Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hierarchy Plus - expands the hierarchy window with many essential features.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lokinwai, Sep 14, 2017.

1. lokinwai

lokinwai

Submitted new version to asset store. Fixed the issue of constantly redraw the hierarchy in play mode, and improved the performance of the drawer. Also add two new feature:
    • Disable in play mode for all function button.
    • Draw outline for all GameObject with same prefab parent.
    playmode_active.jpg prefab_group.jpg

2. lokinwai

lokinwai

1.8 is ready on asset store:
    • Set autoRepaintOnSceneChange to false in play mode, avoid constantly redraw in hierarchy window in play mode.
    • Added options to disable in play mode for all function button.
    • Prefab Button: Draw outline for all GameObject with same prefab parent.
    • Improved performance for the drawer of hierarchy window.

3. lokinwai

lokinwai

Updated to version 1.9:
    • Outline selected sprites. (Unity does not outline sprites)
    • Use alpha value as fill value of outline color.
    • Split overlapped outline.
    • Improved the speed of outline highlighter.
    • Add option to outline prefab group only when more than one row.
    • Fixed some bugs.
    Split overlapped outline:
    outline1.jpg
    Outline selected sprites:
    outline2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    BackwoodsGaming and HeadClot88 like this.
  4. lokinwai

lokinwai

More improvement on SceneView Highlighter:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  5. lokinwai

lokinwai

Hierarchy Plus is now 50% off for limited time.

Updated to version 1.9a:
    • Outline GameObject when mouse hover in SceneView.
    • Switch overlapped GameObject use mouse wheel.
    • Click to select switched GameObject.
    Introduction to the new SceneView Highlight and Pickup system:

6. lokinwai

lokinwai

Updated to version 1.9b
    • Added 10 custom color in customize popup.
    • Open customize popup will auto enable customize setting.
    • Added option to copy customize settings to selected GameObjects or children.
    • Improved SceneView Highlighter support multiple SceneView windows.

7. Arctic_Evolution

Arctic_Evolution

Are you checking this thread?

I checked out the update. I can multi change colour now. Via the normal way, selected and ticking copy. But not sure about custom color. Seems to have no effect. It always applies whatever is selected in the top menu.

Ok. These custom colours. Just seem to be hanging there in limbo in your popup screen. I have no idea how to apply them or their function, other than change each custom color. So please enlighten me, if I am missing something. Of course there already are presets for colors, so huh? Where is the functionality to apply these custom colors with easy user input? Ie. click click easy -- I have changed my object to the color I use regularly! Am I missing it?

I thought it would be good, to have those custom colours <APPLICATION> available via right click on the gameobject, but that's just me, makes sense to me. Of course, you have text and highlight, so you could have two forks in that menu. Would make it very easy.

but I cannot see where you have brought the custom color functionality into it, other than they are just there hanging out in the <customise> popup menu? Where is the function to apply that custom color to the game object via his input? Please tell me what I am missing here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. lokinwai

lokinwai

Because I think you can right click the color field or use the eyedropper to copy the color. If you feel this is not good, how about make a dropdown button to choose the custom colours like this:

2018-02-06 18-14-03.gif

9. Arctic_Evolution

Arctic_Evolution

I like your program for all it has helped, yet I am picky person. For me, I would improve with less clicking. I get sore fingers from click. I don't see the point with your system for custom colours. What is the point of it there? Their are already presets in the fields, for the same amount of mouse clicks.
    But if it was right click hierarchy or side menu left click, that is only a total of two clicks, One click side menu, navigate menu is zero clicks, final click. is choose recent used colours. Your way requires 3 or so more clicks. Click dropper colour, is just as easy to, click in the colour, and choose preset. Why so many clicks? I need hospital for my finger.

But your program requires so much painful clicking. Copy to. Tickboxes everywhere. Do you want to give me disease?

I get arthritis from clicking. I get many sore fingers from all the unity clicking. Less clicks is best.

I like program. Helps me great. But. It could be improved with less of all those checkboxes, and less clicking repeats.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  10. lokinwai

lokinwai

Added a quick customize dialog, select game object, press hotkey, choose custom color.

2018-02-12 18-26-42.gif

11. lokinwai

lokinwai

Updated to version 1.9c:
    • Add dropdown to select custom color in customize popup.
    • Add hotkey and quick customize dialog, Select multi game objects and press the hotkey to do quick customize.

12. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Hi, where can i configure some of the key bindings? i want to use ctrl but when i press it its selecting all of my objects in the hierarchy

13. lokinwai

lokinwai

Hello, which function you want to change the key?

14. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Specifically the ctrl (im not really sure what it does exactly in your asset), usually i will hold it and move object by increments, but with your asset in the project it would not allow me to do it, not even move the objects.

15. lokinwai

lokinwai

I tried to use ctrl in hierarchy and project browser with no problem, if you mean ctrl in scene view then change follow settings:

upload_2018-4-3_12-11-0.png

Vanidash-Studios likes this.
  16. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Thank you!, thats what i needed, not sure why i didnt see that the first time

17. lokinwai

lokinwai

Updated new version fixed error in v2018.1

18. cricketspike

cricketspike

Hello, I just bought the plugin and its working great so far. Is there an option where clicking on a reference in the inspector temporarily highlights the object in the Hierarchy like it does in the project tab when clicking on the reference to a prefab? I noticed that the hierarchy will at least make it visible but it doesn't stand out at all.

19. lokinwai

lokinwai

Sorry for slow reply, it is a bug of Hierarchy Plus. I have fixed it, please wait asset store update.

20. lokinwai

lokinwai

Updated new version fix error/crash in 2018 and .net 4

21. tathibana9999

tathibana9999

I will report an error.
    I am using "UNITY 2017.4.7 f 1 Personal (64 bit)".
    I am using "Hierarchy Plus 1.9 f".
    I added "New Layer" to "Sorting Layers".
    I moved it over "Default".
    I added "New Sprite" to "Hierarchy" and changed the item "Sorting Layer" to "New Layer".
    And I encountered an error.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

HierarchyPlus.Styles.GetCycleColor (Int32 index, Single fade) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Styles.cs:169)

HierarchyPlus.SortingLayerLabel.Draw (UnityEngine.GameObject go, Rect itemRect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Function/SortingLayerLabel.cs:66)

HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.DrawFunctionList () (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:456)

HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI (Int32 instanceID, Rect selectionRect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:315)

UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)

HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer:HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI(Int32, Rect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:320)

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

22. lokinwai

lokinwai

Thank you for your report!

I have fixed the bug, will update to asset store.

23. mkgame

mkgame

Awesome asset! This asset is best of all it's kind, there are just some performance issues, but even if you don't fix them, still the best one!

Just one thing, the log option is also awesome, but that I cannot use, because it kills the performance in my 130GB project. You update there to often I guess, I get about 1 Frame in each 10 second for log enabled.

Resizing the window also has some performace issues, not dangerous but maybe you could lower the update at resizing the window. Generally, do not make to much updates, and do not update, if nothing happens.

24. FireMutant

FireMutant

Hello,
    Hiearchy Plus v1.9g does not work with Unity 2018.3.0b1. I know the new beta just came out, but is there a plan to release an update soon?

Thanks!

25. lokinwai

lokinwai

I will try on Unity 2018.3.0b1 and fix it.

FireMutant likes this.
  26. FireMutant

FireMutant

Hi,
    Were you able to address the errors in 2018.3.0b# yet? I can't function without my Hierarchy Plus! :)

Thanks for your help!

27. lokinwai

lokinwai

Sorry for the late fix, I just submitted new version to asset store.

Also attached the modified file, replace the same file and try it.

Attached Files:

• file.zip
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    FireMutant likes this.
  28. FireMutant

FireMutant

lokinwai, thanks!

I appreciate this so much!

29. Romano

Romano

Edit: The error below only seemed to occur when I have 2 hierarchies open in the editor. But if i close one and reopen it it works again.

Hey there, I downloaded the new files from message #77 but I'm still getting this error after playing in 2018.2.4:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.IsItemDragSelectedOrSelected (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:465)
    (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExecutionScope,object) <IL 0x00025, 0x000fa>
    HierarchyPlus.TreeViewInject.IsItemSelected (UnityEngine.GameObject) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/TreeViewInject.cs:359)
    HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.DrawBackground () (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:746)
    HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI (int,UnityEngine.Rect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:305)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer:HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI(Int32, Rect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

and the topbar is gone all the time. Even after stopping it never recovers, the errors keep coming.

Also there's a line in TreeViewInject.cs:

using UnityEditor.Experimental.SceneManagement;

that needs changed to:

using UnityEditor.Experimental;
    using UnityEditor.SceneManagement;

Any thoughts on how I can fix the null reference exception?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  30. lokinwai

lokinwai

The update file is for 2018.3.x, you should not use it in 2018.2.x

31. SunSailor

SunSailor

Great, works with 2018.3 now - I know, it's a beta version, but due to the groundbreaking features, this version is a must for me. I still receive this exception:

Code (CSharp):
    2. MissingMethodException: UnityEditor.IconSelector.Init Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.
    3. System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] providedArgs, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.String[] namedParams) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    4. System.Type.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    5. HierarchyPlus.GameObjectIcon.ShowIconSelector (UnityEngine.Rect rect, UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Function/GameObjectIcon.cs:56)
    6. HierarchyPlus.GameObjectIcon.Draw (UnityEngine.GameObject go, UnityEngine.Rect itemRect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Function/GameObjectIcon.cs:45)
    7. HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.DrawFunctionList () (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:478)
    8. HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer.HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI (System.Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.Rect selectionRect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:315)
    9. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    10. HierarchyPlus.HierarchyDrawer:HierarchyWindowItemOnGUI(Int32, Rect) (at Assets/HierarchyPlus/Editor/Drawer.cs:321)
    11. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    This happens, when I click the select icon, reproducable for every GameObject.

32. cp-

cp-

do you think it'd be possible to have multiple hierarchy windows with different root objects?

i usually have the scene devided into parts which don't have much to do with another. and i'd like to have multiple hierarchy "views".

33. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Holding down CTRL in the scene outlines objects, is it possible to also have an option to show and highlight the item in the hierarchy. This is desirable compared to clicking on lots of items.

34. Larzarus

Larzarus

Hi there. Just trying your plug v1.9h in today and ran into a couple issues right off the bat.

1. Clicking on AddNote icon for a line item crashes Unity 2018.2.17f1 instantly (Win10)
    2. Log enabled (default) makes the editor unbearably slow. Literally ten seconds lag every time I click on anything. I love the idea of the log, but it's unusable as is.

Thanks
    Lars

35. AndreasO

AndreasO

Hi! Every time I load another scene file it modifies the "timestamp" attribute.

It's driving me crazy because it results in useless changes in my version control system.

diff.png

I'm using version 1.9h.

36. AndreasO

AndreasO

I can confirm the crash when clicking the add note button.

37. Plastegiraffe

Plastegiraffe

It works very slow in my computer (Ryzen 2700X , Geforce 1070) which makes it impossible to work with.

i thought it will help me speed up the workflow because i have to deal with about 6000 game objects at the same time but since this asset leads to massive lag on the editor it causes some problems for example when i try to rename gameobjects the lag causes to select different objects than the one i wanted.

i already disabled almost everything on the settings menu but it doesnt seem to work the way it should be.

38. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Update log for 1.9i ?

39. Szaruga

Szaruga

I had the same problem. turning it off helped:
    2019-03-27_22-05-01.png

40. Romano

Romano

I recently updated from Unity 2018 to 2019.1.6 and found that the blue bar in the hierarchy window doesn't display icons unless the hierarchy window is scrolled to the very top.
    Annotation 2019-06-11 140447.jpg
    It kind of scrolls back in:
    Annotation 2019-06-11 140850.jpg

I have a huge project with a lot of other assets in it, so this could be more of a conflict than a bug.

41. neshius108

neshius108

Hey @lokinwai, I am using your asset and I'm very happy with it!
    I just have a question: is there a way to add horizontal lines or a "separator" to nicely group objects in a scene?
    I know there are workarounds but I thought that since this asset focuses on improving the hierarchy, it perhaps could have it already?

Shodan0101 likes this.
  42. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

How do I use Hierarchy Base? I bought this asset almost exclusively because I thought it would give me the ability to NOT see every single object within a parent gameObject when selecting just one of its children. For example, I have an empty gameObject called Boxes which has 10 boxes inside it, I select one of it, the Boxes object expands to show EVERY box inside of it, while I only want to see the one I selected. Everything gameObject constantly expanding when selecting stuff on the scene is a real pain because then the Hierarchy view becomes huge and very difficult to transfer objects between each other.
    So, this is not what Hierarchy Base does? If not, then what does it do? And if it is, then how do I use it? And yes, I've read the manual, but it only mentions it , without explaining how to use.

43. seobyeongky

seobyeongky

If you use Unity 2019.3+, Append this code at TreeViewInject_ctor from TreeViewInject.cs ...!

var bf = BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Static;
    var initer = type.GetMethod("OnInitialize", bf);
    initer.Invoke(self, null);

copyleftcworld likes this.
  44. Szaruga

Szaruga

@seobyeongky
    Your code helped, but only partially: it fixed the positions of objects in the hierarchy, but not the tree lines, and the number of children. --->
    2020-02-06_20-03-42.png

45. Abelius

Abelius

Can someone confirm if this is (fully) working in 2019.3, please? I don't see replies from the dev since 2018...

46. seobyeongky

seobyeongky

@Szaruga

My workaround is adding lvl += 2; at the first line of GetHierarchyLevelRect method in Drawer.cs :)

copyleftcworld and Szaruga like this.
  47. Szaruga

Szaruga

Works, thanks. :)
    I like this asset because it has different colors of individual branches in hierarchy. Others probably don't.