Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Hey, how's everyone doing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexConnolly, Jan 5, 2016.

1. AlexConnolly

AlexConnolly

Haven't been on the forums for a while (Used to be alex95) and was wondering how everyone is doing? Any highlights in the past year or so? :cool:

Hope you are all well, and happy new year too!

2. BFGames

BFGames

Hello Alex! Happy new year!

Been busy on various projects, and just released a Kickstarter / Greenlight (already greenlit :) ). So thats kinda a highlight.

theANMATOR2b and kittik like this.
  3. kittik

kittik

Hey. Hope you've both had happy new years. In December I came up with a new idea for a game, which I think could do fairly well, when I have more to share I surely will (currently prototyping). Just seen your previous work and Kickstarter @BFGames, well done, they look really polished. :)

4. BFGames

BFGames

Thanks a lot. Worked on that game for a year now while also finishing my master degree and working on another project. So been busy!

But i am really proud of it!

5. RichardKain

RichardKain

Had to take a break thanks to some work I was doing helping my parents with the house they are working on, and the holidays. One thing roughly game-related, I spent some time running up to the holidays crafting a custom console using a Raspberry Pi B+. Turned it into a home-brewed emulation box, with a custom designed and constructed exterior. LED buttons, Blue-tooth SNES controller, flush-mount ports for HDMI and USB, the whole nine yards. Good times.

Now that the holidays are over, I'm going to start shifting back over to active development.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. AlexConnolly

AlexConnolly

You got me at trains - That looks awesome!

Keep us updated mate - Always look forward to seeing what the community comes up with :)

Sounds like my dream holiday season. Anything you'd care to share with us? Was it pure software or have you been working on the hardware too? I've always found electronics interesting, but haven't actually dived into it!

7. BFGames

BFGames

Thanks!

8. RichardKain

RichardKain

I designed and built the external case to store the system, out of pine, with brass hinges and a fastener to open and close the lid. Then I mounted the Raspberry Pi in the box, installed 3 LED buttons in the sides of the box, and wired them to the Pi's GPIO pins. I had to write a custom python script that runs whenever the system activates, that constantly checks for the states on those pins, and runs commands when you press any of the buttons. I also soldered an extra 2-pin header to the Raspberry Pi in order to allow for a soft reset feature.

I installed a flush-mount port for USB and HDMI in the back of the box, and ran the cords for it to the Pi. An extra 2 USB ports were installed in the front.

After that it was just a matter of installing the RetroPie SD card image, and then performing a lot of customizations and setup. (pairing a wireless blue-tooth controller, etc...)

unityunity