Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HID input devices?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by thelackey3326, Apr 13, 2016.

1. thelackey3326

thelackey3326

The question of supporting multiple keyboards and mice as separate input devices came up in the comment section of the blog post. For reference, it was the comment from Burton Posey. It made me wonder if there are plans to handle input devices directly using HID. You'd also have to handle PS/2 keyboard & mouse inputs (PCs and laptop docking stations still come with those ports built-in), but I believe that would allow Unity to distinguish between devices. Since HID is a standard, it should also be cross-platform.

Another advantage would be that custom devices that identify as HID joysticks/keyboards/mice would already be supported as separate devices. Out of the box, this would open Unity up to some of the more unusual hobbyist and commercial markets. Consider this: http://hackaday.com/2014/02/14/the-128-button-6-axis-17-slider-4-pov-hat-switch-joystick-controller/

Perhaps this has already been considered, but the reply to Burton's comment made me wonder.

2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unfortunately, the details of how/where/whether we handle device discovery and event gathering on individual platforms different from how we do it currently are still very sketchy. So far most work has focused on the high-level, managed side of things.

However, while in the end it will be mostly up to the individual platform owners to decide where and when it makes sense to revisit this, I can definitely say that as part of the low-level work for the new system, we will definitely revisit the desktop platforms as IMO they suffer from great inconsistency with each other as well as several other shortcomings.

Long story short, I think this is definitely something on the radar and we'll take a good long look when the low level starts taking shape. Sorry for not having anything more concrete at this point.

3. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

@Rene Damm I have 4 HID-compatible touchscreens on windows 10, would really love to be able to capture separate concurrent inputs from each. Especially when using multi display mode for windows.