Search Unity

Hi Unity, Need your kind opinion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shez561, Apr 15, 2020.

1. shez561

shez561

I'm Shez and 33 years old. It's quite a bit odd to take such opinion but I really want to know this from expert unity developers.
    I'm not a software engineer. I don't know nothing about scripting and game development. But 6 months ago I came to know about Unity from someone and cause I feel my picking and learning ability is quite good so I thought I want to learn Unity and C# as well.
    I started watching videos on Youtube. In deed I have also completed Unity "Create with Code" tutorial.
    And now I have learnt quite a lot from youtube and and Unity, I still feel that "Am I wasting my time?" because I watch different guys on Youtube like Brackeys, Dani and many more saying that they have spent decades on learning and reaching upto this level.
    So my request is I want a sincere opinion of all the expert developers on this forum whether I should continue learning and working on Unity & C# or I should just leave this and move forward.

Looking out to your prompt and advisable opinion.

Regards,
    Shez

2. Ony

Ony

The answer I would give totally depends on what your goal is. And really, a way to figure this out for yourself is to imagine we all said, "nah, don't do it." Would you still do it? There's your answer.

Ryiah, Socrates, Martin_H and 5 others like this.
  3. QFSW

QFSW

Nah, don't do it

Ony likes this.
  4. shez561

shez561

Its hard for me to decide whether I should continue because I don't know If 5 or 10 years from now, woud I be a professional developer?
    The goal is very clear that I want to be a developer and a good developer and taking your opinion is because you all know that enough time to become a professional developer.
    I loved learning it and feel lost sometime when I think I should have started learning this 10 years back.
    btw which sense shoud I take this line "nah, don't do it". you mean to say not to waste time with game development or you are trying to say not to leave learnig Unity.

5. shez561

shez561

Continue learning or leave ??

6. QFSW

QFSW

(I was joking from what @Ony said)

By Nah don't do it, we mean don't bother learning. If everyone tells you to give up and you still want to do it, then you should know what you really want to do

Ony and shez561 like this.
  7. DaDonik

DaDonik

One reason, why those guys in the videos say they have spent a decade or more learning, is that you can not ever stop learning. Technology advances so fast, all you can do is try to keep up.

It might only take a fraction of the time if you, for example, learn 'just' one language (C# in this case). A 'real' programmer might have anything from 3 to 10 languages under their belt.
    Does that impede your abilities to use Unity? Probably not.

Formal education has it's benefits. Without it i would have a harder time to know what to google, but that is not a showstopper at all.

You have not told us how much time you are able to put into your, for now, hobby.
    If you can spend a few hours every day, i do not see a problem with your age (34 myself...) or lack of former knowledge / formal education on the matter.

You seem to have the most important tool, a brain that is curious and wants to learn.

Ony, shez561 and QFSW like this.
  8. Arowx

Arowx

Sometimes life is about the journey and not the destination. If you enjoy travelling then start your journey if you just want the destination there are probably easier ways to get there...

9. shez561

shez561

Thank you for the motivation.
    I'm right now spending around 4-5 hours, and because every single day I learn something new which keeps me going and I feel excited to learn more.

10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If it's a hobby you do it so long as you enjoy doing it. What advice needs to be given there?

If you are goal oriented, you need to define a clear goal.

11. kdgalla

kdgalla

I've been learning game development since I was 13 years old. It's been several decades now and I've never been a professional game developer (probably never will, either). I don't care about that, though. I just do it for fun.

Like with any creative pursuit, you don't need to be a pro or an expert. Just do what you can and enjoy it.

If your goal is to be a professional, then that's a different question and you should clarify if that's case.

shez561 and Ony like this.
  12. ippdev

ippdev

I started learning Unity in early 2010. I was 53 years old. I had a solid background of 10 years programming ECMA/ActionScript and 15 years 3D, rigging, animation, physics sims and industrial design prior so it was easy transition. Was rocking it 3 hours after download and importing all kinds of content I had created for my own amusement. I showed my studio partner and we switched from Flash to Unity overnight. I am an all-in or not in at all kind of personality. It has put bacon and butter on the table for most of the intervening years.

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Because you're dealing with C# and not C++, 5 years is more than enough to become a professional developer (meaning employable), but there's matter of time investment.

Basically, I'm not sure why you would want to stop if you're enjoying what you're doing right now.

14. Ony

Ony

There it is right there. The magic words. :)

15. shez561

shez561

Thank you everybody for your kind advise and motivation. As @neginfinity said, I should do what I enjoy.
    Thanks again.

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I think it really depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want to be some kind of expert, or get a job for a AAA company as one of their developers, you have quite a road ahead. If you just want to get creative, and get some basic but functional games done for your own enjoyment or to share with others, you're probably closer than you think already.

Whether it is worth your time, is really up to you.

shez561 likes this.
  17. shez561

shez561

Thanks Joe :)