Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games HexLands - A medieval city builder with roguelike elements!

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tudvari, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hi guys!
    Let me introduce you my second game:

HexLands is a turn-based, roguelike city builder, set on peaceful, procedural medieval islands. Settle as many islands as possible, as they are getting less and less habitable! Manage your resources, complete quests, use special tools and synergize perks!
    How far will your empire reach?

Wishlist on Steam now!

Your goal is to expand your empire to as many harder and harder procedural islands as possible to maximize your empire’s population!
    You have to efficiently use the available resources, tools and perks, adapt to the environment, complete procedural quests... otherwise you can’t establish a strong enough colony to set sail for the next one!
    Set sail, and choose wisely! Which island's perk and biome fits your playstyle and strategy the best? How far will your empire reach?

• Your first building is always a town hall, which claims some tiles around it.
    • If you reach a specific population with a town (i.e. by building houses), its territory grows, claiming even more land! Try not to overlap towns! ;)
    • If your island is populated enough, you can leave for the next one!
    • But why waste those valuable resources? Build as much as you can so your empire prosper!

• Every turn, you have to build something on your island!
    • Every turn, you get a maximum of 3 random options to build from. They are selected from the pool of currently buildable buildings.
    • A building is buildable if you own a suitable tile and you have enough resources.
    • So if you want to increase your chances of getting a specific building… you must rule out the other possible buildings! Achieve it by spending a specific resource or building on a specific type of tile.

• Though every island is a clean slate, you won’t start them empty-handed!
    • Every island rewards you with a perk, helping you till the very end! So choose your next island wisely, build synergy!
    • Collect various tools, special cards and save them for later! Maybe planting a forest or discovering a mine is what’s going to save your colony!
    • Build structures like trading ports, which benefit your future islands as well!
    • A balanced toolkit is the key: a harmony of perks, tool cards filling the gaps and buildings on previous islands supporting your future endeavours!

Once you can’t expand any further, you meet with your empire’s population, your final score.
    Can your colonies reach the top of the leaderboards? ;)

• If you want more challenge, try the time limit mode! (looking at you, speedrunners!)
    • If you want to chill, try the sandbox mode!
    This game offers you:
    • High replay value - Explore endless procedural islands!
    • Roguelike elements
    • Chance management
    • City building on relaxing medieval islands
    • Resource management
    • Procedural perk tree, offering you customisable playstyle
    • Master the game and climb the leaderboard!
    But doesn’t offer you:
    • Battles
    • Complex story
    • 4X Strategy
    • Multiplayer
    • Lootboxes
    • 40 man raids

Please keep in mind that I’m just a solo but passionate developer. This is not a AAA experience with hours and hours of content. I love Civilization, but HexLands is not really close to the 4X genre. What I’m creating is a simple at first sight but hard to master game. And you don’t even have to get a second mortgage to afford it!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have feedback, questions, or problems with the game. I’ll try my best! Oh, and let me know if you enjoyed the game, because that just makes my day! :)

HexLands is inspired by such great games like:
    • Islanders
    • Dorf Romantik
    • Sid Meier’s Civilization
    • and many more! (like I was listening to an endless Age of Empires soundtrack during the first month of development)
    If you are interested in this project, feel free to join our Discord community.

And here's the first devlog, if you are interested where it started:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hi guys!
    Release is far away, but UI elements are already done for not yet existing features! :D
    Thus the upcoming Steam page will already look good from day one!
    Details in the video! :)

3. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hi guys,
    This year I started turning my ARPG into 3D, started a roguelike strategy game... and well, did some other stuff!
    Let's see what I achieved in 2022 and my plans for 2023! :)
    Cheers!

4. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hey guys! :)
    Finally, here's the teaser of HexLands:

5. emmapredovic2

emmapredovic2

Excuse me,
    This year I began developing a roguelike strategy game, began converting my ARPG into 3D, and began working on other projects.
    Take a look at my 2022 accomplishments and my 2023 goals. drift boss

6. Tudvari

Tudvari

Sorry, I don't quite get your comment. But I guess you are a bot.

7. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hey guys!
    I updated the Steam page's art. What do you think of the new one? Is it better? Is it fitting? Is it misleading? Was the previous better?
    Let me know! :)
    Thanks in advance!

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is amazing, there are both ' Civilization ' - stuff, and also cards, with random content . . .

9. Tudvari

Tudvari

Thanks! :)
    By the way, here's the newest devlog!
    It's freezing but still haven’t really seen snow! :\
    So I made snowy❄️and desert️ islands in my roguelike city builder, HexLands! It feels so good to just work on them, can't wait to polish them!

10. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

so, this is a very nice video, and also good luck with the title // looks almost a Nintendo - classic . . .

Tudvari likes this.
  11. Tudvari

Tudvari

Thanks, appreciate your kind words! :)

12. nicklesteele532

nicklesteele532

We are grateful to you and appreciate your warm thoughts!

13. Tudvari

Tudvari

Hi guys!
    I completely revamped the card system in my roguelike city builder, called HexLands! Closed alpha is going on right now on Discord, give it a try, crash it, and you may just earn a place in the credits! :)

Thanks in advance, and have a nice weekend!