Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes of Flatlandia - fantasy turn based strategy

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Vesnican, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Vesnican

Vesnican

I would like to introduce you our game Heroes of Flatlandia, that we create with my brother in our spare time. It is fantasy turn based strategy inspired by legendary games Heroes of might and magic or Age of Wonders. So in our fantasy world, you will lead your kingdom of noble elves or dreadful undeads as one of several powerful heroes. Raise mighty armies and crash your enemies in detailed tactical battles. You will use variety of spells and abilities to gain advantage, explore the world, and conquer your enemies. The game contains plenty of maps and allow you to play either against computer AI or against your friends in hot-seat multiplayer

Trailer

Google Play
    demo version - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HighlandStudio.HeroesOfFlatlandia
    full version - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HighlandStudio.HeroesOfFlatlandia1

App Store(only full version)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-of-flatlandia/id1445838121?ls=1&mt=8

2. N1ghtrunner

N1ghtrunner

wow. Looks like a really impressive effort! Can you tell me a a bit more about your process of making the game? Was it just you and your brother? Did you work on this full time or part time with a job/school to contend with? The graphics look really good! Did you create the assets yourselves, buy them, or outsource their creation to focus on code? Great effort! Will definitely check out the demo.

3. mblokh

mblokh

I just saw this coming by on AndroidPolice. Congrats on releasing the game, looks really cool. Always happy to support indie Unity developers!

4. Vesnican

Vesnican

Thanks for feedback...
    Yes, I created it only with my brother, but in near future we will try to find someone who can help us with sound, because neither me or my brother have no experience with sound creating/editing software. We work on it only in our free time after the work, so development wasnt so fast (around 2 years).
    All graphics asset is done by me, only like two models was downloaded from internet. So thanks for compliment, but I'm still learning it..

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  5. Vesnican

Vesnican

In the last few months, we've worked on the Heroes of Flatlandia and in addition to fixing a variety of bugs (thank you, who have contacted us by email), and have managed to add these improvements:

* Tutorial
    * Full localization into Czech, German and Russian
    * Remove turn limit in the demo version
    * Different gameplay enhancements
    * Brand new race of orcs

We also find skilled sound composer, with whom we are now hard working on our game. Along with that, we are starting to work on campaign and multiplayer.

6. Vesnican

Vesnican

Hi all, we have another big update with brand new faction - Northern Dwarfs

7. digiross

digiross

This looks nice, will have to give it a try.

8. Vesnican

Vesnican

Thank you, now we will focus on world map enhancing and try to implement random map generator.

9. oriongu

oriongu

Insta-buy for me. So far, so good, great job guys.

For the moment, it looks like simplified version of the HOMM series. (which is one on my favorite game). I don't understand why is not more games of this type on the store.

1) First things that was not obvious for me was I need to deselect my current unit in order to move another or to open the city screen. So I kept unintentionally moving the wrong unit.
    2) It would very nice to be able to select your hero abilities as you level up.
    3) The spells are too powerful, once you get lightning spell, the AI is dead. (You just stack up high HP units, and spam lightning.)
    5) Even in high difficulty, I win every time now... AI needs a boost. :)

Looking forward for the next updates.

I'll provide more feedback as I play more. (already lost my first game, so difficulty seems on the spot)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. Vesnican

Vesnican

Thanks for support.

About unit selection.. Once you have selected unit and click on another, small "bubbles" for choose between selection of another army and join them together should appear. Same popup is used for town selection. We dont find any better solution how to decide, when player want to join or select another army. Do you have better idea, how to solve it?

11. oriongu

oriongu

@Vesnican Yes, I understand. That's a good point. Maybe it could do like HOMM where before units merge there is a trade window with options to merge or split units.

Do you have a roadmap for flatlandia?

[SUGGESTION] Also, a worldwide/local highscore page would be great to give players a purpose to replay a scenario.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. Vesnican

Vesnican

Hmm trade window could be a way. Thanks.
    We never thought about highscore table, but maybe it could be good idea. We will discuss it.

Roadmap:
    Enhancing world map (new terrains, more environment models) - currently almost done
    Random map generator - quite harder than we thought it would be, so in first update we add 10 new maps
    Simultanous turns
    Improve gameplay - make 5 units categories, with "rock,paper,scissors" style bonus,
    - add secondary abilities to heroes (pathfinding, siege machine, traps when defending castle,..)
    - spells refactor
    Story based tutorial
    Campaing
    Enhance battle maps
    Online multiplayer

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  13. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Impressive artwork! Good job!

14. oriongu

oriongu

@Vesnican That looks great. +1 for the highscore table :)

15. elementdtlop

elementdtlop

Game is super sick. Cant wait for new maps! A story mode like you access the next map once you complete one would make it more interesting and you could track what dofficulty youve beaten each map. Also fireball is good but lightning needs to be nerfed. Ive found it takes all strategy out of the way. I can just hide in a corner and lightning. If the ai has it it wrecks people.

16. oriongu

oriongu

Totally agree with and about the lightning!!! :)

17. Vesnican

Vesnican

18. Boo-Let

Boo-Let

Looks really good. I check the "made with" forums often. Never have a left a comment on any.

This game looks really impressive. Looks like you actually took your time to create something worth while instead of throwing a bunch of assets in and calling it done.

I hope your hard work pays off. Congrats on a visually pleasing and seemingly smooth game! Keep it up.

19. Vesnican

Vesnican

Thanks for kind words, unfortunately it doesn't really pays off, maybe because we are really bad in marketing at all :D

20. Vesnican

Vesnican

Here you can see how new kingdom panel looks. Hope you will like it.

Attached Files: