Search Unity

hey i need some help

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by snowballfred, Jan 3, 2019.

1. snowballfred

snowballfred

hola wonderful people

im trying to use unity to make custom maps for a game ,
    some nifty bloke made a script that saves and loads maps ,

alas i would like to be able to use the prefabs from the assetbundles provided by the game devs
    but i cant get them from the asset bundles ,

even if i load them with a script someone wrote i cant for example drag them from the hierarchy window onto the terrain , or in another example of something that does not work if i take the loaded prefab fro mthe hierarchy to the asset folder and then try to drag it from there onto the terrain nothing show up although it thinks its in the scene ? im so lost

Attached Files:

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

snowballfred likes this.
  3. snowballfred

snowballfred

darn as thats what facepunch gave us to work with any suggestions as my C# is extremely weak

4. Flavelius

Flavelius

Depends on what you intend to do with them/their content. If they're intended to be used at runtime, no problem, but if not, you may be able to use this https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio to manually convert everything to various formats that you then have to reimport into unity and reassemble (you probably don't want to do that). I'd just ask whoever gave you this, to create a correct unitypackage

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    snowballfred likes this.
  5. snowballfred

snowballfred

yeah they released an sdk for map making , got save and loading going on which is fine , i just cant frag drop prefabs which would speed up my use loads , as you can see from the screen shot i have them populated from the bundle files in the hierarchy , but thats as far as i can get ,

So to help understand ,
    you load the map ( a serialized terrain and prefab .map file which is interperated by the game)
    once loaded select bundle file and it loads the prefabs into the hierarchy , after that step there is a load prefabs button which appears to instantiate the prefabs on to the white cubes that hold their data , this limits me to the prefabs on the map and is a general run around if im trying to say get a rock to use with gaia's spawner .
    i hope that makes sense

6. Flavelius

Flavelius

That sounds like something you should discuss with their devs. It seems they have a special system for managing this, not something that's a built-in base feature of unity.

Joe-Censored and snowballfred like this.
  7. snowballfred

snowballfred

oh ive tried , another guy has made a standalone editor with drag drop going on but he told me i have to code my own editor and provided me some keywords to search on youtube, something that to be honest is beyond my capability , i have some assets like inventory pro that i picked up on a humble bundle deal ,
    reasons why i dont use his , its cumbersome and extremely restrictive when it comes to working with the prefabs ,
    ie 1 at a time and no ability to use things like gaia as its stand alone ,
    so my options were/are deal with the slow restricted standalone or attempt to work it out ,

thanks for the replies anyways man , hopefully some quick fella knows an easy work around but as ive been at it for a while now its frustrating me and causing me to loose interest the more i think about it

8. snowballfred

snowballfred

9. Flavelius

Flavelius

So it seems that this is indeed intended to be used at runtime. Then assetbundles are correct. And yes, you'd have to code something yourself or use the existing one you mentioned.
    Edit: now that you posted the link, it looks like some things do work in the editor too. But the repository itself states that this is an early, rough version. You'd better post your issues in their issue tracker.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. snowballfred

snowballfred

ah drat thanks anyways man