Search Unity

Heroic Fantasy Creatures Full Pack Volume 1 & 2 Upgraded to PBR with Root motion support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 9, 2016.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

just started on it... Well, this one is going to have a major facelift... Expect to have the same upgrade level as for the wyvern or mountain dragon. really need a ton of love if not more... Currently redesign it to see what feels right. hope to have something to show soon.

2. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... Going to stick with 3 heads?

3. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

yep, adding more would be terrible for the bones count. and would be a nightmare to animate. Production cost need to be tight... :)

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Makes sense. Looking forward to it.

5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

here is a little update. Design is done. Blocked out everything it's ready to be polished before added all the details. It's a little bit of a statement, but that's how it's going to be. people might love or hate the design. Hope most will love it.

the geometric shape is the human size reference.

6. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Love it.

7. l0cke

l0cke

Hi, when you send update link for customers who bought wyvern and mountain dragon through your store? I ve checked email and no update there. Thanks.

8. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Wyvern and Demon Lord download links have been sent like 3 weeks ago... Mountain dragon download links will be sent along with the finished upgraded Hydra. Please Be patient. (Most likely next week)
    Going to send you PM to sort that out.

9. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Little update before the week end: Hydra is modeled ( game ready version at 28 Ktris), rigged and skinned (might just need some tweaking here and there, will be figured out during animation process).
    Here is a quick render to check it out. will also post a sketchfab viewer of the Work In progress.

Cheers! :)

10. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

And here is the sketchfab viewer, it'll be updated as the model reaches its final state.

11. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks spectacular. Much more threatening than the previous design.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  12. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Yep, a totally different design. Trying to make it stand out among the crowd of hydras. Previous design looked kind of wrong. Upper chest / base neck area was way too wide, overall too blend and flat. This new upgraded version truly brings it to a whole new level with a nice zest of originality. (Which I hope most people will like...)

13. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Updated the sketchfab viewer with all the included animations except the death one which remains to be done. Hydra package should be live tomorrow.

Don't forget to check out what's available on our PUBLISHER's PAGE we have more than 120 packs at 50 % OFF untill the end of the month.

punk likes this.
  14. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Updated the Hydra's sketchfab viewer. Model is now complete and V2.0 has been submitted. It should be live really soon, same for the Fantasy lizards pack, V2.03 should be live in a few.

Heroic fantasy creatures full pack V2.10 is currently being uploaded, it should be live later today or during the night.
    Download links have been sent to customers who purchased the volume from formal PROTOFACTOR STORE
    Heroic Fantasy Creatures Full Pack Volume 1, Fantasy lizards Pack and Hydra of Lerna are currently at 50 % OFF until the end of the month.
    Even all our packages are on sale (except Animals Full Pack), check it out on our Publisher's Page

15. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

That looks amazing ... well done.

Just curious, any plans to ever update your sci fi assets or are they not big enough sellers to make it worthwhile?

16. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Also, can I ask what you plan to update next? :)

17. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Thanks.
    what do you mean by upgrading these characters? They were destined for mobile. Means if they'd have an update it would be root motion animations only. Re doing them from scratch do bring them to the next level wouldn't be worthwhile unfortunately and they'd be mostly desktop oriented (even if it's possible to create lods and legacy shader versions... they're not big sellers...
    next upgrades are going to be from Volume 2, potentially giant scorpion and giant crab

18. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

For some reason the submission / update process is taking way longer than usual... Hope there isn't anything wrong. Also, a Sketchfab user, pointed out that there was some tiny skinning issues in the rear legs of the Hydra. They've now been fixed and an update will be on its way tomorrow. Sorry about the inconvenience.
    Edit: Fixed versions will be 2.01 (Hydra package alone) / 2.31 (Fantasy Lizards Pack) / 2.101 (Heroic Fantasy creature Vol 1, most likely tomorrow...)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  19. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... I wasn't sure if these were intended for mobile or built so long ago that they just got dated from a poly count perspective.

For the sci fi characters, are the animations usable on a humanoid rig?

20. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hydra v2.01 is now live with skinning fixes / Fantasy Lizards Pack V2.031 is live as well with the fixed hydra. V2.101 of the creatures volume 1 is currently on its way and should make it this morning.

They were designed with legacy in mind at that time. Would need to investigate to see if it's possible or not.

21. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Update: Creatures full pack Volume 1 V2.101 is live with hydra skinning fixed.
    Update 2 : Giant Scorpion upgrade is on its way towards completion. After looking at the older version, it's been decided to redo it from the ground up... Now i'll look more realistic anatomically speaking, and also scarier. This upgraded little beast will certainly be a nice addition to your fantasy project.
    Here is a quick render:

Model (19.9 Ktris) is now rigged, skinned, textured (both Legacy and PBR) and is currently having its animation fixed so it matches the new anatomy.
    A sketchfab viewer will be posted later today.
    Hope you guys will appreciate this upgrade.

ivendar and hopeful like this.
  22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

and here is the early sketchfab viewer:

23. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

That's amazing! I didnt think the scorpion needed a redo but this is a huge improvement.

24. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

that's what we were thinking as well, but after looking more closely at it we decided to go ahead and improve it. this is a pretty huge improvement here. It turned out pretty well.
    Updated the sketchfab viewer with most of the animations.

25. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Protofactor,

I cannot see the Lizard pack listed anymore?

Sorry to cause the headache

Edit - forget the scorpion problem The image on my screen is small and the spider next to the dragon leg looked like a scorpon on the vol1 full pack.

doc

26. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

What do you mean by not listed?
    Not sure to understand your Edit part... could you elaborate, please?

27. docsavage

docsavage

Sorry not so clear. I checked the protofactor page and couldn't see the fantasy lizards pack that was on the other day. I have realised that you have changed the image of the pack on the store page. My fault. Re the edit it was because I couldn't make out the image on my pc screen and confused the spider in front of the dragon leg with a scorpion (sounds daft unless you can see what I mean). When realised it was my vision I edited the post to try and save work for you. Did'nt work though. Sorry

28. l0cke

l0cke

Just small remark, feets (paws) of hydra are quite wierd, it look like poor hydra will fall in the next moment. Much better would be look simular to mountain dragon.

29. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

As mentioned before, this new design is kind of a statement. Really wanted to bring something different on the table. So decided to look into a more dinosaur-ish (Brachiosaurus) and elephant feel. You might be among the ones who hate it... sorry about that. We're not going to change the design.
    Gotcha. Yeah, the icon has changed. I hope it's more catchy now... Is it?

30. ivendar

ivendar

Fantastic work on that scorpion.

31. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Thank you!
    Updated the Sketchfab Viewer with the finished version of the giant scorpion.

32. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Giant Scorpion V2.0 is now live on the Asset Store. It's currently at 50% ($12.50 instead of $25)

33. l0cke

l0cke

Different does not mean better. Whole model is otherwise very good, but feets are ruining feeling from it. Btw, I remember our conversation 1,5 year ago, when I told you something like that creatures in you packs have quite plastic and unrealistic textures a that it ruins quality of the pack. You answered, that something more realistic is not your style (i want to be different...). I asked you, how much would you ask for doing this as a custom work for client and you offered me price like I am buying from Blizzard. So I said no. Now, 1,5 year later you are doing exactly what I wanted and for free. Indeed that now it is your style. Live has really good sense of humour.

My point is, that instead of telling what is not your style, you should more listen to people around you, feedback is most important way, how to improve yourself.

34. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

I think that you're mixing up believable with realistic. Heck, yesterday a sketchfab user even put the scorpion in his "cartoony" collection... higher resolution and details materials doesn't mean realistic. Using also PBR can also improve that feeling of something believable. The real PBR value used for metal and such can lead to that tealistic feeling but to me overall feel would still be the believable. Look at the Orc for example or the Goblin, they look believable but not really realistic, they're something different to my opinion.
    It's not because your feedback is not taken into account on that one that you can say stuff like that. Usually we try to listen and see what can help, here as I said, it's kind of a statement. I received feedback that a lot of people love it... nobody can be always satisfied unfortunately... and here again I would offer "Blizzard pricing" for custom work, and there are people charging way more than that. Please, do not derail this thread. As you mentioned it, this is done free of charge for you guys while it could have been possible to create a whole different pack and charge for it...
    Thanks for your understanding.

35. l0cke

l0cke

You should :) Now it is too late.

36. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

It is still possible to create a paid upgrade path you know... but this is not the route we will take because it's more important to make "most" of our customers happy. Heck, a lot of you guys even purchased early birds of the volume 2 without even knowing exactly how it would end up being. If that's not trust then I don't know how to call it. This trust got to be rewarded somehow. Even if it's sometimes annoying to redo something... at the end the result is pretty rewarding anyway. Hope you'll like the other upgrades better than the Hydra.

37. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

As an ardent supporter of Protofactor products (as I own a very large portion of their collection), I've got to say that I not only agree with the direction they're taking their products, but also greatly appreciate their updating their current product line as opposed to revamping them in a "new" product line as a money grab. While they could have understandably done that, having chosen not to in and of itself will continue my commitment to promoting and purchasing their assets for my games.

And I've got to add that there were a couple of assets that I've always wanted, but that didn't purchase because there seemed to be "something" that didn't completely appeal to me, that have since been updated and will now find their way into my Protofactor collection for use in a future project of mine. These new updates are over-the-top in a good way, and I couldn't be happier with them. That's not to say that I like the older versions that I've purchased any less because I plan on keeping them for other uses as well. It's the best of both worlds. The updates aren't preventing sales from previous customers because they've given the products the extra appeal for me to purchase assets that I wouldn't have before, but enabled me to keep both old and new versions of the same product to use as needed. That adds value to Protofactor as a producer of quality products and instills a sense of loyalty in long-time customers such as myself.

So while some may not agree with the direction Protofactor is taking, I have to stand up and commend them for what they're doing because it builds customer loyalty and trust, which is something others in the Unity Asset Store could learn a thing or two from. Too many abandoned products out there for people to complain about a developer that actually updates their assets. If you don't like the new update, that's fine. You should still have the original version that you purchased. If it was good enough to make you want to buy it back then, it should still make you happy today. You don't have to download the updated version if you don't want to. And of course if anyone thinks they can do the job better they're more than welcome to create similar assets themselves. Since not everyone has the same taste in design or style, maybe you'll be able to successfully sell your own version in the Unity Asset Store, and then go on to make your own decisions on what direction you'll take when it comes time to either update or resell a version 2 of the same product. Just saying ...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Rajmahal and PROTOFACTOR_Inc like this.
  38. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

That's really nice to hear and that's what keep us going as well.
    I'm pretty sure he's not complaining that much, he just offered his critics, which I totally understand. Even Rajmahal mentioned before that he would have liked the hydra to have a similar head as the wyvern. I clearly answered it wouldn't be the case. I guess he got over that pretty fast. I think he even mentioned he liked the new design.
    Ioke is a tough cookie who wants excellence, nobody can argue that someone wants the best for his money that's legitimate. We try to listen to our customers or potential customers. Most if not all of the upgrades were done with their feedback in mind. Sometimes we won't agree and also keep our own art direction and that what makes PROTOFACTOR what it is. We do hope to provide original creations and designs out of overdone ideas... bringing back originality out of clichés when it comes to heroic fantasy.
    Next in the upgrade list will be giant crab from volume 2 then oak tree ent and fat ogre from volume 1.

l0cke likes this.
  39. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looking forward to seeing the treeant in particular.

40. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Sorry for the delay on the giant Crab... Last week was busy with some outsourcing job... Giant crab is on the way and should be ready tomorrow.
    Screenshots and sketchfab viewers in about 24 hours :) stay tuned
    Also 2 days left to get the volume 1 and Volume 2 at 50 % OFF.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice :)

42. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

thanks @nasos_333
    Update: As mentioned yesterday, Giant Crab is on its way. We decided to go with an new color scheme that will match the werecrab. Down the road the Kraken will also have a big facelift. To who is still expecting a giant octopus, sorry but it won't be the case. It'll be a mix between crab/lobster and nautilus. This way it'll also be possible to stay on the same color scheme and it will also be possible to optimize better with separate tentacles thanks to the nautilus shell.
    Here is a quick render of how the giant crab looks like right now. We really kept the overall design but added more geometry detail to the shell. Hope you guys will like this version better.

Also, some of you guys mentioned that it was pretty tricky to just have the crab strafe left / right. Even if it's not really organically accurate we'll create some additional move forward / backwards animations.

l0cke, hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  43. l0cke

l0cke

Can you check idle animation of basilisk? It seems there are some bones wrong (BASILISK_L Thigh a BASILISK_R Thigh ).

44. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

can you elaborate? what is wrong exactly? what kind of issue are you experiencing? with more details it might be possible to help, here it's impossible to know what your problem is ...

45. hopeful

hopeful

Just picked up the Giant Crab, so my Werecrab will have someone to hang out with. ;)

46. l0cke

l0cke

Wrong skeleton structure, these bones are on wrong place, it deforms animation.

47. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

thanks for this continued support @hopeful the giant crab should be live tomorrow. some few things have taken longer than expected... Will post a temporary sketchfab viewer to make you guys wait a little bit more

48. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

can you post a screenshot of the hierarchy in your hierarchy window?

49. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

just double checked in the submission project we use to submit our assets and upgraded version. Nothing wrong here, everything is playing fine. No weird deformations etc... what rig are you suing generic (recommended if you want to use mecanim) humanoid?(not recommended since it's obviously not a humanoid) or legacy(recommended if not planning on using mecanim)
    Edit: Have you tried creating a blank new project and import the character? sometimes things can get messed up on import. As of today nobody ever complained about such an issue...

50. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

here is the WIP sketchfab viewer. Still need to tweak get hit animation add two variations, update the death animaton and then create the root motion variations.

hopeful likes this.