Search Unity

Hide .meta files in Windows Expolorer

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ne0mega, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Anybody know if/how to do this? Copying and pasting files in Explorer is a pain. I always have to go to view - arrange by type...

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hiding meta files is very error prone, because Unity uses the GUID inside a meta file to reference assets. Means, if you move a file in Explorer without its meta file, your project is broken afterwards in the sense that all references to this asset are missing.

Therefore it's recommended to move, delete and copy assets inside of Unity, where it's handled correctly automatically.

Here is an explanation about meta files from Unity Technologies:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BehindtheScenes.html

If you're still interested in hiding meta files, you can change the "Version Control Mode" setting to "Hidden Metafiles" in the "Editor Settings" window:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-EditorManager.html

ThanksJupiter likes this.
  3. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

That didn't work. I still see meta files in Explorer. This option appears to be for source control apps.

I think I am more looking for a Windows trick, not a Unity trick.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just tested the "Hidden Meta Files" option in Unity 2017.1, 2018.1, 2018.2 and 2018.3.

Switching to "Hidden Meta Files" sets the "Hidden" file-attribute correctly in these versions and files disappear in Windows Explorer as expected.

However, if "View hidden files and folders" is active or "Hidden items" is unticked in Windows Explorer, that means even files with the "Hidden" attribute set are visible. In this case, you need to change the option as explained in the links.

threebeerhonesty likes this.