Search Unity

Hi, I'm making a game about Heaven and hell

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jbb1979, Aug 6, 2019.

1. jbb1979

jbb1979

Hello,

I would like to do a 2.5D Diablo 3-clone Type game, about Heaven, Angels and, demons . . But, more like an RPG-game, with puzzles and, deep characters, not just simple Diablo - stuff, closer Divinity orginal sins Games . .

I need help on starting such a project, tutorials, etc etc

I would like to use official tutorials, if possible but, I also view personal user videos, it's just nice to know the experts are behind it, so fewer bugs . . But still, I enjoy .. I use blender 2.8 and, Love computer games . .

Joe-Censored likes this.
  2. kdgalla

kdgalla

jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  3. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

Blows my mind when someone says they are just starting and they want to create an RPG or something huge. Not to be mean but why don't you start with like move the ball around a maze in a set time limit or something.

4. jbb1979

jbb1979

Well, that's what I was thinking, I would like to start by making a 2.5D Isometric game, with like a kit of textures and, simple buildings I can swap in, but this might be the wrong place, on-line - - I mean, is this right forum ?

5. jbb1979

jbb1979

I would be happy to have a square, on a flat surface, I look on in 2.5D isometric and, can move with keys or, even game-pad - -- <3 $

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its not the graphics that are the problem, its that programming a game that is as complex in architecture (code architecture) as a RPG as a first game is almost destined to fail. If you really want an RPG, start with this:

https://learn.unity.com/project/ruby-s-2d-rpg

But your better off starting with the roll a ball tutorial first

Joe-Censored and jbb1979 like this.
  7. jbb1979

jbb1979

I have a really dumb question, unity looks like it's point and click, just mouse use but, I saw a video and, it said about programming . . At the risk of sounding dumb, will I have to do programming to make a game, in Unity - -?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. BrandStone

BrandStone

A game is a composition of art and functionality. Yes, you need programming for the functionality part.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. Fraktalia

Fraktalia

I am the bubble-burster-man:
    Even if you manage to finish your game after x years of work, it probably will fail and since you dont seem to have any experience in either coding or art, you first have to learn it as you compete against people with 20 years+ of professional experience in game development. We millenials are simply born in a very bad and ugly time where everyone is smarter than you for some godly reason.

Just to get a glimpse about what the reality will be: I work with Unity for about 4 years now and released one game on Steam which sold for 140$ and took 2 years to develop with a four man team. Then Steam account got hacked and game removed...

Now I re-released it on Itch.io where you can download my game: https://lostinpixels.itch.io/endless-dream

A RPG is very content heavy and your scope probably is somewhere between 2-4 years development with a 10 man team. Then it is unsure if you can market that thing.

xVergilx and jbb1979 like this.
  10. BrandStone

BrandStone

I also started doing an RPG in unity a few years ago. So I can give you some good hints from experience.

1. Planning
    - Make a list of all entities that will exist in your game. Ex: NPCs, weapons, gear, etc.
    - List how those entities can interact with each other. Ex: Weapon type x does damage to NPC type y. You can get as creative as you want here: Weapon X doesn’t do any damage in hell for example.
    - When you have a very good idea of what you want to achieve you can proceed to prototyping.

2. Prototyping

- Create OOP classes that resemble the relationships you wrote down during planning. Make heavy use of programming patterns like inheritance and composition.

- Avoid using graphics at this stage as it’s all about functionality. In fact you could simply use text. Think about your code as your game and the graphics as a separate layer/plugin that you can hook up later on.

- You could use cubes, spheres or other primitives when you have a solid functionality.

This stage is the basis of your project and you should prototype until you feel that it’s fun. Repeat until it feels right

3. Polish & marketing
    4. Ship

Good luck!

jbb1979 likes this.
  11. jbb1979

jbb1979

Uhmm, I'm not good a coding, can I make game by just adding so-callled components, to the objects, so no coding . .. I read Unity was super user-friendly - -

Sorry to hear about your game, can I watch a little youtube video of it ? ! x

I don't care about succes, I just want to make a game that feels important to me, about Hell, Purgatory and, hell And, people caught in a conflict, between them - -

12. jbb1979

jbb1979

I was hoping to make a proto-type, where I have a box on, a plane and, I can steer it like with game-pad PC controller, like in Diablo games Or, Divinity Orignal sin 2 ! ! <3

Can't I just add some simple components, and have that working in 2 - 3 minutes ( may-be 4 X X

13. BrandStone

BrandStone

You do have some paid plugins where you can do visual scripting. Look up bolt for example. There’s also an asset called rpg maker.

The thing is: these assets will do the work for you but when you will want something custom (a really nice idea that nobody else did) you will have to code it yourself.

I think you have two options: either play with assets (browse the asset store, you will be surprised of how many there are that could help).

Or...

Learn to code it yourself.

Btw, an RPG will take years to code.

jbb1979 likes this.
  14. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, I've got spare - time . . But, you're saying it will not be best place to start . .

Uhm, I'd just like to be able to have 2.5D isometric game, like in Diablo 3 and, simple combat and, some NPC's . . Do I need to I mean, can't I just add some pre-installed components to a few objects and, boom it's works - -

15. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, Thanks, I don't know game - making . ..

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

To be honest, you may have better luck with Unreal. It has blueprint, so you don't need to worry about programming.
    Or just play and learn basics programming fun way, in scratch for example;)
    https://scratch.mit.edu/

JoeStrout and jbb1979 like this.
  17. jbb1979

jbb1979

I'm looking in Official Unity manual, 2019.2 Version . . I want to find ' Movement from Keyboard press ' component but, it's hard to find - - I Hope you can help, I'm bad At games - -

18. jbb1979

jbb1979

Ok, thanks I think games are cool, I Want to Make one

19. BrandStone

BrandStone

jbb1979 likes this.
  20. Fraktalia

Fraktalia

Here is the trailer video:

It was developed as part of the University curriculum so I had to develop it anyway. The real value of the game was not money because the learnings during development are more worth. Just speaking about RPG.

My game has RPG elements in it and I was the only Coder in the Team. No Unity Assets were used(was forbidden in university) so everything was coded by myself, art was developed by art team members. Here is a list what had to be coded which you probably will need in your RPG. The game used Dark Souls as orientation as it is one of the few games I truely love:
    • Inventory and Item System
    • Save System with Save Points
    • Enemies
    • Bosses
    • NPC
    • Dialogues with Localisation (Huge Pain, Typo Hell)
    • Level Design: Switches, Gates, Basic Interaction Elements. How do you create levels? I prefer holding STRG + Leftclick to Paint the world in editor
    • Steam Archievements were also Implemented (torture incoming)
    • UI: Options for Audio/Video/General Settings.
    • Main Menu.
    • Playtesting
    See, there are so many things required in order to create a game which may not even sell. The points now contain the technical requirements.

It sounds difficult but the true hell starts when people in your team do not like each other and even start to sue each other over very trivial things. However never forget that the real value of failed games are the possible job opportunities as you then have a published game in you CV.

jbb1979 likes this.
  21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Youll have to accept that you will need to learn some programming to make a game.

If you really dont want to you can look at gamemaker which I believe has some drag and drop functionality, but your not going to be doing yourself any favours as you will still end up learning the same theory, just implementing it slightly different.

At least by learning programming alongside you gain a skill that can make you highly employable and is usable in a ton of fields.

JoeStrout, Vryken and jbb1979 like this.
  22. jbb1979

jbb1979

I'm confused, many say Unity is game engine made for game - makers, it's very user - friendly . . But, I want to create a cube that is controlled by A-W-S-D key and, I have to learn to write weird C++ Code, to even do that . .?

23. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, I need to know basic programming Wow - - this is Tough - -

What games have you made, do you have any examples, the Endless dream was Quite amazing ! !

24. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

User friendly does not mean no programming, I am not sure why you think that. Also no, its c# not c++.

Look why not try and follow some tutorials first to see what is involved, rather than asking questions in 3 seperate forum sections when everyone is telling you to try some tutorials.

If you dont try you wont know, start with the roll a ball tutorial, if you cant finish that then chances are you wont be able to make this game. If you get on okay with that, then try the rpg tutorial I sent you a link for above.

If you cannot get to grips with that then unity is likely not for you I am afraid, and you would be better off starting with something aimed at less experienced/younger users such as gamemaker or scratch, both of which have been suggested above already.

25. jbb1979

jbb1979

I've been using Quixel Texture program, to create volcanic Hell - scape, I want to create a game about a monk that goes to Hell and, Meets the Devil - -

Can You help Me, I Don't want to Code C++ I want to Make games, but every single tutorial it goes into weird coding and, I Am lost - -

26. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, I have a lot of experience in Blender and, can make Good 3D models but, I just wanted to drag and drop and, add components, but one has to program every-thing, even game-pad controls - -

This is mind-bogglingly frustrating, I have a nice idea for my game but, the game won't be make, in engine - -

27. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I just said what to do. Lots of people have. Instead of liking everyones comments and then ignoring what they are saying, why not read what we are saying and try to actually do something with that information?

Try a tutorial. If you cant do this when you are being hand-held by a tutorial, you will struggle with a big RPG game.

I already said its not c++ its c#. I also said there is no way to do this without programming, and nowhere does unity claim it is a drag and drop engine. If thats what you want, you need to find something other than unity.

If you boil it down, its 2 options:

1. Learn unity, start with tutorials
    2. Use something else

Please stop the tirade of comment after comment without actually responding to or seemingly reading peoples comments, otherwise what was the point of coming here to ask this in 3 places in the first place?

JoeStrout, Vryken and jbb1979 like this.
  28. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I am reading your posts but, I have a very simple question . .

Please help, I want to add a component to a Box on a plane, so it moves when I press the arrow - keys, or WSAD . .

What is that component called ? ?

29. jbb1979

jbb1979

If answer is, it's not there, you need to code it, I Can't guess code - language without documentation, I need some-where to learn what words the Engine uses and, I'm Confused - -

30. jbb1979

jbb1979

My mind is blown, this is a game engine but, it has not normal support for using buttons to move the character, as standard feature . . I'm So confused - --

31. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

What, where are you getting this info?

There is no component that does that. I just told you this is not a drag and drop engine. If you want to do that, you need to write your own component in C#. Which the tutorials I suggested, and others suggested will teach you.

For the last time:

This is not a drag and drop engine. You will need to code things. Stop trying to use it as a drag and drop engine, no one has told you it is, and everyone is telling you it is not.

jbb1979 likes this.
  32. Antypodish

Antypodish

Matter is simple, accept it and like it that you need learn programming, or drop it. It will save you on frustration, if that is not for you.

Focus instead on stuff, you like.
    Game making is not one of them. It is journey through hell. Not heaven.

33. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its as simple as this:

Games are hard to make otherwise they wouldnt cost so much money and take so much time and resources to make.

People go to university to study this, or train on their own for years at a time.

You cannot drag and drop your way into a decent RPG, not with unity and to be honest you will struggle in any engine to do that 100% without code, even game maker and unreal. All require coding at some point.

If you really hate coding, look elsewhere. I wont suggest for 3rd / 4th time as I have above, if you want to know what other engines then READ peoples comments above.

Even in unreal or any engine you will need to create your own code, otherwise all games would feel the same. Yes keyboard movement is supported in the engine, if you would take the time to learn it.

The only thing confusing is where you got the info that unity is drag and drop, there isnt any info anywhere that says that and thats why you are mistaken and confused. Also, games are difficult to make and that is probably what is confusing you, as it seems you assumed they would be easy to make.

jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  34. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I saw a video by Quixel comparing Unreal and Unity and, they said Unity was more user-friendly and, I learn some-where it was made not by a company for a specific game and, then release as game engine but, was originally made to be only a game engine, sort of . . So, the other engines have poor documentation . . But, Unity is most user-friendly, I Think ? Am I correct

Thank you for your answers, I thought this was easiest game engine but, one needs coding skills, in not C++ but, in c# ? ? Uhm, I did programming a while ago, this is very strange, I want to make a game, not write code to make the joy-stick work, I thought very common things, like inputs would be made into components, but this hasn't been done, either ?

35. jbb1979

jbb1979

I've been watching tutorials to learn how to control the character, a box, but they all start coding, and no one explains any-thing - - Where do they learn the words and, what do they mean ? ?

36. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its not that these things havent been made before, but if you started to learn using the tutorials provided you would see that each bit of code is very specific to the game. Taking someone elses keyboard script for your own game would just create bugs and headaches. You need to write certain things yourself, and yes basic things like input, controlling user interface etc is one of them.

Yes unity is the most user friendly of them. But if programming is not something you want, then yes you will need to use another engine. Very few out there have 0 programming, and those that do make terrible games to be honest.

So choices are:

1. suck it up, learn using tutorials like we all did, and make a decent game with unity
    2. abandon programming, use a easy engine like scratch, and create something that is much much lower quality and much much simpler than what you have in mind.

jbb1979 likes this.
  37. jbb1979

jbb1979

What good is a tutorial if I don't know what I'm doing . .

Can't I just add a component, which allows me easy to set-up keyboard controller . . I've watched 3 tutorials on my other computer and, they all start coding and, doing things I don't under-stand, at all - - :(

38. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

https://learn.unity.com/project/beginner-gameplay-scripting

That will teach you basis scripting so you understand the "words". But yes, itll take a while.

jbb1979 likes this.
  39. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I think I understand, I had some wrong impressions, about this Unity Game programming . . It takes a lot of work and, I just want to start putting character in game and, animating them . . But, I need to learn coding, to even make the camera follow main character - -

40. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you so Much, Your answers are awesome ! ! <3

41. Antypodish

Antypodish

JoeStrout and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  42. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Follow that beginner scripting link I just sent, go through every video on that link, and by end you will understand enough to follow the tutorials you were on before.

Good luck :) We all start where you are so dont feel disheartened if it is difficult, just keep trying and you will get there.

Its hard but also very rewarding :)

jbb1979 likes this.
  43. jbb1979

jbb1979

This is so sad, I had made Demon, for Game, it's in Blender and almost finished, I have done Retopology and, I Wanted to Drag into Game, To-day - -

44. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I am smarter - -

45. BrandStone

BrandStone

This is a typical mistake when you start. I don’t want to discourage you by any means. But you should do art only after you make the actual game mechanics.

Go on and study what @GameDevCouple_I gave to you and take it slow.

jbb1979 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  46. jbb1979

jbb1979

Oh man, I hear Unreal has drag and drop programming but, Unity looks nice, Prettier games, It Feels sad - -

I know a little coding, but from many years ago, I just want to start adding my level and, painting it, with Quixel Textures and, add my Demon 3-D Man

47. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, Unreal has all code put into ' components ' but, Unity has not this feature, many things must be coded personally - - Ohh, I'm So sad, My Game was Ready to be made, Right now

48. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Then buy this: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/visual-scripting/playmaker-368

That will give you visual programming in unity. Its not drag and drop by any means, youll still have to learn programming. Same for unreal, its not drag and drop its just visual. The only "drag and drop" engine is game maker, and that as I said many times now isnt going to fix all your problems and will still require some written code.

49. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Okay you know what?

Im done. I am not going to endlessly tell you the same info again and again for you to just ignore and keep ranting about a ton of wrong info. No unreal doesnt have all the code put into components it has blueprints which was suggested above already by multiple people myself included.

Good luck to you, I tried to end things on a positive note earlier but you really seem to want to ignore everything despite many people here taking time to answer your questions. I have better things to do with my time than act as your consultant only to have you ignore all my advice.

Stop talking and try something.

Vryken, Antypodish and jbb1979 like this.
  50. jbb1979

jbb1979

I wanted to avoid Unreal because it has bad graphics ( bad anti-aliasing I think, no Smooth looks And, Unity Games like Fire-fighter in Forest game, Was So nice - - Out-post Or, I Think - - I Like Unity looks - -

I Will take tutorials, I am doing 3D Game kit tutorial, I Really like it, but Want to create my own world, so I began blank project, but I Don't know Blank project stuff - -