Search Unity

Hierarchy needs improvement

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by SpacePrez, Jan 21, 2021.

1. SpacePrez

SpacePrez

There's several very small behavioral issues with prefabs which cost developers hours and hours of work which could be very easily improved in the editor.

For one, please give me a way to flag a parent object (or prefab) so that if I click on any children of the prefab in the scene view, it selects the parent prefab instead. Similar to the no-touch control.

This simple feature would literally save me hundreds of hours.

Another is if I select a whole lot of objects and drag them into a new parent object, automatically only move the top most parents. Right now if you shift select many items and some of them are the children of parent objects or prefabs, and then drag all of it into a new parent, it will REMOVE THE CHILDREN and set them as top-most leaf nodes in the new parent.

Unity at least warns you about this, but it doesn't give you any convenient way around it. You have to manually go through your entire selection and de-select any children. This can be insanely time consuming.

Thanks

yodda and Lukas_Kastern like this.
  2. yodda

yodda

Also, make the difference between a canvas prefab and a regular prefab like a small mark on the cube in the hirarcy to show that it is a UI prefab and not a game prefab. get me all the time.