Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, I'm making a game about Heaven and hell

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jbb1979, Aug 6, 2019.

1. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I will learn coding, I'm sad - - I wanted to make pretty game and, run around in it, to-day

2. jbb1979

jbb1979

I was scared of coding because it looked complicated and, I wanted to make a game To-day ! ! I'm sorry - -

3. jbb1979

jbb1979

I wanted to start making 2.5D Isometric RPG To-day ! ! I'm sorry, for Long questions, I'm confused - -

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Please read the forum rules:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-developer-network-rules.151485/

Your constant commenting instead of editing your last comment is breaking the forum rules. Please stop, your basically just spamming at this stage. This is not a messenger application, this is a forum.

If you want to have a "chat" and constantly post/comment, please do it on a discord channel or similar chat room.

jbb1979 likes this.
  5. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, I understand . .

I read Unity was most friendly game engine on planet, and it was easiest to use . . You say it is but, it still requires coding . . I don't want to be bad - ass coding man, I just want to make games . . Coding is scary, I know very little, I only know what integer and, floating is from a tutorial, so it's very scary ! !

I'm am thank-ful for your answers and, I think I understand, coding is mandatory and, hard . .

I am confused because I thought game engines today were mostly drag-and-drop, very easy and, no problems . .

Your answers have given clarity, Thank you - -- $

6. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you for your answers,

Today I will watch official Unity tutorials and, Also prepare to learn Script coding, in C# ! !

I wanted simple ' Add components ' to make simple game but, I must learn a lot of stuff, before I can do that . .

I must watch tutorials and, also learn coding . . Thank you, it's been very scary, hearing this, Sorry it took so long, To under-stand, I had confusing information, about Unity - -

7. jbb1979

jbb1979

Can I say thank you, for your answers, they've been very helpful, I had many ideas in my head and, needed to learn they were wrong - Thank you - -

8. jbb1979

jbb1979

Sorry about many posts, I have OCD and, PTSD, from war - --

I look forward to learning coding but, am also scared . . I will watch official tutorials and, read this thread to also see tutorials extra you recommend . . I Will try ! ! $

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Please read the through the learn section, go through the tutorial, try things and then ask specific questions. For general chit-chat try the official unity discord.

Game development is difficult, time-consuming and requires time and effort. Yes, Unity is easier than starting from scratch or some other engines/tools/libraries, but "easier" doesn't mean "easy". Slow down, read through docs/learn section. It is a long journey, don't expect to "get it" in a few minutes or a day.

MadeFromPolygons and jbb1979 like this.
  10. jbb1979

jbb1979

I am Grateful for your answers, I Finally understand ! ! $ $

11. jbb1979

jbb1979

I'm so tired, from under-standing your posts, It's still confusing . .

Lesson -

1. Expect to learn coding, in C# ( I thought that was C++ ?
    2. Follow the tutorials
    3. Don't start with graphics, focus on making the coding, because that's what matters - -

I didn't want to hear what you say, because coding is scary and, I mis-judged Unity, I thought it was super - super easy And, Cool - - But, it's very advanced and, complicated, it needs coding skills but, one can make better games, Thank you . . $

I have seen Heretic video and, I Like Unity Graphics over Unreal - - And, it's a very good engine but, sadly not as Easy as I had hoped Or, Wanted - - I will follow the tutorials even, if coding is very strange, to me - -

I'm so happy I found this place, I Hope we can talk about games and, Stuff - -

BrandStone likes this.
  12. Fraktalia

Fraktalia

Just for you to know, the first year I learned coding in university by implementing stuff in a simple console application. No engine, no visual scripting, just plain visual studio or any other decent text editror.

Learning takes a lot of time unless you are gifted with a profoundly high iq which I am not (thanks stupid god for giving me S***ty DNA). I could not figure out the basics of coding 10 years earlier on my own and only a excellent teacher explained it in a way so I understand it. If you want to create your own worlds, find a really good teacher first (either through college or networks)... there is a reason why government spends millions of money on the education system (not speaking of USA)

MadeFromPolygons and jbb1979 like this.
  13. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, for all your answers, I am smarter, From it - -

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  14. kdgalla

kdgalla

Not even GameMaker, actually. It relies heavily on a Javascript-style scripting language. While it does have a visual scripting system, most of the "power-users" recommend focusing on scripting for all but the very simplest of projects.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. Vryken

Vryken

I really think you're over-complicating and misunderstanding this whole situation.

A) "User-friendly" does not mean "very basic and requires no knowledge to work with". It means the application is easy for users to learn, navigate, and find the features they're looking for.

B) You keep mentioning this...
    ...And I have no idea what you mean by it. Video games are software; software development requires programming. I'm not sure why you seem to think video games would be any different.
    Unreal's blueprints are no different either. When you drag-and-drop nodes to create some functionality, Unreal creates a C++ script based on the blueprint behind the scenes.

C) Yes, Unity uses C# as its scripting language. C# is not C++. These are two different programming languages.

D) Game development requires a wide variety of different skill sets. You have your programmers, artists, music & sound effects composers, writers, modelers, animators, lighting experts, and probably a bunch more types of people I can't name off the top of my head.

You will need to know how to do at least half of these things if you want to make a game by yourself, but if you are really this reluctant to learn programming (or anything else) as you keep mentioning, then that's fine.
    You don't need to learn how to do everything, and you shouldn't be expected to be an expert at everything. But if there is a skill you need and don't want to learn yourself, you will need to commission someone else to fill the gap.

I'm no visual artist, for instance, but I do still try to create my own graphics because I'll never get better if I never try to. However, I recognize my limits, and if I want something that looks professional, I would hire a professional.

I'll leave you off with this:
    Game development has become easier over the years, with free & powerful engines like Unity and Unreal being available, but game development itself is not easy. If you're willing to learn and discipline yourself though, then you can certainly make it easier on yourself.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  16. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I had expectations of Unity being totally point-and-click, but I was wrong . . I have been doing a tutorial called John Lemon, because it looked easy and, wasn't too long . . It has coding in it but, this time I will not go away, I will learn it . .

Thank you for your patience, You're kind - -

I clicked in official Unity tutorials and, found it, I also want to do the white ball rolling on plane but, I can't locate the link . .

17. jbb1979

jbb1979

When I see people writing code, it's VERY confusing, they write names I've never seen before, follow with weird parathesis or brackets and, semi-colon Weird stuff - - It feels Like a Foreign language but, Now I will learn it, I've Seen heretic game trailer and, Unity is Graphics style I want, but first Game is only top-down Isometric Diablo-esque game, I Hope - -

Again, thank you, I was Dumb - -

18. jbb1979

jbb1979

Can I ask a dumb question, what game are you working on ? ? Is it Good - - ?? I Like to see Your stuff - -

ps. I have Autism And, OCD, so I'm Not good at Writing every-thing in One place Or, Area - -

19. Valjuin

Valjuin

Unity’s RPG Creator Kit is a code-free, drag and drop project.

Find the tutorial on Unity Learn

There is a link to the assets on the tutorial page.

So as to not to confuse you, “code-free” does not mean that code is not involved. It means that, for this project, the coding has already been done for you.

jbb1979 likes this.
  20. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, thank you for your answers, I look forward to the Unity experience ! ! I have so many ideas for games but, I love games I Could watch games all day, Please help - -

I will try to listen to advice, I under-stand now, even if Unity is user-friendly, it still requires coding and, that's okay, I learnt some coding 10 - 15 Years ago but, I Must get better . .. I had wrong notion, Unity didn't need coding and, I Was wrong - -

I Love games and, if Unity can make Heretic game demo, it's as good as any other game engine, There is and, I like the graphics, Unreal looks very ' square ' And, Boring - - Any-way, That's good, I don't care - -

I watched Unity ' 3D Game kit ' as first tutorials and, I got 45 minutes into it and, I understand it's really nice, but still it's hard - - I just want to make my own fbx files in Blender, add textures and, put them in my game, I Can't wait - -

I should say I have mild OCD and, autism Spectrum, I also have perfectionism but, I try . .. I got very bad PTSD from illegal wars and, I was hurting . . But, God saved me, I mean, I prayed a whole lot and, it helped, and I wanted to make game About my experiences . .

I'm a former engineer in chemistry and Bio-technology but, I got sick and, now I got plenty of time but, no things to do . . That was 20 years ago, I just became 40 and, my OCD is still with me, which started 20 years ago . .

I'm sorry if I make dumb posts, I just love video-games and, am so happy for this place . . Please, tell me all your video game dreams and, let's make History to-gether ! ! :)

21. jbb1979

jbb1979

I was thinking of making some simple 1 x 1 m textures and, putting them in my, I was making 1 x 1 m plane in Blender, adding a top textures and, I would drag these into game world to make level . . I've made these nice textures in Quixel, only free textures and, I have volcanic floor of, Hell . . I want to share images but, I can't upload directly I think . . I think it's called a modular kit, then I want to add walls and, columns, also by dragging in 1 x 1 m assets and, ' snapping them ' onto my nice floor - - I know coding comes first, but I find having some nice graphics to look at motivates me, to learn the code and, Hard stuff - -

Does any-body else here use Quixel ? ?

I find it motivating to look at beautiful game but, to-day, I will force my-self to watch tutorials and, learn coding, for 2 hours may-be 2 ½ . . I would like to know a place, where I can look up commands, so if in tutorial they make odd line, of code, I can look it up and see what their weird code does, in good text-sources . .

Basically, I want to make some-thing like Diablo 1 Modular kit and, make it like that . . But, all is done in 3D like Diablo 3, if that makes sense . .

I hope you can help, I'm in Love with games - -

Here's a vampire, I made > >

Attached Files:

22. jbb1979

jbb1979

lol lol I Make demon design - - De 3 805465r68.jpg

23. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, I wanted to start making my game, by putting my own assets in game right now and, I know I must do coding but, it's also nice to get a visual response and, seeing ones game coming together, in graphics - - But, I know I must a. Learn coding and, b. also watch many tutorials - - Coding, is scary - -

I have many ideas for games, is there place I can talk about them, may-be some one would like to help or, I could help other make their game - - I Want, to Help . . I hope, That's o-kay - --

24. jbb1979

jbb1979

Hi,

I just made a plane in Blender, exported as fbx and, drag and drop into Unity and, it had UV maps also . . So, I take the textures from Quixel and, make 3 simple floor tiles, in Unity - -

I'm happy, to-day I will watch tutorials and, not be afraid of coding, as it is normal, to code, I learned that - -

Hell Floor 03444.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  25. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity is very user friendly, but user friendly does not mean it is easy. A piano is extremely user friendly, anyone can walk up to one a bang a few notes out. It is plainly obvious what needs to happen on a piano for music to be made. You will have to spend several months focused on learning the piano before anything you produce even remotely resembles music though, and no one other than your parents will choose to subject themselves to your piano music until you have at least half a decade of practice invested. Unity is not really any different than the piano.

Yes it is user friendly, but Unity is a professional level tool set for making games, and in order to master it you will need the 10,000 hours of practice like mastering anything else.

26. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you for your answer, I under-stand, I played a little piano my-self and, it has taken a long time, to just play ordinary songs and, melodies - -

The bad thing about Unity, it gives you so much power, like a piano but, using that Power takes practice . ..

Joe-Censored likes this.