Search Unity

Hi I'm New to Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Arkus0, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Arkus0

Arkus0

Hi everyone,

I'm a programmer that mainly uses C++, and lately I've been considering developing my own games, however doing it from scratch in C++ has proven to be a difficulty and going that route may prove futile if I ever intend to develop for consoles one day. So when I heard about Unity and how many mondern games use it including those with Nintendo I thought it would be worth giving it a try and learn, however the Nintendo Developer Portal kinda scared me with the NDA. I fully understand it, however I just want to learn how to make games in Unity even if I never really get around to develop and sell a final product, and while I could do that with Nintendo I don't want to restrict myself to one platform until I got a better understanding of how to use Unity and come up with a solid project.

So then I found out about Unity Personal and that seems to be the way to go for me, but I am still unsure. Right now I am not developing anything for a third party or a company, this is just me wanting to learn and mess around with some private projects and try them out on different platforms if I can. I have no intentions at the moment to sell or make any revenue from my work with Unity. Is it worth it?

I appreciate any advice or warnings you have to offer.

2. N_Murray

N_Murray

Since you're only planning on working on personal projects and unity is free I don't understand your hesitation? You've nothing to lose just jump in

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. Arkus0

Arkus0

I'm just feeling a bit cautious after reading up the rules on the Nintendo Developer Portal.

4. N_Murray

N_Murray

Well if like you said you're just planning on only working on personal projects and don't want to sell anything you've got nothing to worry about. When it comes to a point where you think you want to sell something then look into it some more however for now you should just jump in and have some fun making games.

5. Arkus0

Arkus0

Thanks for the advice ^^

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Not sure why this is a concern if you're right now not intending to develop for a Nintendo console. Nintendo is very selective about what projects they accept on their platform, so planning to develop for Nintendo shouldn't be something that is a short term goal anyway. Your early projects won't be nearly good enough most likely, because like anything developing in Unity requires practice to get good at it.

DaDonik likes this.