Search Unity

hey new game I'm planning on making need help/insight

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by ChrisCanvas2077, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ChrisCanvas2077

ChrisCanvas2077

I'm New to Unity but thats not a big issue. I want too make a game on mobile its a MMO RTS SciFi kinda game. Similar in terms of layout too 2 examples i have from both IOS and Android Stores; Called,
    Galaxy Empire (by Tap4Fun) and Galaxy at War Online (by Sphinx Entertainment) the general set up/layout and feel of these games is what I'm shooting for but I'm greatly expanding on it. My question is this easily done on Unity? If so any help/tips or suggestions too get me started with this? If Unity would struggle with a game like this do u know any other engine that would run it better?...I also want to bring in 3D models into the game but layout for planets in 2D-2.5D. any suggestions on that too would be awesome

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, Unity is a fine tool for this. Use the "Learn" link at the top of this page to get started, and post back here when you run into some specific problem you can't figure out.

Good luck,
    - Joe

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. ChrisCanvas2077

ChrisCanvas2077

Alright cool thanks

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

No.

It's not easily done in anything. Unity is as good as any other engine out there. But what you are proposing is hard.

5. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

im actually doing same kind of game, its not a mmorpg, there is no "real time multiplayer" its what we call "async multiplayer".

its easier than a mmorpg as there is much less things to manage.
    generally this kind of games use what we call rest api server call, you can check some services like playfab from @Brendan Vanous or gamespark from @GameSparks Shane

the 2d or 3d model choice is irelevent, its mostly UI event that will call your server functions

it could be layout like this:
    -player login>receive response with its player data, feed this data in your UI and load your gameplay scene.
    -when your gameplay scene is loaded setup your elements (base , starship or whatever) stats from the data you just loaded after login
    -button input will send request like "Upgrade building" then on your server you check if your energy is enough send success = true or false as a response then this response will be read by your client.

this games are basically like heartsone, unity is probably the best engine for these kind of game.

my advice if you really want to do a game like this, choose a backend service, start by designing your UI, make it send event to your server and process event, that way you will have a quick prototype you can early design, you dont need to focus on adding 3d stuff.

6. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

This, basically. There is no easy way to do this. There isn't even a moderate way to do it, the only way is the sodding difficult way, which is the most fun way.

There's a saying where I come from, if you're not on the verge of throwing a brick at your computer, then you're not living.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Save time and effort. Run it over with your car on the way home. :p

8. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

New to unity and want to make a MMO...... "Take a shot"

9. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

I don't mean to be rude, it's just that there are a lot of post about MMOs. As for your game ideas, I have nothing against them but they do sound like a tall order for someone new to unity.