the update.

46. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

First post updated with new information and shortcuts. Or you can also have a look at the updated documentation

Have a look to get familiar with the default shortcuts, it's being chosen carefully. Please tell if you see some shortcuts are not to your taste so I can improve it !

Thanks a lot !

47. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

48. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Working on new art work for Hierarchy2 :) Not yet very please with it, any ideas would be more than welcome!

49. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today,

Parent Indicator feature is back. I will need some more test to make sure everything is working fine before submit Hierarchy2 v2.1 to the assetstore (free upgrade as usual)

John-G and schmosef like this.
  50. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today,

Hierarchy2 v2.1 is uploaded to the asset store (as a free upgrade, as always) and will be available in several days. This version add the Parent Indicator feature back, together with other minor fixes and improvements.

The next version will add the long awaited feature Scene References, stay tune for the Hierarchy2 v2.2 update!

schmosef likes this.