Search Unity

Hi Friends Help me :)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by iDontQuit, Sep 24, 2015.

1. iDontQuit

iDontQuit

I don't want anybody to steal my concepts and ideas but I still need to show it around. What should I do?

2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

No one wants to steal your ideas. Everyone has their own ideas. You'll have enough trouble getting people to read your ideas in the first place let alone having them steal your ideas.

ideas are about 1% of game development. You need the commitment, vision and drive to turn an idea into a finished game. No one is going to have that drive more than you for your own idea so you are the most likely person to finish the game.

If you do find people take particularly dedicated interest in your ideas don't worry about them stealing it, think of it as a good early validation that you have a good idea and that you can develop an awesome game out of it that others will enjoy.

Another way to look at it is this:

If I were someone that had no ideas and I wanted to steal an idea to make money, I wouldn't steal an untested, concept from a forum. I'd go to the app store or Steam and look down the top grossing or top downloaded games list and pick the first one I thought I could make a relatively good clone of. I'd do this because those games are already out and have a proven audience and have proven they can be successful. As good as your ideas may be, they are unproven.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Kiwasi likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

First game?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's his first.

@OP: hint: read the manual, use http://unity3d.com/learn and don't make nonsense threads like this.

6. A_Sloane

A_Sloane

I give here a general answer as it could be useful for anybody.

In IP law, idea cannot be protected per itself. Basically, you have copyright (i.e: the script of Blade Runner with all text, dialogues etc ...), brand (Mario is a brandname) and patent (game controller design for a console) to protect your work, more specifically the content of your work, not just an idea.

If you want to discuss ideas and project with someone and you want to limit the risk of having your project rip-off, you can considers the person signing a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), it's the document which provides that the person cannot reveal any information related to your project. It case of breach of contract, you can sue for damages.

But as everyone said : ideas are just ideas. You want to do a platformer game like Mario, but with different concept ? See Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank. Call of Duty Modern Warfare ? Not so different that the original Wolfenstein's Castle.

In the end, content matters. The idea is not great in itself, it this its execution that does the work.