Search Unity

Hierarchy2 - A powerful Hierarchy extension

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by thienhaflash, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I agree here, the visual choices are overall not very good. Icons clash with every other icon in the Unity editor, color fills don't have consistent saturation and brightness, scripted object highlighting actively impairs readability with it's acid color, the array of layer highlight colors is chaotic and helps little to highlight the hierarchy, and so on.

Thankfully all that is fairly easy to fix. I can post relevant parts of the modified code if anyone is interested.

2. Saxi

Saxi

I know the code can be modified, but it would be nice the source to be updated so when adding it to projects it is fine.

I would be curious to see your color scheme and see how you fixed it and post the code so we can get it added in to the source. That would be great because I found it very hard to read but I like the idea of the asset a lot. Just hasn't worked since I bought it without using beta versions.

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

@bac9-flcl That is beautiful! Maybe you could share that code/icons directly with @thienhaflash so he could implement that view for everyone (can't imagine a better choice than what you did)?

4. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

For obvious reasons I won't post the full code here, but here is what you can do to make things look like the screenshot above:

1. Open VietLabs/Core/Editor/vlbEditorSkin.cs and replace the opening part (above static int GetIndex(bool active), where icons are stored) with the following code:

Code (csharp):
    1.         private const string eye_dark_active        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAItJREFUeNrUU8EJACEMq+J0uodDuYeu10OoEEuQA+9zQhFbEmNTg6rKzYpyua4JUmvtVO+2F1astUo6ADOcZ6MGI4oEqAaegGAxLKegaiNAoMBt3aJYTpBoPj8SuQjOFp5kEfVPbKTMkPeKNqXJ2cRke1c2N7yNHqCkN68msYB9y87CBin8/zM9AgwAMTgy1MRBpbIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    2.         private const string eye_dark_inactive        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAJRJREFUeNrUk28KwCAIxS063eo0na26nsOhYSIxaF8mxP649/NtrwVEhJOKcFjHgFRr3fU7H7PXLKVA2ggvdU0fanig6AiRxSQIvAbfQ+VqAWghyDSySIsnD+5NUGvtAVi7U6zf1UAE1D+J0SWTPSk+d50mE5M8JJDspLKkYWO0ArQT3+7ErOKTOLO3kcL/f6ZbgAEARlE2iHHCLKIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    3.         private const string eye_light_active        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAItJREFUeNrUU8EJACEMq+J0uodDuYeu10OoEEuQA+9zQhFbEmNTg6rKzYpyua4JUmvtVO+2F1astUo6ADOcZ6MGI4oEqAaegGAxLKegaiNAoMBt3aJYTpBoPj8SuQjOFp5kEfVPbKTMkPeKNqXJ2cRke1c2N7yNHqCkN68msYB9y87CBin8/zM9AgwAMTgy1MRBpbIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    4.         private const string eye_light_inactive        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAJRJREFUeNrUk28KwCAIxS063eo0na26nsOhYSIxaF8mxP649/NtrwVEhJOKcFjHgFRr3fU7H7PXLKVA2ggvdU0fanig6AiRxSQIvAbfQ+VqAWghyDSySIsnD+5NUGvtAVi7U6zf1UAE1D+J0SWTPSk+d50mE5M8JJDspLKkYWO0ArQT3+7ErOKTOLO3kcL/f6ZbgAEARlE2iHHCLKIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    6.         private const string lock_dark_active        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAHFJREFUeNpi/P//PwMlgImBQkCxASy4JLKzszdJSEj4SkpKMjx//pzhxYsXm6dOnepHtAtAmr98+cJw6tSpZyAaxMeqEBSI2PDs2bP/4+PDMMVhwIgtGufMmYMzblNSUhgHVzQOvAGMQz8vUGwAQIABALwzUbFU+Id6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC";
    7.         private const string lock_dark_inactive        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAHBJREFUeNpi/P//PwMlgImBQkCxASy4JIyMjDYoKir6KykpMdy7d4/h/v37m8+dO+dHtAtAmt+/f8+wdevWZyAayPfFqhAUiMTgkpKS/9jEKQ4DRmzRWFpaijNuu7u7GQdXNA68AYxDPy9QbABAgAEAf2RRRAqkQ1QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    8.         private const string lock_light_active        = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAHFJREFUeNpi/P//PwMlgImBQkCxASy4JLKzszdJSEj4SkpKMjx//pzhxYsXm6dOnepHtAtAmr98+cJw6tSpZyAaxMeqEBSI2PDs2bP/4+PDMMVhwIgtGufMmYMzblNSUhgHVzQOvAGMQz8vUGwAQIABALwzUbFU+Id6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC";
    9.         private const string lock_light_inactive    = "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAGXRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBBZG9iZSBJbWFnZVJlYWR5ccllPAAAAHBJREFUeNpi/P//PwMlgImBQkCxASy4JIyMjDYoKir6KykpMdy7d4/h/v37m8+dO+dHtAtAmt+/f8+wdevWZyAayPfFqhAUiMTgkpKS/9jEKQ4DRmzRWFpaijNuu7u7GQdXNA68AYxDPy9QbABAgAEAf2RRRAqkQ1QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=";
    2. Open VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs and find internal static void EditLevelStrip(Rect r, GameObject go) around the line 620. Replace the if (go.numScriptMissing () > 0 || go.numScript () > 0) section of it with this:

3. In the beginning of the same file, replace the internal static readonly Color[] HLColors declaration with the following:

Code (csharp):
    2. internal static readonly Color[] HLColors =
    3. {
    4.        new HSBColor (0.0f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    5.        new HSBColor (0.1f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    6.        new HSBColor (0.2f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    7.        new HSBColor (0.3f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    8.        new HSBColor (0.4f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    9.        new HSBColor (0.5f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    10.        new HSBColor (0.6f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    11.        new HSBColor (0.7f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    12.        new HSBColor (0.8f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor(),
    13.        new HSBColor (0.9f, 0.65f, 1f).ToColor()
    14. };
    I think this covers it all. Oh, and you will need HSBColor for this to work, but it's a pretty useful class that can be used for tons of other things so it's not too bad. Defining that color gradient through RGB would've been a pain. You can get HSBColor here. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=HSBColor

Also, the current beta needs quite a few if (go != null) { } conditions added around methods in Hierarchy2.cs and vlbObject.cs, if you want to stop it from spamming the log with null reference exceptions every time you undo object duplication or stop the play mode. It's fairly easy to know where, just follow the NRE traces from the editor console until you run out of errors.

5. Saxi

Saxi

That looks a ton better, I'd still prefer more distinctive enabled/disabled (maybe green/red) and the two greens and aqua kind of close to each other in shades.

6. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

You can easily customize their hue component separation to be bigger than between other colors (first argument in HLColors declaration).

As about enabled/disabled icons, those are byte64 encoded textures, you can make any 16x16px texture you want, convert it (there are online converters available) and paste it into the vlbEditorSkin. Just make sure you choose a stripped down format without location data and so on, so that resulting code won't be kilometer long.

7. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's wonderful bac9-flcl. I really appreciated your help and will definely include this theme for the next release.

I will definetely check this also :( My bad

8. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Great to hear!

It would also be nice to have an option to enable/disable all hotkeys or customize them in a dedicated window. If I remember correctly, some of them were colliding with NGUI hotkeys, so I had to comment them out in the code, - but not every user would go there.

9. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I am getting Pi**ed off at Unity for changing everything the whole time. I buy assets like crazy, I am happy and then suddenly they don't work anymore and why the Hell did Unity stop sorting the Hierarchy. This is not just this asset, but loads, it is stopping me deadin my tracks and wasteing time and money. I am seriously thinking of not buying anything anymore as it probibly won't work a few weeks or months down the line when you need it. Unity should get themselves sorted out and respect assets that have been created for Unity as Unity is slowly but surely becomeing a piece of junk. Expensive Junk! Indies are dying out slowly too and maybe that is what they want.

10. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

You do realize that you can complete your whole game on a single version of Unity, never updating it after starting production? And you surely do realize that many game developers do exactly that, rendering the whole situation a non-issue?

11. Saxi

Saxi

Most assets work perfectly fine throughout the updates. Hierarchy 2 broke because there was major changes in the Hierarachy logic. But like 29 of my 30 assets I bought all work as far as I have seen.

12. Saxi

Saxi

I get this error with the beta:

ArgumentException: Object type UnityEditor.TreeViewItem[] cannot be converted to target type: System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEditor.TreeViewItem]
    Parameter name: val

I have gotten other errors, so I stopped using it, but I was trying it again and noticed this one pop up right away.

Not sure if you are already aware of this, this is for the beta 1.3.8b1

13. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Saxi, can you tell me which version you are in so I can have a look ? Are there any special action you are doing triggering this or it just happens ?

I will check this absolutely, thanks a lot for reporting .

14. Saxi

Saxi

beta 1.3.8b1, I am not doing anything special, I have a tiny project (like 10 lines of code). Any idea when a stable version will be out, I bought it a few months ago, and have yet to be able to actually use it. First it was making my mouse go whacky, then 4.5.1 caused it to break, and the beta that actually works with 4.5.1+ throws strange errors and just makes it more confusing to work with. (it appears to function, I see the changes in the hierarchy, but it just throws odd errors).

15. Saxi

Saxi

Here is another example:

16. Anderz

Anderz

Any news on this update? It's been a while now, and I've had to stop using this plugin due to the issues others have reported.

17. Saxi

Saxi

I bought it 3 months ago and have yet to be able to use it. Between mouse bugs, 4.5.2, and other ones, it hasn't been usable since.

18. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Hello thienhaflash, are you still working on this, or is it abandoned? I mean no offense, but it's been a long time since we've seen a working version. Tell us if we need to move on and find another solution.

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

Pleasepleaseplease don't abandon this plugin. If necessary, just remove all functionalities that you can't fix. Even only with the eye icon (and possibly the new skin suggested by @bac9-flcl) it would still be very useful.

20. Korindian

Korindian

For those of you who bought this asset, you can personal message the creator, @thienhaflash , for access to the beta, which works with the latest Unity version with no errors. I just did this yesterday and received a link. I'm not sure why he's not responding to this thread.

21. Saxi

Saxi

I have the beta version that works with 4.5+ and it throws a lot of errors and has bugs that frequently clutter console logs.

22. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for being not updating the asset for a long time, it was under heavy refactor and I was so busy with my full time job and got no time left recently. I will never abandon this plugin for sure, a lot of new features being planed, just don't have any time to work on it right now (stay at the company untill 2am everyday :( I was really exhausted when I got home and can not continue to work :( ).

Anyway, I updated the asset store with the current beta version yesterday and it will come shortly. I know that It's not perfect yet, there are bugs and other thing around but I will absolutely fix ...

I'm really sorry for the bad experience everyone got with Hierarchy2. The company's game will be released in a month or so and I'm really behind the schedule. I really hope to have time to continue working on Hierarchy2 after that. In the mean time, I will integrate the fixes suggested by @bac9-flcl in next beta2 update.

Sorry again, everyone and thanks a lot for your patience.

tosiabunio and Nezabyte like this.
  23. Saxi

Saxi

Right now the beta version throws lots of errors in the console log when deleting game object and other things making it more inconvenient than helpful. I bought it back in April, and there hasn't been a time it has been functional. I love the asset, it is a great idea, just having to wait 6 months after buying it to have something that work kind of sucks.

Victor_Kallai likes this.
  24. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

I had to uninstall the asset due to the errors and deal with the inferior built-in hierarchy, so greatly looking forward to the fixes. Bummer that work is keeping you busy, but it's understandable - thanks for the update!

25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Saxi, I'm terribly sorry for your bad experience. I've just submit the beta2 of Hierarchy2 to fix all the null-references I know, hope it will workable for you. In the mean time, I will push the updates more often for small fixes and features as I don't have enough time to make it perfect and submit once. Hope that everyone will understand and forgive me for this inconveniences.

Sorry again everyone and thanks a lot for commenting here so I still have a chance to fix.

26. MikeDPad

MikeDPad

I've just downloaded the update for Hierarchy and everything works apart from 2 errors when I stop a scene.

27. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello MikePad,

The Beta1 was missing some neccessary null checks so there are errors comming when an object is being destroyed. Another update Beta2 is on the way (already in queue from yesterday).

Thanks a lot

28. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Hello thienhaflash, thanks for the update, works really well :). I was wondering if you had a chance to work on my previous feature request regarding the static icon flags. Honestly, I would prefer them over the ability to 'lock' gameobjects. Please, let me know if you are still working on it, or at least point me in the right direction, and I'll do it myself. Keep up the good work.

PS: if it is not too complicated, add some flags to disable/enable children number, and 'lock' gameobjects.

29. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Victor,

It should be easy to do so. I will make some modifications and send back to you. An update with configurable options will be available later.

Thanks a lot.

30. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Wow, everything works awesome, thanks! But I'd like the icons for static flag to be more obvious, can you make something like an x for static and a 0 for non-static?

PS: Ctrl + Click does not work for static icons, can you please make it to work the same as the view icons

Edit: Actually it makes more sense to be the other way around. When a parent is static, and you click the icon, you also change it's children. But when you Ctrl + click it, you change only the parent, and the children remain the same.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  31. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It'd like to share one of the currently in progress features I've been working on, a settings panel for Hierarchy2.

As many people tell me that the most important thing they need in Hierarchy2 is the eye icon, others just take up much space and little or not usable at all.

From now on, you can adjust to show only what you want to see. Take back your clean Hierarchy :)

bac9-flcl and Victor_Kallai like this.
  32. Demigiant

Demigiant

Fantastic! :)

thienhaflash likes this.
  33. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

34. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Victor_Kallai : I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you are asking how hard is it to add a custom bookmark icon like the star then the answer is not very difficult.

Firstly you will need someway to store the information (aka, which one is bookmarked ?). The easiest route is adding a simple custom MonoBehaviour and tell Hierarchy2 to show a specific the icon whenever encountering that MonoBehaviour. This will more or less worse than the way Flipbookee's FavouriteTab is doing as it leaving an almost empty custom script for every bookmarked GameObject ... Currently I don't see how useful it is to adding a bookmark without a bookmark panel (where all the bookmarked items being show) so haven't thought of adding it. If I need both a bookmark icon and a bookmark panel, then I'd rather use FavouriteTab instead, there are many more features in it (it can also bookmark assets) ...

I did have some idea somewhat related to the bookmark one, it's the long time requested : custom icon for specific script. If things being going good, this feature will be added in the next 2nd update. With this update you will be able to define your custom icon for any script / component you have to show up, I believe this will greatly improve the usability of Hierarchy2 as you won't need to look around to find out the gameObject that contains the script you wanted, it's right there in the Hierarchy2.

If you have any other questions or ideas, just tell. I'm always with all my ears.

Thanks a lot.

p/s : I was almost finished the Reference things for Hierarchy2, I will upload it this weekend.

35. radimoto

radimoto

Testing Hierarchy2 1.3.8.3 in Unity 5 b17 runs into the following errors:

Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1165,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SearchFilter' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1167,28): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `ClearSearch' and no extension method `ClearSearch' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1168,28): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `referencingInstanceIDs' and no extension method `referencingInstanceIDs' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1189,28): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `ClearSearch' and no extension method `ClearSearch' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs(1190,28): error CS1061: Type `object' does not contain a definition for `referencingInstanceIDs' and no extension method `referencingInstanceIDs' of type `object' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

36. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I already submitted an update which is working in Unity4.6 & Unity5. It's currently in queue and should be available in several days.

If anyone wants to have early access to current version 1.3.9 please send me a message (with your invoice number if you haven't send it to me before).

Thanks a lot.

37. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

@thienhaflash Static Icons show only when I set isVerbose = true in Hierarchy2.cs. Is this the intended behavior, or it's a bug?

38. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Victor It's intended by now, but I'm planning to make it configurable (in the Reference panel), so you can choose what to shown on normal context or advanced context (as a reminder, you can toggle between them by click a GameObject, holding down shift and scroll down / up). You don't need to set the isVerbose variable in the script.

Thanks.

p/s : For anyone who doesn't know yet, Hierarchy2 v1.3.9 is already up. Please remove the old version completely and import this new one :)

Please Note that currently Hierarchy2 has some problem with Undo system, actually come from Unity side I believe. Unity 4.5+ always crash after lock a GameObject then Undo. So as a temporary fix I currently disable Undo for the lock. I did report a bug here (been more than half a month, no response yet). Hopefully it will be fixed soon (or if someone can point me to the right direction assuming I'm wrong on this)

39. Saxi

Saxi

It seems a few of the options don't seem to work. Child, Lock, Tag, and a few others seems to do nothing. I like the cleaned up design and especially the lines showing the children objects.

40. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Saxi : There are now two modes, compact and full, you can click on a gameObject to gain focus, then holding down shift and scroll the mouse wheel down to activate the full mode. Lock and some others will only visible in full mode.
    I know this is a bit misleading but I'm working on it. Version 1.3.10 will allow you to configure the icons showing for each mode so you can customize it the way you wanted.

41. Saxi

Saxi

I turned on full mode, and some things come up, but things like Lock and so on do not show. And full mode doesn't seem to stick, it seems to go back to compact mode.

42. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Actually the idea is put the most frequently used Icons into the compact / default mode and always start with that mode, you can quickly switch to full mode to adjust something and then going back (holding down shift and scroll the mouse wheel up)

In this new design (I'm trying to make the Hierarchy looks cleaner), I replace the unlocked icons with a dot so it might be difficult to know which one is the inactive lock and you need to remember the lock's position (on the right of the eye). I've got several feedback on this as well so maybe it's not exactly a good move. I will make it configurable for the next updates where you can choose to have the new looks (using dots for inactive icons) or the old one (use the actual icons)

btw, thanks a lot for your feedback, Saxi :) Please keep them coming :)

43. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

And finally you can change the icons being visible for each modes. Besides the default mode (D) I added 3 more customizable modes for you to tweak it the way you want.

You can quickly switch between those modes by the old Shift + MouseWheel

Personally I feel that 3 modes besides the default is just enough, first one for sometimes used, seconds one for rarely used, last one for all. But tell me if the number 3 is too limit to you, maybe you need 5 or 9 ?

Thanks a lot.
    btw, I also submit the new Hierarchy2 v1.3.10 to the asset store, may need several days to arrive.

44. Demigiant

Demigiant

Fantastic! And more than enough for me :)

thienhaflash likes this.
  45. Jaqal

Jaqal

For some reason I can't get the lock icons to show up. I have enabled in preferences and restarted as well. Anything I am missing maybe?

46. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Jaqal : Can you send me the screenshots of your settings so I can have a look ? Which version are you using ? Other information about Unity version , windows system would be helpful also !

47. Jaqal

Jaqal

Windows 7 Ultimate, Unity 4.6 Pro. I have every option checked to on in the preferences. Show locks is on as is everything else. Maybe I got a bad download.

48. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Which Hierarchy2 version are you in ? is it v1.3.9 ? Have you try to click on the hierarchy to gain focus, then hold down shift and scroll the mouse wheel down ? It might not have been in the full mode

49. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's been more than a week since I submit the new Hierarchy2 v.1.3.10 to the asset store, still in queue, yet it's understandable : New year is comming ...

I wish you and all your family a great new years of happiness ! Thanks a lot for supporting me so much along the way, I will try harder and harder to make Hierarchy2 worth every penny you guys ever spent !

Thanks a lot, again, everyone ! And HAPPY NEW YEAR !

50. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

What are the new stuffs coming in with 1.3.10?