Search Unity

HIDPI support missing?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bezerker, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Bezerker

Bezerker

Running this on Gentoo Linux on a Dell XPS 13 with the QHD display (3200x1800 13.3" display). Text is... mini. :)

It does not seem to respect most of the DPI settings set by xwindows, nor any scaling options outside of xrandr.

2. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

Hi,

Unity unfortunately behaves the same on all platforms on high DPI displays. It's being worked on (see 'Editor: Retina/HDPI Support' on https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap) -- but this issue is not specific to Linux.

Cheers,
    Na'Tosha

3. Joof

Joof

The focus seems to be specifically on OSX, which makes sense; however both windows and linux users have HiDPI displays and it is admittedly unusable when I can't read it :/

Thanks for the support Na'Tosha!

4. kklavs

kklavs

On OSX Unity seems to respect the DPI settings - the UI scale changes according to display scaling settings.

But on Linux Unity editor's GUI is very tiny on a 4k 27'' display. How does Unity on Linux determine the scaling? I am using X with a window manager on Arch Linux.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    ynuteminnof likes this.
  5. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

On unity OSX it sees everything as the resolution you choose to look like. If you launch a game with smaller scaling on rMBP 15" you can see that the highest resolution is 1920x1200. That's what OSX apis provide easily, not that unity respects settings with unique implementation in the editor itself

6. Aerilius

Aerilius

Am I just missing/overseeing a setting in preferences?
    Editor: Retina/HDPI Support is now listed for 5.4.0 released in July 2016, I am already using 5.5.3xf1Linux. As it not seem to enable scaling automatically, I would at least be happy if there is already a hidden switch, start parameter or config file.

7. kmare

kmare

@Aerilius there is no such "hidden" switch/option because there is no support at all for windows and linux. Only osx is supported when it comes to HiDPI (unfortunately). They're supposedly working on it, but we have no clue when it's supposed to be coming even as an experimental option for our platforms. Let's hope soon.

8. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

More than two years later, since then 4K has become ubiquitous amongst developers and we still don't have this on Windows and it's not even on the roadmap.

Can we get an official update on this please? The situation has become critical for some.

kmare likes this.
  9. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Yes, I'm still waiting on this. I basically can't use my laptop's monitor to work with Unity, makes it really hard, I have to plug in regular monitors and work from them.

kmare likes this.
  10. Dan-MacDonald

Dan-MacDonald

Yeah, laptops have 4k displays these days! +1 for hoping HD support happens soon.

kodenkm and kmare like this.
  11. JB9000

JB9000

According to the roadmap, the just-released 2018.2.0 supports HiDPI on Windows. Since it's not not specific to Linux, when will Linux get HiDPI support?

Thanks!

12. Tak

Tak

In 2018.2.0.

ma1onso likes this.
  13. JB9000

JB9000

ynuteminnof likes this.
  14. JB9000

JB9000

Just wanted to mention that HiDPI is working pretty well in 2018.2.3f1! Some things are still a bit small, like the hierarchy, but totally usable. Also, thanks for fixing the window-pane-resize bug!

15. turbanov

turbanov

How can I set the UI scaling expilicitly? I have two different monitors.

16. bricefr

bricefr

Is this working for you guys?

Linux (KDE Plasma 5.15.3) + Unity (2019.2.0a9) = no HiDPI support (3840x2160) everything is tiny, except the menu bar and window decoration.

Any command line parameters I can play with when starting Unity?

Thanks for your feedback.

17. kokizzu

kokizzu

i use
    GDK_SCALE=2 GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5 /path/to/Editor/Unity
    on command line and it works fine for 2018.3.0f2
    but since either upgrading unity hub to 2.0 or editor 2019.4.1f1 it no longer works, since its open the hub instead of the editor

upload_2019-5-30_22-53-31.png

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  18. kokizzu

kokizzu

nevermind, found a workaround to prevent opening unity hub (open the editor directly on 2019.x)

GDK_SCALE=2 GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5 /path/to/my/editor -projectpath /path/to/project

shtof and ynuteminnof like this.
  19. TimmyOl

TimmyOl

I cant get this to work since the frickin hub is opening instead of editor even if i open from installation folder, the splash screen is indeed bigger but unity hub closes it and when i open the editor from the hub its small again, so small i need a magnifying glass to see the text.

I have tried alot of things but i cant find how to open the editor without the hub which seems to reset the scaling i open with

20. TimmyOl

TimmyOl

Im using ubuntu 19 with kde plasma. Scaling 1.6 that i know dont work with unity editor and thats why i need the 2x scaling that works, but only in unity editor.