Search Unity

✭ Heya guys, this is an introduction (and a cry for help). ✭

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by motionjames, Oct 22, 2017.

1. motionjames

motionjames

Hello, programy mathy people of the internet! Thanks for clicking on this thread. I'm an artsy kiddo who is eager to learn about programming, although I'm sure I won't be very fantastic at it. Won't stop me from try'n, though! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧

I am currently trying my hand at one of those top-down rpg style thingies and so far I've got things like movement, camera jiggle, transitions and the whatnot going about swimmingly. I decided to go back and fix the camera jitter that happens when you bump into things, which caused my player to go all ice-skate mode. I decided to fix that, too, but I think I messed it up.
    Every time I go into Unity, it says I've got a compiler error. I've checked over my code and I don't think I see anything wrong, but ya never know! Something must be up 'cos it won't work.
    Here's some pics of my player controller code:

Frankly, i'm not experienced enough to understand what I've done wrong yet, but if anybody out there'll help me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for reading.

2. Stiner75

Stiner75

I think you might have the wrong brackets for your bottom two "if" statements. You have ( and ) instead of { and }

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Additionally you misspelled "Horizontal" on line 42.

Stiner75 likes this.
  4. motionjames

motionjames

It seems I've made my debut with some silly mistakes. Thanks for catching me! They have been fixed and things are working smoothly now.

Stiner75 and larku like this.
  5. Stiner75

Stiner75

Such is the nature of coding. One wrong symbol or a word capitalized when it shouldn't be (pulled my hair out over that one once...) and it all goes to pot. Glad you're up and running.

6. jchester07

jchester07

Look out for red curvy lines. You can also click that big play button on monodevelop. It should direct you to errors you can't see. Also, learn to read console logs. It will give you directions to where the error is such which line you had an error. You can double click the error so it would direct you automatically to where the error is.