Search Unity

Hiding mechanics and survival horror essentials

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by bone9283, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bone9283

bone9283

Hey everyone I was thinking about making a survival horror game using unity, and I have been looking around on the internet for quite some time now but I couldn't find anything about a hiding mechanic! It also got me thinking about other survival horror aspects that really give players the creeps. Does anyone here know how to make a hiding mechanic in unity? Could unity make a Survival horror with aspects similar to The Evil Within or Outlast?

2. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Unity can be used to make any kind of game, certainly survival horror is in the list of "any kind of game."

Having a hiding mechanic requires having your enemies have sensory systems,memory, and searching behaviors, so what you're looking at is a robust AI model.

You're not going to find any sort of quick easy reference or tutorials for these kinds of things. There are many Game AI techniques out there, and learning them and how to apply them is something I've been studying for years.

A couple books worth checkout out which might help you on the way.

AI Game Engine Programming (2nd Edition) by Brian Schwab
    Game AI Pro edited by Steve Rabin

3. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Also, if you're interested in making a survival horror game with a hiding system. It would be smart to start small and build a few simple prototypes of your autonomus characters with your hiding system before you try to jump into full game development. If that's a core part of the system, you need to know how it works and whether it's fun FIRST.