Search Unity

Question Help with using a mixamo animation on character

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by greengas, Oct 5, 2023.

1. greengas

greengas

Warning: I'm an absolute beginner at blender and Unity so this might be a dumb question.

I made this low poly character in blender and wanted to play a mixamo animation on it but it doesn't work.

Any tips or advice? thanks

2. miguel0l

miguel0l

I've never used Blender models, just models I import the Unity Asset Store or elsewhere so I'm not sure if something will break but you can download the animations from Mixamo and import them into Unity. Then you could set your model's animation type (under the Rig settings) to Humanoid or Generic, whichever works for your purposes.

Afterwards, once you have the Mixamo animations downloaded and imported, you can create an animation controller for your model. Open it up in the Animator window and then you can drag in the animation clips into the space. From there you can start linking up your animations to try and achieve whatever you're hoping for!

You can also refer to this tutorial series on using Mixamo for Unity, it should help give you an idea of what to do as well!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgXA5L5ma2BtyafbHlK7a8XUWtpR6P8uu

3. npatch

npatch

If you use Generic rig, then the bone names matter. You should try renaming the relevant bones to match the ones your animation clip references (when you open up an animation window with an animation being previewed on a model whose bone names are not consistent with the clip's, the names on the left side are usually red).

If you use Humanoid, then Unity supposedly takes care of transfering the motion, provided you have set up your Avatar to let unity know what bones from your model are equivalent to a set of bones Unity expects. It does the same to the animation's data (it can also get its own Avatar) and since it associates custom names from both to a common set of names Unity understands, it can transfer the motion (with some recalculations provided the orientations of the bones are similar).