Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved HELP With UWP Package

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ladellparks, Jul 29, 2021.

1. ladellparks

ladellparks

Okay so I'm gonna try to explain my situation the best I can. Okay so here goes nothing.
    About a month ago I decided to make my first Visual Novel, I was told to use Ren'py so I learned to use that. The Visual Novel is based off a book I wrote a year ago. The Visual Novel is pretty short but I manage to complete it. My main goal was to put it on xbox so my friends can play it. I found out that Ren'py can't do that and was told that I would need to port my game to an UWP or Appx, So I tired submitting my game to xbox and somehow got denied. Anyways Microsoft was nice enough to tell me to try the xbox partner program and I did that and everything worked until I got to the part where it says packages. I don't know if the packages are my game files I'm assuming they are but it says I need appx or Msix package files.

So after this I did some quick googling and people said I could just put my game into a Msix file, I didn't know how to do this so I went to fiverr and they tried to help me but told me I would have to make my game over from scratch using Unity if I wanted to port it on xbox.

So yesterday I downloaded Unity and thought yeah I can just start over and once I opened unity it looked confusing as F*** "excuse my language"

then someone said to get this Unity Asset which costed over $150.00 for visual novels so I brought that and then they told me after buying it did I try "Unity Cloud Build" that could build my game into a unity one so I didn't have to start over.

Then I got upset and said what was the point in me buying that Unity Asset so I'm thinking about returning it cause someone cause talking to someone on here might be able to help me and I could use the $150.00 to pay them.

So here I am asking for help from anyone and anybody pretty please.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

There's quite a lot to unpack here!

I don't know anything about Ren'py, but Xbox cannot run ordinary/regular windows software (also known as "Win32"). As an indie/not established game developer, the only way to get your software to run on Xbox is to build it as a Universal Windows Platform ("UWP") application. UWP defines a subset of Windows capabilities that are available on all Windows devices, such as Xbox, HoloLens, PCs, etc. For an application to be a UWP application, all of its components (DLLs/EXEs) must be compiled as such. Once you have a UWP application, you can click a few buttons in Visual Studio to create an AppX package.

If Ren'py doesn't allow targeting UWP, remaking your game in Unity is definitely an option if you're willing to invest time to learn how to use Unity and make games in it. Unity has an ability to export your game to UWP out of the box.

Let me warn you, however, that there isn't a quick and easy way (as far as I know) to export your game from Ren'py to Unity. You'd be able to reuse textures/sprites/audio/other visual content, but not anything related to game scenes or scripts.

Unity is a complicated piece of software and it is often daunting to newcomers. I invite you to check out https://learn.unity.com/ which has tons of content to help you get familiarized with our software.

Honestly, I think you should ask for a refund. It seems that you're in way over your head and you should learn how to use Unity first before spending money on such assets. Once you learn how to use Unity, you'll be able to make more informed decisions about whether you want/need to use such assets.

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but that's not what Unity Cloud Build does. It takes a Unity project (not a Ren'py project) and presses the build button for you so you wouldn't have to use your own computer resources to do it. It doesn't do anything that you can't easily do locally.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And I hope this was helpful!

3. ladellparks

ladellparks

thank you this was very helpful, so I'm probably only gonna use unity for making visual novel games so are their videos I can use to get started and how to make a visual novel.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think we have any official ones but quick googling suggests there are a lot of third party made ones on the Internet. I'd suggest familiarizing with core Unity concepts before diving into them though as they will likely assume some level of Unity knowledge.

5. ladellparks

ladellparks

I Will thank you