Search Unity

Hi and Help

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jayelar, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jayelar

Jayelar

Hi guys my name is Jayelar, I have the free version of Unity 5 but need some help.

I really want to be an indie game developer and I have watched tons of Youtube videos about how to learn and have used the unity videos but I just cannot do them. Also to make matters worse, my family is too poor to set me on a unity learning course. All I can do is place a pre-made asset
    does anyone know what I can do? I want to know how to make games in Unity and make assets in Blender.

Please help me!

Jay

2. Eths

Eths

Making games and learning how to do it doesn't require any money, you don't need to learn from "advanced unity3d courses" to become a good Indie developer,there isn't any specific answer or a clear answer on how to be a good indie developer, it totally depends on each person, but I think that you just need to be patient and to start learning really slow until you get used to it.

GarBenjamin, Ryiah, aer0ace and 2 others like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

@Eths is right. You already have access to everything you need for free. There's enough material on YouTube or Unity's own Learn section to teach you the basics. The rest comes with just doing it for a while and building the experience.

Martin_H, GarBenjamin, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Watching YouTube videos and the learn section do not make you a game developer. Neither does a game design degree from a prestigious university.

Game devs are defined by the fact that they make and publish games. Open up Unity. Make Roll-A-Ball. Make flappy bird and pong clones. Make some small original game. Publish it. Then you will be a game dev.

As a side note: If you can't learn to code from the learn section you will have to face the fact that you can't do game dev and move on.

Martin_H, Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  5. goat

goat

You very 1st post and it's a claim that you can't learn Unity? And you post in the Discussion Section rather than the Getting Started Section. One would think if you were interested you would have asked questions when you had problems doing the Unity Learn tutorials.

And you should know, the Unity Learn tutorials are as good as it gets. If you're on the internet we know you aren't poor either. Lusting for more does not equal poor.

Wow.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

@goat pretty much covered it.

Try harder. Works every time.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. neginfinity

neginfinity

You don't need unity learning course. You can learn by reading documentation. There are free assets, on asset store, you can make your own assets (using free tools like blender 3d).

8. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

I would start by asking you what cog in the game development engine you want to be? 3d artist? animator? programmer? all of the above?
    Maybe get comfortable with one of them, as a complete begginer maybe not a good idea to try all at once. find that position that really speaks to you and start from there.
    If you're going for programming, start with something small, there's a bit of a grudge around here for people that try to make skyrim as their first game dev project.
    Don't be that guy, and welcome!!.

Martin_H, theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  9. goat

goat

Someone might point out to you Unity is 99% placing prefab assets. It's supposed to seem that easy because it is. You should look in the asset store for game genre frameworks that eliminate even more of the programming for you. I already know that you can buy all you'd possible need for less than $500 dollars. So you're not rich and will have to budget over time to buy those assets. That's what the rich still must do too.

You need to go back and buy a C# learning book on Amazon or maybe one day, Microsoft and Unity will team up and create a Unity Development book using MS Code and Unity and distribute in PDF form free. I think they need to first finish up all the features in Unity 5 and MS Code 1st on all platforms. It's pretty clear that a complete noob won't be able to program without being taught to program and ultimately that means you and a book and you working through that book.

As far as creating art assets on YouTube there is Darren Lile and David Ward that have easy to follow Blender tutorials and it is fun to create a character model that looks like you wanted.

10. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

coding is hard (when you first start). I remember being crap at it when I was in school and first getting into it. You just have to keep on.

I might recommend doing some non-unity learn to c# stuff to get into the coding.

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wardriving?

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

Speaking of which I remember a story about homeless man who was blogging using internet access in public libraries.

Internet access doesn't mean much these days and don't indicate level of income.

Martin_H, HemiMG and Ryiah like this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Not to mention homeless shelters may have Internet access as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/20/homeless-wifi_n_7343152.html

Also I found this amusing video on YouTube while searching Google.

14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I'm glad you posted that. Reminded me I need to do my annual contribution.

15. HemiMG

HemiMG

To Wikipedia, or to wardrivers? :)

Kiwasi likes this.
  16. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'd be inclined to donate to Wikipedia if they didn't spam you with a fundraising message that takes up half the screen.

Kiwasi and GarBenjamin like this.
  17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its gone a bit crazy this year. Normally I only get the occasional pop up, and it goes away once I donate. Now it seems to be just trolling for cash.

I don't mind donating for wikipedia. I'm on the site multiple times a day, both in my hobby and as a profesional. But it is getting a little annoying.

18. delinx32

delinx32

If you can't learn from the quintillions of available tutorials, docs, articles, and sample projects then this line of work probably isn't for you.

Kiwasi likes this.
  19. goat

goat

Oh, please. People use claims of being poor as leverage to get their way and try and shame you because they don't have everything they lust for. It's a common sales tactic.

Furthermore, most homeless are addicts, not poor except it's a poor state of affairs when you've become addicted, and in that case that's why they don't end up being someone like Phillip Seymour Hoffman or Amy Winehouse. Shatter, alcohol, or whatever they are hooked up their poverty saves them from overdose.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  20. Amon

Amon

Learning is easy. Understanding what you have learnt takes time.

21. drewradley

drewradley

This isn't the place for your political statements. You should know better than that.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    JoeStrout likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's ok he got a thread ban. That will happen a lot to massively off topic posters from this point. If its way over. STAY ON TARGET.

23. Martin_H

Martin_H

The thread got so offtopic, because with the amount of information given, not much more can be done to help.

You made good choices with Unity and Blender, but you need to be aware that making games on your own is (imho) one of the hardest things to do on earth, and blender is also infamous for having a steep learning curve. For programming the beginning can sometimes feel like a wall instead of a learning curve. Don't worry, I've been there too. Even with programming knowledge, just trying to get the first steps done in unity.
    You need to know that everything you learn, every bit of information you pick up along the way, will contribute to your goal. Keep watching tutorials, even those where you don't understand most of the things. Start with beginner stuff, work your way up as you understand more. Rewatch things that you don't understand at first. Watch several tutorials on the same topic if neccessary. Read general documentation and API documentation, read commented examples and look for a free C# ebook or something like that to get some programming basics unrelated to the unity API if you feel like that would help you.

For blender go here:
    http://www.blenderguru.com/
    https://cgcookie.com/learn-blender/

And now the imho most important thing: be precise and thorough in everything. Your post suggests, that this might be a thing you still struggle with, because you have given us basically no information that would allow us to help you. You need to precisely identify the problem that prevents you from following along the beginner tutorials like this one:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-ball-tutorial
    think about what you could do to resolve the problem yourself, google your problem, and when you can't find a solution then come to the forum for help like you did, but provide all the neccessary information about your problem and where you need help/advice. Be thorough. You will always have to do the work yourself, there is no way around that. But people can point you in the right direction.
    However if you can't get your thoughts focused, communicate clearly, and anticipate what information others will need, to help you solve your problem, then work on that first, because imho those are skills absolutely needed for programming.

Kiwasi likes this.
  24. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

lol everyone is talking about tutorials I actually needed to learn every basic syntax myself (I had a crappy internet to watch any video) Then i don't event know how i figured out unity's API and intermediate level features and design patterns. And in blender O hardly even got any text tuts but managed to make basic models. Everything is possible if you want to!