Search Unity

Hendrik´s Tools -> Free for non-commercial and commercial use

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HendrikJanssen, Mar 30, 2012.

1. HendrikJanssen

HendrikJanssen

Hello guys!

I´m now here, firstly to introduce myself and what I do and secondly to give you some room for feedback.
    I am
    -16 years old
    -coming from germany
    -programming since I was 12 years old
    and I´m coding in C#, C++, php, Javascript and Java.

However, my biggest wish is to program games in future, therefore I already practice a bit to handle big projects and implement given features and thats what Im now here for.

I want to say something about the tools im currently developing; to be more precisely:
    I show you some things I already did and will do in future, currently I´ts all about 2 Projects.

Conventory

Conventory will be a easy-to-use conversation tool to build up your own, complexe Dialogues. Like other conversation engines it supports visual representation of what your Conversation will look like in the end, to be more precise: a node-based, visual conversation editor will be brought with the scripting.
    But unlike other conversation tools, this thing is fully dependant on auto-generated XML-files. This gives you the ability to
    1) make dialogues portable. What if your team member wants to correct something and you are not online? He can directly edit the source XML-file and thus can react immediatly.
    2) download dialogues directly from web servers. This would be very useful for MMORPGs which have flexible content. The game just downloads the latest dialogues files, this is fast and gives you a load of new options.

The actual dialogue files are parsed in realtime, thus dont waste memory.

The other part will be a fully integrated inventory that gives you the ability to start with the game content directly. You dont have to elaborate around this, its all done.

Config Wrapper

You dont want to use user prefs for several reasons? (User wants to edit confg directly etc, etc)
    I have written a little class that does all the parsing and writing thing for you. Reading a value can be done in 2 line of code, editing the value with another and save the thing with a last line of code.

Now, why do I tell you these things?
    Because I want to have feedback!
    Would you use it? What features do you want to see?

I have to say that everything will be realeased for nothing. Yes, free: No premium, pro or whatever. Just download and use it without restrictions, even commercial projects can use it for free.

Come on, elaborate around it. Discuss what you want to see. I´ll try my best.

Just some additional things:
    -currently, the tools are compiled as a seperate Dll. This is for one reason: Just replace the dll, and you have a new version.
    -Conventory is finished to ~40%. Not that anyone says I only talk bollocks.
    -Since I´m german, i´d really appreciate if you could send me an PM if you recognize any grammatical fail. Just do it.

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Welcome to Unity.

I'm glad to see someone building stuff for Unity. Sadly for you, I'm a programmer and probably won't need any of this, no offense. But if I may, a word of advice: don't use System.XML for your Conventory thing. Use your own parser or a small, compact one. The reason is that using it adds 20 to 30 MiBs to your project - not something you want at all.

3. HendrikJanssen

HendrikJanssen

Hello SevenBits!
    Thank you for your advise, I have to tell you that I already wrote my own, minimal parser. It really fits good into my requirements and is very compact. I also thought about releasing it, but it only fits into my requirements, so it is hardly useful for anyone else.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. SevenBits

SevenBits

You may not think its worth anything, but really, someone may need it somewhere. And while I appreciate the value of free things - I myself have several utilities on my blog (link below), you should try and go commercial at some point.

By the way, your English is excellent for a German kid. That'll certainly help you forward; being bilingual is great. I myself know Spanish.

5. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

6. SevenBits

SevenBits

7. HendrikJanssen

HendrikJanssen

However, I dont really think that this point is now. I didnt have any feedback on my coding style and the quality of my work yet, since I only want to sell a product that is definitly amazing, Im only giving people my work for free to have a look. Thats the best way to improve and learn more from my point of view as you reach more people as if you would sell it. Maybe, at some point I´ll sell anything. But for now, I dont think that my work is worth selling it for ~50$ in the Asset Store.
    Your blog seems to be cool, I´ll definitly give it a go.

Thank you, Im working hard to improve my style. I have to admit, I sometimes regret that I didnt learn vocabs in grade 5-7. I really feel that in some situations when I just dont have the right word to describe what I want to express.
    Spanish is great by the way. I´ve had it 1 year, sadly I had to give it up to reduce my lessons count per week. The only thing I remember is Hola! Que tal? ;)

Anyone else who wants to say anything?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012