Search Unity

Hi-Impact

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by willgoldstone, Mar 28, 2007.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

im really interested in simple 2 or more player games and having taught unity for the past 5 months to my students, i've finally started making a game of my own in Unity.

I'd love to hear comments / criticisms / ideas about it, its just a simple single level at the moment.

www.willgoldstone.com/impact

Tanks very much

Will Goldstone

2. Sam Shiels

Sam Shiels

Wow thet's so much fun!

Nice work!

3. dan

dan

I like the way you did the control screen (press i for a fade in effect). That's a good idea. So good I might just have to steal it :)

4. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

5. pete

pete

pretty cool, will. runs great. i had a hard time playing both teams at once though ;) as for comments, and take em with a grain... i see them darn lights are still going on and off :) . maybe look at cursors instead of arrows or maybe smaller arrows? guess that's kind of personal pref. the arrow on the blue is pretty far off from the projectile path. red is less but still a little bit. so you have to aim off target a bit. maybe the muzzle flash should follow the projectile path (a bit quicker than currently is as well?). just some thoughts and it's a cool go so far!

6. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey pete,

yeah the lights are still wonky! will look at that soon, as for the aiming, my arrows are proving tricky as your perspective changes as you rotate the tank. When you say you use "cursors" what do you mean? I'm simply using thin 3D arrows right now..

thanks for the tips.. keep em comin folks!

cheers,

Will

7. pete

pete

i should probably say targeting recticle instead of cursor. like i said personal pref. i didn't see much in the way of perspective distortion when rotating though it was a brief play. it just looks out of alignment. are your arrows hand positioned as children? maybe you could get the bounding box extents of the tank/2 and position the arrows with a script on start. keeping them as children.

8. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

How would i make such a targeting reticule is what i meant, I assumed that was what you meant by cursor so we're kind of on the same page!

Yes the arrows are hand positioned, but not with enough care and attention currently! will work on em, cheers again

9. pete

pete

>>How would i make

dunno for this. a 2d texture on a plane(s)? 3d object? either. the arrows work fine though. guess their size in comparison to the tanks is what struck me. seems like they distract from the tanks visually. maybe just me...

10. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Yeah well they have an alpha so i can make them more transparent.. that and work on the positioning, will post back here once ive worked on it.. cheers for the tips.

11. Lallander

Lallander

This reminds me a lot of Combat on the atari. Maybe you could take a note from their playbook and add obstacles and different bullet types.

12. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Yeah im going for that arcade simplicity, theres a definite lack of that in some modern games. I really liked "Return Fire!" on pc, an early 3D windows 95 game i remember playing a fair few years ago.

But in answer to your response yeah im gona make the map more complex once ive got the mechanics down a little better, and have some different guns too.

13. drJones

drJones

cool, go retro! (reminds me of combat as well ; )

14. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Retro / arcade fun is the name of the game indeed.

For those of you watching this thread - just added new sounds, menus and tweaked controls slightly.

enjoy

www.willgoldstone.com/impact

15. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

have started working on AI for a single player version of this, comments, bug reports and general thoughts please!

www.willgoldstone.com/impactsp

cheers,

Will

16. pete

pete

ai's really good! it plays great! maybe some *fear* in the ai would make it interesting. it's aggressive. obstacles would help extend play i think too. still nice job!

17. cblarsen

cblarsen

Yup that bot shoots better than me. It beat me every time, until I managed to knock it entirely out of the arena, I am guessing it's velocity got too high for the collision detection. After that I had all the ammo to myself :D

18. Lallander

Lallander

Yes the AI is a very skilled player lol. I was able to get it down to about 80 health before getting nuked :(

19. pete

pete

@will, ha! now that's a fine example of a forum post coming across not as intended! i agree, the bot plays really well and whooped me too! but i meant the script was really good :D i think you could balance the gameplay by adding things like fear/obstacles but i like how the ai comes after you, grabs ammo etc. it's getting there!