Search Unity

Helper objects.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zumwalt, May 26, 2007.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

What helper objects are supported by Unity?
    From 3d Studio Max, Light Wave or Blender?
    (aka bones, dummy helper, point helper)

2. zumwalt

zumwalt

I still haven't ran across this in the docs.
    Does anyone know the answer to this question?

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We essentially import all nodes. So all those nodes including their translate/rotation/scale animation is imported.

4. The MC

The MC

I've had problems with 3DS Max. The points and their respective animations import fine, but any other animations that use them might not import. For example, Spline IK animations (which use helper points) and LookAt animations don't come through (at least, I've never been able to get them to). Near as I can figure, this is a problem with Max, not Unity, as the information Max exports to the .fbx format is far from complete.

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

I have tried exporting the helper objects from lightwave and they do not exist in the obj file, using dummy helper, I got 3ds file to work, (no .max files work) This was the only way I could find to make it work though.

I was hping for a little bit more in depth answer, but guess its going to be trial and error along with file format types since dummy helpers, point helpers nor bones come across when I save as an obj file.

These elements I use for mount points on the object itself, not animation.

6. freyr

freyr

obj files are very primitive mesh data files. They contain only the mesh information and one set of uv coordinates. If you export your model as fbx files, everything should get imported.