Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi-DPI in Windows and why it hasn't happened yet (Cool story)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aram-Azhari, Dec 21, 2017.

?

What type of monitor do you use Unity with?

1. 1080p (23" to 27")

2. 1440p (23" to 27")

3. 4K (25" to 32")

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

Hello,

I'm writing this to you and I feel that it has been too long since any attention was brought to this, and no actions have been taken on, ever.

The issue is defined as:
    - 4K/High Resolution monitors make the text smaller than what is comfortable for the eye on Windows.
    - Unity texts also appear smaller as the result of high resolution per inch.

Workaround for every other windows application is either of these cases:
    - The text is scaled up automatically and is seamless just like the native Windows OS texts.
    - The compatibility settings can be changed for a particular software to make the text appear pixelated but at least enlarged so it's easily readable.

Now how about Unity.exe:
    - The first workaround obviously doesn't work for Unity, even in the latest 2017.3.
    - The second workaround makes Unity's text pixelated but at least enlarged and readable but with a caveat. The render views also appear pixelated. They appear as if you had a 500x400 image and enlarged it by using nearest-neighbor algorithm to a 1000x800. This makes even the best scene view/game view look like crap.

As a comparison:

(normal) UnitySmallFonts.png
    (pixelated) UnityLargeFontsButPixelatedSceneView.png

Comparison.png

Now, just to be extra safe I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say I may be doing something wrong and it works for everyone else. If so, I apologize and I appreciate if you share your settings that works the way it should.

If not,

Dear Unity Team,
    Please solve this problem. It is almost 2018 and there are more and more people who are purchasing 4K/High Res monitors. At least the render views, I am hoping that could be a quick fix. Getting high dpi text can wait. We can live with a general quality enlarged text, but it's hard to accept the pixelated render (goes back to images above and thinks how sad the right side image looks).

Since we like democracy, here's a bunch of feedback links (dated all the way back to 2011) about people that are suffering ( I will quote some testimonials without mentioning names):

- https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/high-dpi-support-on-windows
    Dec 20, 2017 22:25: "Same issue, still, in 2017. How is that they give us tools to scale the UI for our apps, but not development.
    I adore how I have my system already set to use 2x, but unity ignores it.
    "

- https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/operating-system-dpi-settings-su
    Dec 13, 2017 04:22: "Still cannot believe this is an issue still, I mean 2017.3 is around the corner and still no DPI fix."

- https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/change-font-size-in-unity-editor?page=9
    Jul 15, 2016 04:20: "I used to think of this as an annoyance, but my displays over the years keep increasing their DPI making the text smaller and smaller. Also recently I had eye allergy problems and it made working very difficult. I appreciate larger fonts sizes now. (Maybe I'm getting old. >.< ) This gets a vote. Thank you Unity team I love being a Unity developer."

- https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...tes-the-games-not-the-game-i-am-making.154041
    June 18, 2017: "Absolutely agree that user-defined scaling of UI - is a BASIC MUST-HAVE feature. Still missing in 2017."

Thanks and I look forward to hear the team's thoughts.

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    DrJedd, Feriluce and JasonBricco like this.
  2. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

I added a poll just to have a bit more visibility.