Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

hey elias milkshape179 fbx works!

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by pete, Aug 29, 2006.

1. pete

pete

finally got around to testing it out! this is a hacked together thingy using an old genesis 3d act file that came with realityfactory. decompiled in milkshape 1.7.9 then exported to fbx. milkshape mucks up the frames with act files. (iirc you got to edit in notepad and i was too lazy). anyway that's they don't loop very well. but it looks like the uvs and animations come in ok and you'd probably be ok working from scratch. anyway you probably don't even care anymore! ;)

idle animation as default. arrows/wasd to make him run in place. space to jump.

http://www.oculardgi.com/MS3DFBXTest.html

2. Jokerminator

Jokerminator

Cool... these are good news! :)

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Indeed... that'd make Milkshape the lowest priced way to get skinned animations into Unity currently... pending you can run Windows somewhere.

-Jon

4. Jokerminator

Jokerminator

Yeah... I learned how to use Blender the last time...(I come from 3D Studio Max) now I'll start the same with Milkshape - but probabely only to animate and bone my Blender models... maybe also to generate UVs... not sure yet.

So Blender/Milkshape are good partners for a very low price... for those who like the modeling in Blender more. :)

5. pete

pete

:idea: someone should try milkshape->unity in parallels...

6. jocphone

jocphone

Second try..

Just tried it with an animated zombie from characterfx.

Converted with MilkShape to fbx, all on parallels, then
    into Unity.

Considering I don't really know what I am doing it
    seems to have worked seamlessly.

http://www.2dare.co.uk/unity/ZombiePlayer.html

Joc

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Just tested Milkshape 1.7.10 (latest) while running Parallels and it seems to run just fine. I've never used Milkshape before, so I could do was to load a model and move it around, but everything seemed to work fine from what I could tell.

So what is your work path from Blender => Milkshape => Unity? Are you exporting as .OBJ from Blender?

Another option (although it will cost you $24 more than Milkshape) is Ultimate Unwrap 3D. UU3D supports so many file formats (and has some of it's own (basic) animation features that it might work also. I'll need to find another file format that Blender can export that includes animation. I tried DirectX .X, which normally works but UU3D won't support that under Parallels. Maybe LWO or something else might work. I'll dig into this a bit when I get a chance...

8. pete

pete

lithunwrap is still free i think. younger brother of ultimate. in my pc side exp, it was milshape and lith. ms for modeling and animation. lith for uvs. ultimate gives you some nice unwrap stuff iirc but no animation. any combo of the above will work though.

workflow wise... model in whatever you want -> obj (?) bone and animate in milkshape, uv in lith/ultimate. export from ms as a fbx. milkshape is a pretty good low poly modeler though.

[edit: joe... didn't see you reposted. all on parallels? awesome! that totally opens some doors...]

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Forgot about LithUnwrap, thanks for that. There are so many improvements in UU3D that it's definitely worth the $49 IMHO. You're aware that UU3D supports .FBX also, right? Plus a mess of other file formats. I've posted a question on the BlenderArtists forum, I hope to find a better way to get Blender animations into Unity and not have to learn yet another 3D app. So if I can get Blender => UU3D => Unity to work, I'll be happy.

Speaking of "yet another 3D app", anyone tried "Pixels3D"? I just got a coupon for $100 off (final price is $49 after discount) so I decided to check it out. The website doesn't say anything about export file formats so I don't know if it'll work, but some of the features look pretty nice.

I also stopped by "Equinox 3D"'s website. It's a free Linux / OS X based 3D app that exports Collada files. The developer was just starting to add some animation features when I last checked 6 months ago, but it doesn't look like anything new has happened since...

EDIT: This might work: Use the Ogre3D exporter script ( http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78139&highlight=ogre ) and then import it into UU3D which apparently supports Ogre3D .XML files ( http://www.unwrap3d.com/formats.aspx ). It's too late for me to test this tonight, but I'll try to give it a spin tomorrow.

10. pete

pete

>>You're aware that UU3D supports .FBX also, right?
    nope. i wasn't.

sorry i sure wasn't paying attention! i don't think lwo will work for you. that's lightwave's object format. animation would be in a lws file. the ogre exporter sounds like it has a good shot. and poof you have a blender solution... that'd be cool!

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

No such luck :( I just checked the UU3D .FBX exporter and it doesn't include animations. I emailed Brad (the developer) to ask if this might be added in the near future. The other "bummer" is that the Blender Ogre script requires Python 2.4 and all Mac builds of Blender use Python 2.3... argh...

BTW, were you aware that there was a MilkShape export script for Blender? I ran into it while searching the Blender forums. It's pretty old, and not very complete, but might be useful for something.

So I guess the only real solutions at present are blender => MilkShape => Unity or blender => Dim3 => Unity.

UPDATE: I got Blender, Python 2.4 and the Ogre 3D script to all run under Parallels Desktop. It's getting kind of "ugly" though...

12. pete

pete

bah! the ogre export doesn't help ya because ultimate doesn't do fbx's with animation. so you're still through milkshape/dim. at least maybe you could animate in blender. not positive but seem to think milkshape has an ogre importer? if not what about MD3/5... whatever they are: halflife/doom. pretty sure milkshape has em. thought blender did too. then at least it's not learning a whole new app. just import and export. you could still use ultimate for uving. but yeah, getting kind of ugly. you'd certainly be happier with blender native support...

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Amen!

You're right about UU3D and .FBX, but after chatting with the guy who's working on "Collada Blender" I've got a feeling we'll see animation support in UU3D long before we'll ever see a full version of the Collada script.

I haven't really used Milkshape or Dim3 yet. Sure seems to be a shame to have to use a product that doesn't have 1/10th of Blender's abilities just to get an animation into Unity :(

14. drJones

drJones

meh - should we not be holding our breath?

15. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I exchanged emails with the developer at "Collada Blender" about a week ago. Basically he's been too busy with other things and the script has made little (if any) progress in months. Pretty disappointing too, not many open source projects get funding and when this project got added to the "summer of code" funding earlier this year I had great hopes of seeing animation by now. Not very encouraging I'm afraid.

16. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hey, I may have good news! I just got an email from Brad (UU3D) that his .FBX plugin -does- support animation. Anybody got a Blender file with animation they'd like me to try?

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Actually there are Python 2.4 builds...I know 'cause I'm using one. Check out the Blender download page again.

Edit: Oops, seems the Python 2.4 version is PPC only, sorry.

--Eric

18. pete

pete

>>Anybody got a Blender file with animation they'd like me to try?
    sorry i don't! i bit the bullet and bought lightwave. just tried milkshape for elias. if i get some time i might play with it but work is starting to pile up :x

19. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Update: The author of the Ogre XML exporter was kind enough to modify his script so it now works with Python 2.3, and consequently the current versions of Blender for Mac (PPC and Intel). The new script can be downloaded here: http://www.imaph.tu-bs.de/home/mire/OGRE/BlenderExport.tar.gz

Haven't tested this with UU3D yet...

20. jocphone

jocphone

How is this installed in Blender? I had a quick google search but couldn't find the paths they were talking about. Do I have to create folders within Blender.app?

As ogre and collada are both xml file formats, gotta wonder how difficult it would be to transform from one to the other...

21. jocphone

jocphone

Ok found the hidden .blender folder.

For anyone else who wants to install scripts in Blender here's the path:

/Applications/blender2.42a/Blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts

Now to investigate if transforming the xml is viable...

Joc

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Regarding the python scripts path in Blender, you can set that to any path you wish in the Blender settings panel. This panel is normally hidden, but if you move your cursor over the bottom edge of the top menu bar, the cursor will change to a "fist". Click and drag the bottom edge and the top panel will be revealed. The bottom two illustrations show what I'm talking about. I created a separate "scripts" folder and pointed the settings to it and it works fine.

Yesterday I gave this a try with limited success. The Ogre script saves to an Ogre .XML file. So I downloaded OgreXMLconverter.exe from here: http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?opt...57&func=fileinfo&filecatid=47&parent=category
    (Windows command line tool) which will convert the file to an Ogre .MESH file. I loaded the .MESH file into Ultimate Unwrap 3D (latest version 2.29 is required) and then saved to a .FBX. Although the static mesh itself worked, the animation was all buggered up. I haven't isolated the cause for the problems yet.

Attached Files:

23. jocphone

jocphone

I'd never really understood the preferences script path and was loath to change it in case I lost all the inbuilt scripts.

I was actually wondering about a different way of converting the ogre xml to dae xml and that was using an xsl transform. I realise this means quite a bit of work but, as both are human readable, I though I might have a go at transforming some simple files just to see how difficult it might be. Potentially it could give us a Mac only solution. I do use parallels but it is a bit of a pain transferring files etc..

One problem though. To make a start, I just had a cube move and rotate and exported this through the ogre exporter. The thing that I don't understand is that section of the exporter which looks like it's purpose is to select the animations to save.

Nothing was showing!

Do you think it has to be a certain type of animation? Or maybe I have to name the animation somewhere? I realise that you didn't write this exporter but I'm just curious if you knew. No animation information showed up in the ogre xml, as expected.

Joc

24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, exactly. An all Mac solution is the way to go.

I really don't know. I used the character animation file that is included with this tutorial to test it:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation